Subject: Axis: why take Sevastopol? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
According to 16.4, the only way to get the Axis Expedition units released is to take Sevastopol (and Odessa, natch).

Now, if the game is a campaign game, starting with Barbarossa (June 41), then by the time the game reaches Citadel (Summer 43), the satellite forces are permanently restricted to Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria (and the Italian block is then eliminated).

Sevastopol has no resources. Why should the Axis really bother with it all that much, when it's capture gives them nothing, and they only get to use the R,H and B forces until Summer 43 start, at best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a rule I would only apply if starting the game at Summer '43 or later. To my mind (this isn't official), it's rather like the startline for the scenario: you use it if you start the game there, but otherwise, it's just helpful as a benchmark to compare to your progress.

Note 2.66: "Restriction applies permanently to any Satellite unit that has been eliminated and rebuilt." So if you're starting the campaign there, you assume that the satellite armies were destroyed during winter '42, and thus are permanently restricted. However, if you had started earlier than '43 and they hadn't been destroyed, they wouldn't be restricted. Likewise, if you lost them during summer '42, they would be restricted sooner than historically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agree 100% with spartax...I always thought the satellite restriction only applied when starting in 1943. After all, the Winter 42 scenario notes say all Axis satellite expeditions have been released, but you would not release the expeditions during a campaign game in December '42 if Odessa/Sevastopol had not been captured.

I also think you are assuming a hex is not important unless it is worth PP. Production points are important, but many hexes on the board (including Sevastopol) give benefits to the side holding them other than PP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, the rulebook seems to say the rule applies:

3.14 Campaign Game "Play each Summer and Winter scenario in sequence, and observe the rules noted in 3.12"

3.12 "Note any changes in Air Firepower and all scenario special rules that apply."

Now, S'43 Special Rules say: "All satellite units are permanently restricted, and must remain within or adjacent to Rumania (1939), Hungary, and Bulgaria (Italian 8I is eliminated and cannot be rebuilt). This also applies to all future scenarios"

This would pretty much seem to apply that all of this is supposed to happen once Sunmer 43 is reached.

The only thing we couldn't figure out for sure was what happened to the R, B, and H units: do they have to leave, and go back, or do they stay and fight, and only when destroyed do they get rebuilt in R, B or H and stay there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And, of course, I find this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/291011/restricted-satellites...

Well, so much for that. Well, that does give more of an incentive to take Sevastopol, now that you can keep the forces it creates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan de Marco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at it this way: with Sevastopol in Axis hands, you don't need to garrison the Black Sea Coast, and can use those units in Bessarabia (if defending). Should you lose Sevastopol, a naval drop by the Soviets behind your lines suddenly opens up. Oh no! Ploesti Oil in danger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juan_de_Marco wrote:
Look at it this way: with Sevastopol in Axis hands, you don't need to garrison the Black Sea Coast, and can use those units in Bessarabia (if defending). Should you lose Sevastopol, a naval drop by the Soviets behind your lines suddenly opens up. Oh no! Ploesti Oil in danger!

Good points here. Besides that, in real life, Germany wanted to keep the Soviets from holding Sevastopol in order to stem the bombing of Romanian oil refineries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McBay
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking Sevastopol allows control of the Eastern Black sea, which lets Novgorod be in Sea Supply for a pincer movement on the Caucasus Region from Army Group A.

It also allows you to reinforce said pincer with the Hungarian expedition and the Romanian 4th Army to supplement the existing 3rd.

In the few games I've played, Sevastopol has been hotly contested because of this. The Soviets barely have enough resources to hold the Caucasus AND keep troops from swinging towards Moscow. If there was another attack from behind, it would break their backs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.