Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of CoC and it was a lot of fun. I love the tech tree, the map, and the interesting decisions I was making as I built my civ. I thought the biggest issue was the randomness of the cards (both event and objective cards). Event card "solutions" have been discussed elsewhere but for objective cards nothing interesting has popped up.

I feel like if you were given 6 objective cards at the start of the game (or something like draw 8, choose 6) it would take some luck out of drawing a card completely in favor or counter to your strategy and provide some initial direction where the game is really open.

Has anyone tried something similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to trade Objectives with your opponetns. We did this in the game I played and it worked out well if 2 players don't like an objective they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do it if you like. The reason it is not like that in the rules is simply "information overload".

One of the many design challenges when doing a game like this is to present information gradually in a way that makes sense. Thats why for instance Wonders arent open from the beginning, or action/objective cards are given in increments. These small choices helps make a game of this size and with this many options appear "streamlined" and "accessible".

In other words - I would not do it with new players or AP prone players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
In our experienced group's last game during setup each player drew 3 Action cards and 3 Objective cards and kept 1 each. We liked having choices of starting cards and will probably play this way in the future. Our variant doesn't increase the number of Objective cards each player gets during the game as the OP was proposing, but added enough variety for us to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...trading objective cards certainly helps...we didn't realize that til after the game.

I was thinking that being given all my cards would have actually saved some time on the first game. We set aside a little bit of time to look over techs, but I could have spent a ton of time trying to figure out what route to go down. The one objective card didn't do much for me knowing I was going to be getting 6 more...

But thinking about it, 7 cards might be way too much in the other direction. I might suggest starting with 3-4 cards and receiving 1 for after the first 3-4 turns. Thanks for the reply!

Separately, I feel like drawing the 3 action/objective cards and keeping 1 as a solution doesn't help provide much more direction which is more of what my complaint was about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
What we do is to start with 2 objective cards, and dont draw one at the end of the fifth round.

gives you a bit more control over completing objectives without giving you too much to think about at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP. The Objective card system is very random. For such a long game and interesting game it doesn't feel right that a player can win simply by drawing lucky objectives that they have already completed without even knowing, while others get objectives that would now require a lot of work.

I like the idea of just drawing them all at the beginning, but it might be a bit of information overload. It would be a fairer more balanced game though.

You could also say then whenever you draw an Objective card, draw 2 and keep 1. That at least gives you a choice each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.