GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,457 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

GMT Games» Forums » News

Subject: GMT Website and E-Mail Servers down for the Near Future rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

As most of you know, our website (and our ISPs site) was down this weekend and we didn't know much, as our ISP hadn't returned our calls.

Well, we received some stunning news this morning when we finally heard from our ISP, and they made it clear to us that WE were the lone target of a massive DOS attack, large enough to bring all their servers down. The good news is that it was only a DOS, not something where they got into customer data. So thankfully we have no worries about the security of your data.

The bad news is that we have to find a new ISP and that the GMT site is going to be down for awhile. I spent part of my morning talking with the FBI, so please understand that we can't talk in detail about every aspect that we know while there is an ongoing investigation. The only really important news here is a) your data is fine, and b) the GMT website and e-mail servers are down for the near future.

Some details for you customers:

Contacts and E-Mail. First off, the online chat from the website is down until we have the site up again.

Lost e-mail: If you sent us e-mail since about 3 PM Friday afternoon, it is lost, probably forever. So please resend or call the office ladies.

We have set up a temporary e-mail address for the office ladies that you guys can use to contact them while our gmt mailserver is down. That address is gmtoffice5@yahoo.com. Please use this address for contacts with them until further notice. Thanks!

Orders. Obviously, web-ordering is down until the site is back up. Our office ladies are still ready to take your orders, though, as always! Just call 800-523-6111 or e-mail to gmtoffice5@yahoo.com and they'll fix you up.

E-Mail Updates: I use an off-site service for the mass customer e-mail updates, so I'll use that venue as well as CSW and Facebook to give you guys detailed updates as we move forward. Hopefully, we can get this fixed before too long.

Thanks for your patience with us as we work to get everything back up and functioning normally. If you have any suggestions - especially you guys who work in the realm of internet security, feel free to drop me a line at gmtgames@aol.com.

Enjoy the games!

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear this. Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a bad news. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys restoring everything to its previous state. The most important thing is that there is no data loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
Wow. That is stunningly awful news. I hope getting back up and running is quick and as smooth as possible under the circumstances.

And fie on your ISP for firing you as a client.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT very sorry to hear this. The dark side of the net shown for all to see.

If the people who put the effort into such things put that same effort into job creation maybe the economy would improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would any DoS a wargaming company? That just seems very odd. I am sorry to hear that you will need to find a new ISP, but hope you are back up and running soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, at least we can rule out a dissatisfied customer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ransom
United States
Mooresville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well played Fantasy Flight Games. Your move GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tatman
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck mate I hope you can sort it out quickly.

There some truly evil MFs out there.

I hope they get all they deserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it part of the responsibility of an ISP to provide a secure environment for their clients? So, they failed and dumped you? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Merry Christmas!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck getting things back to normal. GMT is the LAST wargame company I would expect someone to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang 'em high!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
Isn't it part of the responsibility of an ISP to provide a secure environment for their clients? So, they failed and dumped you? shake

Given that the ISP was apparently wiped out right alongside the site, it seems they were so overstrained there was nothing they could do at that point short of taking the entire shebang down for at least the duration of the attack (Or crash and burn and remain offline until they can get their stuff back together, which seems to be what happened).

A small ISP can only do so much to mitigate damage/downtime in a DDOS attack, and stands virtually no chance taking on one of the larger botnets one-on-one, and given that they've been targeted once, why would GMT even *want* to stay with an ISP/architecture that has already proven it can be taken out by whoever did it? Even if the ISP wanted, there's only so much they can do to beef up their network, especially on short notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats very disappointing to hear about Cloudflare, but not surprising. Best of luck with finding a new hosting/dns/email provider. Media Temple and Dyn are both great fits, but my recommendations are bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey didn't the FBI help out Steve Jackson Games a few years back....shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
That Sucks.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Blackmar
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Ryan wrote:
hey didn't the FBI help out Steve Jackson Games a few years back....shake

Actually it was the Secret Service.

From the Steve Jackson Games website.

"In 1990, Steve Jackson Games was raided by the U.S. Secret Service during a 'hacker hunt' that went disastrously out of control. We lost several computers, modems, and other equipment. Worse, we lost the manuscripts to several uncompleted games, most notably GURPS Cyberpunk, which a Secret Service agent the next day called 'a handbook for computer crime.' The company had to lay off half its staff, and narrowly avoided bankruptcy."

"Eventually we got most of our property back (though some of it was damaged or destroyed). The Secret Service admitted that we'd never been a target of their investigation. We have a lawsuit pending against the officials and agencies responsible."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
All the very best techie karma I can send you for a speedy recovery

I am not sure of legal issues surrounding ISP's and DoS's but it was obvious you need to move to a more robust ISP that can handle such cowardly acts and protect not just GMT but all their equipment and customers when these things happen.

All the best, Karl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT, if I may suggest something try to set up a temporary web page that would explain your customers what's going on. Not everyone has BGG or Facebook account.

And as others said - find some really professional hosting provider, not some small ISP that can't guarantee safety to your website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Call go Daddy who is your registrar and see if they have a hosted solution that could help temporarily. They should also be able to forward your email to those personal accounts you posted
I emailed you my phone number if I can be of any help

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/website-builder.aspx?ci=78438

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Is Gary McKinnon a wargamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:

The letter states they are looking for a new ISP.

It does not state whether the ISP "dumped" them or admitted they were not up to the task and gave them a refund or GMT decided to find one better suited to the task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who would do this and why. I can't imagine a motive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
I can't imagine a motive.
For fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killy9999 wrote:
sirius23 wrote:
I can't imagine a motive.
For fun?

Why don't they pick on Games Workshop, they deserve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.