GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Two recommendations for 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned two things about my girlfriends gaming preferences this weekend: she likes dice and money driven economic games. So Ive got two recommendations to ask for:

1) Which is the best "dice game" for 2? Im leaning towards Garden Dice for its theme and its short play time. Im looking for a dice game that is very good for 2 and plays in 30 to 45 mins. After work, before bed kind of game.

2) What are some of the best money driven (i.e. player with the most money wins) economic games that are best with 2? Any length, theme, and mechanics are ok here.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Zutic
Serbia
Belgrade
New Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can warmly recommend Alea Iacta Est. Very nice little game that also plays very fast and has very nice theme for such a dice fest .

Regarding economic games, maybe you can check Merchant of Venus (second edition), it's for sure not short game, but nice thematic game with excellent components and pick up & delivery mehanics + dice driven + the one with most credits wins
B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schwimer
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Castles of Burgundy. That should fit the bill nicely. Just got it and the wife and I are loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao is a brilliant game for 2 that uses dice in a unique way. But it's not really a 'dice' game if you mean what I think you mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zubor wrote:
I can warmly recommend Alea Iacta Est. Very nice little game that also plays very fast and has very nice theme for such a dice fest .

Regardin economic games, maybe you can check Merchant of Venus (second edition), it's for sure not short game, but nice thematic game with excellent components and pick up & delivery mehanics + dice driven + the one with most credits wins
B.

Hmmm Ive been eyeballing MoV for a while now but didnt connect the dots. It seems perfect! Pick up and deliver (we love Railways of the World), dice, money driven... I am going to heavily consider this one. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
Macao is a brilliant game for 2 that uses dice in a unique way. But it's not really a 'dice' game if you mean what I think you mean.

I think I do mean what you think I mean.

Macao definitely sounds interesting but is a little too long for what I am looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwim wrote:
Check out Castles of Burgundy. That should fit the bill nicely. Just got it and the wife and I are loving it.

CoB is very appealing to me. Its got a low price point too ($35 new in stores if I remember correctly), which is a huge plus, and I will probably pick it up eventually. My only concern is playtime. Right now we are looking for short games, since we have a ton more opportunities to play shorter games. Whats the play time for 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Category 1 - not traditional dice, but Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age might fit, especially with the shortish play time. There's also Reiner Knizia's Decathlon, which is free, although you need to provide the dice. Both of these play in about 15 to 30 minutes with two.

Category 2 - Prêt-à-Porter, perhaps? You'll need to get through the rather disappointing rulebook (although there are resources here on BGG to help), but there's a meaty economic slugfest in this game about the fashion industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schwimer
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, haven't played enough CoB to get an accurate reading on playtime, but I'm thinking about an hour for 2 players, after the first few plays to learn what's going on. The setup and clean up will significantly increase that hour, though. Maybe too long per your requirements. Maybe someone with more playtime will chime in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 13 plays since we got it a month ago. We like it but it takes about 90 minutes for us. My wife takes a few minutes sometimes on her decisions, so it can move faster for other people. But I would give it 90 minutes in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickster1970 wrote:
Category 1 - not traditional dice, but Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age might fit, especially with the shortish play time. There's also Reiner Knizia's Decathlon, which is free, although you need to provide the dice. Both of these play in about 15 to 30 minutes with two.

Category 2 - Prêt-à-Porter, perhaps? You'll need to get through the rather disappointing rulebook (although there are resources here on BGG to help), but there's a meaty economic slugfest in this game about the fashion industry.

Ive been looking at Roll Through the Ages for solo play so maybe this will push me to buy it finally.

Pret-a-Porter has actually been on our wishlist for a while now as were drawn to the theme. Its hard to find right now tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been enjoying Arena: Roma II. A bit of dice, a bit of card drafting, a bit of worker placement. Nice game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobpony wrote:
We've been enjoying Arena: Roma II. A bit of dice, a bit of card drafting, a bit of worker placement. Nice game.

This looks like a very good fit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves dice games. One that she likes a lot that doesn't take too long to play is Ra: The Dice Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
balzi wrote:
.. if you mean what I think you mean.

haha - "dice game"? I do not think that means what you think it means!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
stemcider wrote:
balzi wrote:

Inconceivable! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great dice games that last under an hour:

Yspahan (if the box does not have the 2 player rules included you can get them online. The game does work with 2)

Dice Town

Garden Dice

Seasons (works well with 2; I do not like it with more than 2)

A great game about making lots of money (2 player only): Jambo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
stemcider wrote:
balzi wrote:

Probably not. I meant games that literally have "Dice" in their title. I wasnt very clear on that and Ive been getting good recommendations anyway. I just always see a ton of games that are called "XXXXX Dice" and they all seem pretty cheap and a couple get good reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
Schwim wrote:

CoB is very appealing to me. Its got a low price point too ($35 new in stores if I remember correctly), which is a huge plus, and I will probably pick it up eventually. My only concern is playtime. Right now we are looking for short games, since we have a ton more opportunities to play shorter games. Whats the play time for 2?

My wife and I also love it. It's around 60 minutes with 2 players, probably less if you've learned the game and aren't prone to AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

Yspahan (if the box does not have the 2 player rules included you can get them online. The game does work with 2)

Dice Town

Garden Dice

I have Jambo and we love it. We want more games like this that take a similar amount of time. We have Jambo and Citadels as the only 2 games that we can play as after work, before bed games, and they are getting played out. We also wanted to add some dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Dice Town

Garden Dice

I have Jambo and we love it. We want more games like this that take a similar amount of time. We have Jambo and Citadels as the only 2 games that we can play as after work, before bed games, and they are getting played out. We also wanted to add some dice.

Jaipur would fit the bill for you quite well, but there's no dice in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
stemcider wrote:
Schwim wrote:

My wife and I also love it. It's around 60 minutes with 2 players, probably less if you've learned the game and aren't prone to AP.

Everyone loves this game! Its hard for me to bite on euros because they seem so boring and dry in videos and explanations. Of course they really shine when you play them! But my money is in short supply so I can only buy games that "pop," so to speak, or after I try them.

I might have to get this one tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely recommend Castles of Burgundy. It is a fantastic two-player game that plays in around 90 minutes, but could be played in 60 minutes with experienced players. Alea Iacta Est is also a good game, although it is lighter than Castles of Burgundy. It plays best with more players, but it works fine with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoB will most likely be the next game I purchase in that price range and length of play.

Unless I snag some of these solitaire wargame ebay bids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.