4 Posts

Monopoly» Forums » Variants

Subject: Super Monopoly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
One of the major problems with monopoly is that, inevitably, the roll of the dice around the board will mean that some players will end up with sets, and some won't, despite their best efforts. (And the people who roll the dice last are the most likely victims of this.) These players, unless someone takes pity on them, are effectively out of the game. Sets are life in Monopoly.

So - this is our variation, in an attempt to fix this major design flaw.

Every single property that's landed on goes up for auction immediately. The person who lands on the property gets to bid at the listed price first, and if there are no other takers s/he gets it for that price. But other players can start the bidding at 10% more, and go from there.

What this means is that players should be able to get at least one set - and if they don't, it's not the fault of the dice. Which set they get is of course a matter of their bidding skill.

But it strikes me that, for a game about monopolies, there aren't many auctions under the ordinary rules. This variant makes for much greater player participation, and gives all players a reasonable shot at a good start in the game.

What do you think? It makes Monopoly playable for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffer Batica
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Monopoly recently using some of the variants listed here:
http://theswitchingyard.com/monopoly.html

Basically: start with half the cash ($750). If you land on a property you don't want, you can put it up for auction (in which you cannot participate) and whoever wins the auction must pay you the money (a finder's fee).

Also, whenever a doubles is rolled, the next unowned property clockwise from GO gets auctioned, money paid to the bank.

And, you cannot buy the third property of a set if you already own the other two. That property must be put up for auction.

This makes you a lot more careful with your money and makes the game play so much faster. We finished in about an hour (although we only played to the first bankruptcy - as in most games of Monopoly, it's a pretty foregone conclusion as to who is to ultimately win.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chellman
United States
New Berlin
WI
flag msg tools
mbmb
jafferbatica wrote:
Played Monopoly recently using some of the variants listed here:
http://theswitchingyard.com/monopoly.html

Basically: start with half the cash ($750). If you land on a property you don't want, you can put it up for auction (in which you cannot participate) and whoever wins the auction must pay you the money (a finder's fee).

Also, whenever a doubles is rolled, the next unowned property clockwise from GO gets auctioned, money paid to the bank.

And, you cannot buy the third property of a set if you already own the other two. That property must be put up for auction.

I played this with my parents tonight and I thought it went really well. The gameplay (particularly the initial purchasing phase) was much quicker and more engaging. I highly recommend these rules to anybody interested in playing monopoly again (or if you're forced to at some sort of sadistic family function).

Has anybody here had experience playing with the following rules that I lifted off the website that Jaffer mentioned?

Quote:

Modern Art Meets Monopoly, Take Three
Stephen "Snoop" Glenn

When you land on an unowned property, you auction it off...

A. the first property sold in a group is a closed fist auction
B. the second property in a group is once-round-the-table (ending with the player who landed there)
C. the third property sold in a group is an open auction.
D. Railroads and Utilities could all be open auctions.
E. For the Purple and Blue properties, use (B) and (C).

Modification from the Conductor: I'd use rule (E) for Utilities and rules (A), (B), (C) and (C) again for Railroads.

I wanted to try them with my family but I was afraid that they wouldn't understand the implications. I'm very interested in trying them sometime though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.