Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have this problem. I like to sort my game components into bags and Plano-like boxes. This is all well and good, but it makes it really difficult to fit everything back into the game box. Something that could easily be solved by throwing away the usually useless cardboard inserts that come with most games.

But I can't. I mean.. I can. I posses the sheer physical strength to rip the inserts from their boardgameboxy confines. I could probably even muster up a very masculine roar while doing so.

What I lack is the willpower. Because... I paid for that insert. It's part of the game. It might not be a good part, or a useful part, or even a NEEDED part but is still part of the overall package I paid for. I like knowing that I have the complete thing. Hell, I even save those stupid little advertisement booklets that come with most games.

As a result I've taken to turning inserts inside out in order to fit components into places that were never meant to hold them. Or flatten the inserts out so that they still would be there even if they don't retain their original forms. It's... disturbing the lengths I'll go to.

I have gotten rid of a few inserts (Galaxy Truckers, Pandemic, Flash Point Fire Rescue) but each time I did so my soul hurt.

So I come to you now, fellow Board Game Geeks. Offer me some good reasons for why I should just bite the bullet and throw out those useless inserts and make my game component storage SO much easier.

You're my last hope.

(Or, if you're like me, offer me your support. I can't imagine I'm the only one suffering from this.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inserts are there to make storage more efficient. If you can do better with your own components and you need the room, the inserts, in my opinion, aren't serving their purpose.

I especially suggest throwing out inserts if you begin storing expansions in the same box as the base game. In which case, I discard the boxes for the expansion or use the expansion box for other purposes.

If you have the room, I suppose you can store the inserts separately from the boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know exactly how you feel.
But really, it's just silly. What I did was putting the inserts in a large box in my basement. After over a year I went down there, had a look at them and noticed how I have never missed them. All the sudden it was quite easy to throw them away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets easier the more you do so. I am at the point where I get frustrated with game manufacturers for making useless inserts more than I "hurt" throwing away inserts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
alex352 wrote:
But really, it's just silly. What I did was putting the inserts in a large box in my basement. After over a year I went down there, had a look at them and noticed how I have never missed them. All the sudden it was quite easy to throw them away.

Sounds like a great experiment (and I predict a similar outcome).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
I, like once refused to toss even the cracked insert to Hive, but I evolved...and you can too!!! The journey began with me realized several key things:

1) I have a tiny Manhattan apartment, a husband, an infant, and a cat Also, non-gaming stuff (??!!) like clothes, books, food. You know: crap. I already dedicate 4 closet shelves to games. Shelf space is a form of religion where I am from. Getting rid on inserts meant MOAR GAMEY GOODNESS! As I was able to combine all sorts of expansions into one box.

2) Not having the inserts or even the *gasp* original boxes for game expansions would unlikely limit the value of the value in the BBG market. I only get rid of expansion boxes if I am fairly certain I am keeping it and/or if I do sell it, I would be selling it with the base game anyway).

Next step- considering getting rid of some game boxes entirely. This might need an act of God to convince me.

So, yes fellow traveler, you too can move past your irrational love of inserts, that often cheap, flawed storage device that gets in the way of your superior custom inventions...and maybe even a box or two in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

Next step- considering getting rid of some game boxes entirely. This might need an act of God to convince me.

I was with you up until this point. That... That is just crazy talk! *clutches game boxes protectively to chest*

Thanks for the replies so far, people. I guess I need to start throwing out some inserts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The vast majority of inserts are not designed for game storage once the game in question has been, you know, opened and punched.

They're designed to protect the game components while packaged up and in transit to / from a store, and while on display at said store.

Once you get them home, you *should* toss them if they're not getting the job done. Most games store better without their inserts once they're punched, sorted, and bagged.

Basically, if an insert isn't facilitating on-the-shelf storage after punching, I recycle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
tengblad wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

I was with you up until this point. That... That is just crazy talk! *clutches game boxes protectively to chest*

Thanks for the replies so far, people. I guess I need to start throwing out some inserts...

I know, I know. We are considering long term treatment. But if I can do it with the expansion boxes, who KNOWS what I can do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
I know, I know. We are considering long term treatment. But if I can do it with the expansion boxes, who KNOWS what I can do!

I can chuck a box... I gave away my Carcassonne box once I got a big ol' Plano. I guess the next step is chucking a game. Nobody wants my Axis & Allies or Shogun games, so eventually they might be the test cases. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A removed inserts only home isn't the trash bin.

I have a "junk" cupboard that's out of the way that has turned into a retirement home for inserts, never know when they might be needed.

Wait a second . . . . am I a hoarder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are being ridiculous!!!!

Keep your inserts.

Throw away the pieces that don't fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alex352 wrote:

This.

Keep them somewhere until they become a nuisance, it'll be a lot easier to throw them away after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my unused inserts and boxes are down in my basement storage. So, I sorta have the best of both there... but then again, I don't really do the Plano boxes, so it is only one or two inserts and a dozen or so boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
tengblad wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

But.. But.. They look so pretty on the shelves. How could you throw away something so beautiful? If it isn't a crime it's damn well close to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tengblad wrote:

But.. But.. They look so pretty on the shelves. How could you throw away something so beautiful? If it isn't a crime it's damn well close to it...

Did I mention said Manhattan apt was a 1 bedroom?

All of you and your fancy basements. BAH! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
tengblad wrote:

My living situation is similar. Albeit in Sweden and not Manhattan. And without the husband and the kids. I'm looking to move into a two bedroom apartment. Main reason is so that I will have more space to store my games.

That's, uh, perfectly normal and sane, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
tengblad wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:
tengblad wrote:

My living situation is similar. Albeit in Sweden and not Manhattan. And without the husband and the kids. I'm looking to move into a two bedroom apartment. Main reason is so that I will have more space to store my games.

That's, uh, perfectly normal and sane, yes?

You should really just build a house for your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand tossing the inserts, but any suggestion re: game box. WHAT?

I prefer that no one touched my games boxes without latex gloves.

I'm moving and my new game room will be 56'(17.1m) x 13'(3.9m).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I'm moving and my new game room will be 56'(17.1m) x 13'(3.9m).

I suspect the game that game room was designed for is bowling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with you on this. I have never been able to throw out an insert. However, I have removed the insert from the box in a few instances and put the unused insert into storage. I can't understand why with some very well designed games, the insert is so useless. (I'm looking at you Virgin Queen)

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KemKat K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am exactly the same way! I keep the advertisements, the flawed components that have been replaced, and the cardboard/plastic box inserts.

As far as little items, I find that there is a lot of unused space under the insert. I have also flipped inserts upside-down (those cardboard ones) to turn the one row into two. In one case I took the insert from an original game out (now flattened and sitting under other games) and used the inserts from the expansion boxes so I could fit everything in one box.

I like the idea of being able to restore the game to its original condition. (Even if I never will)

If you combine expansions with the original games, you could try storing the unused box inserts in the expansion boxes or even boxes for other games.(because I'm sure you don't throw away a game box)That way, they won't be an eye sore on your shelf, but you will be secure in the knowledge they are there.

Glad to know someone feels the same way about their board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inserts? Heck, I'm pretty sure I've thrown game boxes away. Why store my couple dozen card games stacked in boxes that add weight to my transport (which means I bring less games) or take up extra space on my shelves (meaning I can store less games). They also just add to the clutter. Instead, I carry around 30 small card games in a 3 gallon rubber tub. I take it with me anytime I game, and it increases my options immensely. No more endless debates over which games I should bring this weekend. Take out my tub and bring a couple bigger games. Done and done.

Inserts are just as culprit. I admittedly keep most of my inserts for my bigger games, but if it is in anyway making it difficult to store pieces, out it goes. A plano works better for me 90% of the time. Not only is it more convenient storage and protects my bits better, but it also reduces set-up time meaning I can play even more!

The only reason to keep any of it is if I'm going to sell the game. Most buyers would prefer a box/insert/new look. But you know, I don't own games to sell them. I want to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Walsh
United Kingdom
Ware
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... my BoardGameGeek brothers & Sisters,

I've come here today to say that I, SereneJ, have managed to get rid of my first insert from my recently purchased Stronghold Boxset. It was hard but I battled against adversity and my personal feelings of Board Game completeness.

It's gone now and my setup time of this fabulous games has improved dramatically.

Thank-you for reading.

*sits down nervously*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could take photographs of your inserts and make a quiz for us:

The BGG Which Game Does This Insert Come From? Quiz.

Then at least they will be serving a purpose.

Or you could learn to let go. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.