Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We got the Limited Edition of Carcassone out this week. If you haven’t seen it, this set contains the River, Builders, and the Expansion. It was a nice change from the standard Hunters and Gathers we’ve been playing for a few years.

My wife and I played the first game, and the discussion of the U-turn rule came up. I guessed that it just meant back-to-back, and that’s the way we played it. We often play H&G with just the two of us, so this was a refreshing game. She did a nice job of cleaning up with her Farmers, and ended up beating me by well over 50 points. Usually I hold back in Hunters and Gathers, so I don’t win as many, but this game I tried my hardest and was utterly destroyed.

Near the end of the game, Justin and Dara showed up and we taught them as we finished our game. We then broke for dinner. After dinner, we played another game of Carcassone with all four of us. The wife totally crushed us all again, and everyone said they enjoyed the game, and now want me to get all the other expansions. So for all the nay-sayers out there, they have breathed new life into an old game that I dreaded hearing requested..

Next we pulled out Goldbrau. This was Ally, Dara and my second game, and Justin’s first. Dara continued to do well at cornering the stocks on a brewery and a bar. Somehow, Ally squeaked out the win, by one thaler. I’m still not sure how. I came in second, with Dara third, and Justin last.

We decided to try another game, which played about the same, but Dara won by a huge margin as she had perfected her picks every turn, so she was basically doing twice as much and paying half as much as the rest of us, every turn. She had a bar that covered half the table, and managed to get sole ownership if it, and the brewery contracted with it. That pretty much spelled our doom.

We finished out the night with a game of Frank’s Zoo. I spent the game helping everyone else with strategy, as I seem to have a knack for it (in this group anyway), and seem to win every game by at least 10 points each time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.