Subject: Playing two player games from two different locations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Goodale
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend that is just getting into RoboRally and has purchased his own Avalon Hill set. We really want to play together, but he lives 300 miles away, and doesn't really have access to play online. I was wondering if anyone has successfully played a two player RoboRally game over the telephone using two sets. Is there any way to set up two decks of cards to make the draw fair and not have conflicts with phase order? Are there any conflicts that can occur with two robots upgraded with the same option, like remote control?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To set up the movement cards fairly, I'd put the highest numbered in one deck, the next two in the other, and so on alternating pairwise. So if the highest is 800 (which it might be), then your decks would be 800, 770, 760, 730, 720,... and 790, 780, 750, 740, 710, 700,...

As for option cards, I'm inclined to say that if you draw one the other player already has, discard it and draw another. This is more for variety's sake than because I can think of any insurmountable conflicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a multi-player PBEM game. As the GM, I deal out all the movement cards as required. Cards are dealt facedown. I then program my cards and "lock it in". I then inform each player what his/her cards are, and they tell me how they are programming them. Once I have everyone's movement programs, I resolve them normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
I ran a multi-player PBEM game. As the GM, I deal out all the movement cards as required. Cards are dealt facedown. I then program my cards and "lock it in". I then inform each player what his/her cards are, and they tell me how they are programming them.

That works OK most of the time, but it doesn't account for declarations of powering down, or the use of Turn- and Phase-Programmed Options. If you've "locked in" you program, and then someone else declares he's dropping The Big One, you may likely want to change your program.

The easiest way might be to have a third person deal the cards and e-mail what cards the distant person gets. All you need is a friend who isn't playing. And that friend could even deal out several hands in advance (reshuffling each time of course). Then each turn, you use the next batch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.