GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,366 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is Sherlock Noise's buddy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was just wondering about the following:

If I play lots of viruses and run on Sherlock is the cooperation forced to target a specific program?

I mean how stupid would a game be that goes like this:
(Considering to have Cyberfeeders to play for the viruses)

1)
Install virus -> trash from RnD (Noise)
Install virus -> trash from RnD (Noise)
run Sherlock -> both viruses back on the deck
draw
draw
-> go to 1)

I know it won't happen often, but is the corp really forced to put stuff back?

So is Sherlock Noise's buddy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real strategy is "don't install Sherlock against Noise," or better yet, "don't put Sherlock in your deck."

The Corp is indeed forced to initiate the trace if the runner doesn't break the subroutines, and the runner is forced to use all his link against it. Similarly, the Corp couldn't avoid getting money from Shadow during an Account Siphon run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand? Sherlock targets installed programs. If the viruses are in the heap, they're no longer installed and not targetable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DRDRJDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8LYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWY JGLDDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8RJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4Q
United States
DRJNZ7Z3JGLYBDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8OQ9JDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1B
flag msg tools
badge
johncraven wrote:
I don't understand? Sherlock targets installed programs. If the viruses are in the heap, they're no longer installed and not targetable.

I think he means "install virus, trash a card from R&D". Then the viruses are the only valid choices for Sherlock to put back on top of the runner's deck, so they could be played again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
johncraven wrote:

I think he means "install virus, trash a card from R&D". Then the viruses are the only valid choices for Sherlock to put back on top of the runner's deck, so they could be played again.

Right!

And I suggest a deck that runs exclusively viruses as programs, except maybe some Djinns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Josef
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this for a school assignment or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oulurocks wrote:

I thought it might a funny topic.
Also this whole scenario would mean Sherlock is unplayable against a Noise mill deck!

(And I mean unplayable even if you had Sherlock in your deck)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingLz wrote:
Oulurocks wrote:

Also this whole scenario would mean Sherlock is unplayable against a Noise mill deck!

It's a reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
KingLz wrote:
Oulurocks wrote:

It's a reference.

Oh my bad.
I actually thought it might be meant in a mean way.

Of course this is for my university's Netrunner Science Center's Netrunner to real world public relations research.
(I really hope this is grammatically correct and/or understandable)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
It's a reference.

I was thinking of that thread as well. Thank you for saving me the trouble of searching for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingLz wrote:

So is Sherlock Noise's buddy?

'Tis elementary, my dear Noise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingLz wrote:

And I suggest a deck that runs exclusively viruses as programs, except maybe some Djinns.

Sherlock bouncing the djinns would be less favorable for you. Best not include them.

Also, if you're running noise, the corp has the option to a) not install and b) not rez sherlock if he is included in the deck. The same way the corp has the option not to install or rez an enigma if you have yog on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had someone try this once when I was joking around with a Stronger Together deck. I think eventually he realized that with my archives iced up and him just causing everything to go back to the top he was never going to get his rig back up considering he was spending his actions to redraw it. It helps Anarch if the corp is doing really bad. However if they are doing well it will just seal the deal and give the corp the win. You can mill me forever but if thats all you can do spending two actions for one card off the top of my deck then eventually I am just going to advance to victory when you have no breakers to stop me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
Azeltir wrote:
"don't put Sherlock in your deck."

The Corp is indeed forced to initiate the trace if the runner doesn't break the subroutines, and the runner is forced to use all his link against it. Similarly, the Corp couldn't avoid getting money from Shadow during an Account Siphon run.

Sherlock is great.

Anyway, while the corp is forced to initiate the trace, is the corp actually forced to give the runner a tag or resolve the effect or whatever it is that the trace does?

I'm sure this is probably just a stupid rules question that has an obvious answer I've missed somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
What if your opponent put an "End the Run" ICE in front of Sherlock? Now you need something to break it, and Sherlock will put that program on the top of your stack.

Yes, the situation you posted would be fun, but it is very unlikely to happen against a good corp player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Corp would have to resolve the effect, so, if they were the only two eligible targets, it would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont put sherlock in your deck.

Regarding sherlock references.

One time (ever), I saw someone rez a sherlock in a situation where it was actually really good (though ichi wouldve been better). Comments from watching players:
"Wow, that sherlock was actually good".
"No shit".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I'd want Sherlock would be if I wanted more than 3 Ichis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
* or with ChiLo!
* or vs a runner with Sacrificial Construct out.
* or vs an Anarch with mimic and ice carver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.