Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they'll make a movie about the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vargen666 wrote:
I hope they'll make a movie about the book.

THAT would be sweet revenge indeed !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Forum search is your friend!
Games Workshop makes Amazon pull a science fiction book because it uses the term "Space Marine"
Dear games workshop,
GW Sucks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Didn't see those as I have only just joined BGG.

Thanks for showing me the error of my ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lonnie kim
United States
milpitas
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

actually if you click the link, this article is new and has some information about a GW response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lonnie913 wrote:
russ wrote:

actually if you click the link, this article is new and has some information about a GW response.

A GW response that has been posted in at least one of the above linked to threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Good news is worth repeating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, you'd think if GW really owned the term "space marine," that they'd take a page from the big boys and let certain proprietary words and terms just flow into common use so they'd never be forgotten. Like "kleenex," "xerox," and "coke."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Man, you'd think if GW really owned the term "space marine," that they'd take a page from the big boys and let certain proprietary words and terms just flow into common use so they'd never be forgotten. Like "kleenex," "xerox," and "coke."

Indeed.

Hoover even allowed a dam to be named after them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The on-and-off debate about the nickname for the Washington Professional Football Club has emerged again. I think Dan Snyder should rename them either the Washington Space Marines or Washington Warhammers. Both names sound cool, don't involve pejorative terms, and would piss off GW. Let GW take on Snyder and the NFL in a legal battle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they realised they didn't have a leg to stand on. I'm sure GW is keeping the postal service afloat with its hideously poorly-written cease and desist letters that it sends to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing comes to mind every time a GW conversation comes up. The common defense seems to be that GW must do these things to protect their IP trademarks.. I know nothing about the legal side of that, however it occurs to me that I cannot think of even one single other game company that has ever behaved like this. If this is a legal necessity why is it that we only hear about GW doing things like sending cease and desist orders to fan sites, and requiring sites like BGG to take down all non-licensed material?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
One thing comes to mind every time a GW conversation comes up. The common defense seems to be that GW must do these things to protect their IP trademarks.. I know nothing about the legal side of that, however it occurs to me that I cannot think of even one single other game company that has ever behaved like this. If this is a legal necessity why is it that we only hear about GW doing things like sending cease and desist orders to fan sites, and requiring sites like BGG to take down all non-licensed material?

Bethesda behave the same way. They own the word 'scrolls' according to their lawyers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've changed the cover for Flash Point: Fire Rescue between printings at the request of another publisher that had what I thought was a pretty bogus word trademark. I haven't seen anyone comment on the change yet, so its gone largely unnoticed, and I didn't make a stink about it - but this isn't just limited to GW.

I'd prefer not to get into any details, but I can understand both sides of the story and certainly can see GW getting upset if books had Warhammer in the title as that is book brand they have created. The Space Marine claim seems far fetched as they don't have a series of books like they do for Warhammer.

Now want to talk about real aggressive IP? Look at the Olympics and their protection of anything with 5 rings in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop Sucks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst part of the Olympic committee is that they won the battle against AEG/L5R...

Olympics are more about the money then the sports now...why I don't watch them as much as I used to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
bpasmeny wrote:
The worst part of the Olympic committee is that they won the battle against AEG/L5R...

Let's make it perfectly clear...once more...that it was the USOC which moved against AEG. NOT the International Olympic Committee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Simpson
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If u wanna have some fun, take a look at GW's FB page! Lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/11/cardboard-childre...

Looks as if Rab Florence has seen the funny side of this debacle then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsknighthawk wrote:
If u wanna have some fun, take a look at GW's FB page! Lol!

Do they have an FB page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.