Subject: List of variant rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
These are all the variants we have come up with after playing CoR intensely over a few months. They try to fix what we feel are CoR's main problems: unnecessarily time-consuming complexity and poor victory conditions.

1. New victory calculation
Drop written auto-victory conditions, instead everything is measured in victory points, earned in three different ways.

i, Each turn elected as king is +2 vp for the controlling house.
ii, Each killed heir is -2 vp for that house
iii, Count Economic vp as written, but only on Affairs of State turns

10 vp wins an autovictory, or most vp at the end of game wins.
(Obviously 10 vp is a bit of a guess, but we felt that the bar needs to be set fairly low to make an autovictory more of a threat (and thereby cause killing of heirs to reduce vp.

2. Exile
Make two changes to the exile rules. First, exiled nobles CAN replenish their strength while exiled. Secondly, exiled nobles are immune to influence attempts.
(The game fails to recreate historical exiles, or at least the possibility of coming back successfully from one. These changes would make exile more appealing.)

3. Undiscriminating fate
Introduce a random death rule. At the end of each turn, roll on the Heirs killed table:

1. York
2. Lancaster
3. Buckingham (even if a 2 player game)
4. Warwick (even if a 2 or 3 player game)
5. No result
6. Roll twice (if rolled a second time = No result)

For resulting house, determine one in-play heir/noble randomly and remove that card/block from the game permanently.
(The game cannot reproduce the death of Edward IV as is. Also, it needs a hand of fate to break up a lead, especially in two-player games. This is borrowed from a Kingmaker variant.)

4. Change uprisings and raids
Change all card texts with planned uprisings and raids to this:
“Player of this card gains one OPS after resolving this event. Resolve by drawing a shire randomly (as with Plague). Check the home estates in the shire, then roll a die to determine one of the eligible nobles randomly who becomes the Responding Noble. No writs. Follow normal rules after that.”
(The original rule is not good and adds a lot of time in adding a conscious choice. Let fate decide, just like in Kingmaker.)

5. Change mercenaries
Add a card text for all mercenary events: "Player of this card gains one OPS after resolving this event."
(We rarely saw mercs in play, not worth the effort. Minor change.)

6. Change pursuits
The winning side in battle can always pursue, even though no heir is present on the other side.
(We don't mean that hundreds of thousands should die. What we're after is more nobles becoming casualties in the field to open up the game.)

7. Elimination table
Whenever a noble loses his last step, for whatever reason, roll on the Elimination table.
(Again, more casulties needed.)

8. Simplify tactics
Remove Intercept and Evasion capabilities.
(This is very radical and not in everybody's taste, but it will make for a much shorter game that plays more like Kingmaker.)

9. Yet another victory variant
If #1 feels too far-fetched, use the old victory rules, but at the end of the game, award the win to the player with the most turns as king and use economic vp as a tie-breaker.
(The original rules make an auto-victory almost impossible in a multi-player game making the win come down to economic vp only, which we feel is disappointing and not very glamorous.)

10. The Kingmaker variant
I have the beginnings of a variant to make the game play more or less like the original Kingmaker game, for one thing, it will no longer be card-driven. This is not finished, so I will withhold it for now.

That's it. Use any, some, or all of these if you want, but remember they are variants, completely unofficial and used at your own risk.

Björn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bjorn! I'll definitely give these a try.

I notice you are not recommending a change to the wintering/parliament mechanics here. Do you think it's best as is? I'm talking specifically about removing pieces from the board every turn to attend parliament and then putting them back on their home estates during winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, that is an official optional rule as far as I'm concerned which I heartily recommend using. The one case where I think the original rule may actually work better is in a 2 player game, but I am unsure of this.

I remembered a variant to the Quick rules just now that we wanted to try. Instead of letting each block replenish one step, just leave all blocks as they are. No one gets free healing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Bjorn I really appreciate your work in this. I STILL have not played a game so I will play the RAW the first few times.

Usually I dislike mechanic changes in any game as they often come about due to bad play and new rules to try and fix that bad play. However for this game I make an exception because there are clearly some genuine issues some people have come up with. I feel these issues may not be important for some (or not seen as issues at all) but will with others so options in this case are very welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying this now with 1, 2, 5, 6, & 7 ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
How did it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Thanks, it went very well indeed! The point-based victory conditions in particular I thought went much better (and we thought 10 VP win seemed right). In the previous game, it seemed that only the Economic VP would really matter.

We cared about keeping heirs alive and hunting down one another's. We cared who got to be King. We saw lots of Mercenary use. We even had an Exile box used!

I wrote about our game briefly, here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd12acb/79203, with a link back to this thread.

One issue that I wondered about but did not have any better ideas is that it felt a bit odd upon Affairs of State that suddenly everyone that impulse cared about one another's friendly shires, but not about population value occupied. This was because of the interaction between Affairs of State skipping the Influence Phase and also being the rare opportunity for Economic VP. It still worked, just seemed jarring representationally to suddenly care about one aspect of shires and not another. But it does seem necessary to somehow only score Econ VP occasionally with the variant victory conditions.

Thanks for the excellent variants! Best, Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.