GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,926 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Variants

Subject: FORMULA D: NASCAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, they're BRAKES (things that slow down the car), not BREAKS (when something stops working).

Most of the tracks seem to be a 2 groove surface, but can get more grooves as rubber is laid down on the tracks. If you're working the idea that 3 laps corresponds to a full lap race, I guess I could go along with 20% chance of wrecking on the outer lane, but 20% every turn is a pretty high risk. I can't recall if Indy is 3 or 4 lanes (I have the map, but I'm not sure), that would make sense to have that outer line rule.

I'm not sure limiting to fourth gear will be as much fun...just make the game seem slower. The real trick will be stopping in the corners using 5th gear (which generates an 11-20) or even 6th gear (generating 21-30). If you want to control the game, just go with more laps (like 5, 6, or 10) instead.

As far as moving someone aside, there needs to be a risk of wrecking/spinning out the car you're trying to move. With that, you need to allow some sort of leverage for retaliation. In other words, even if a car is wrecked and out of the race, it needs a chance to come back out and "settle accounts". Sort of like Carl Edwards took out Keselowski last year (or the year before) in the Nationwide race when he came back out 50 laps down just to take a shot at him. Would add an interesting aspect as the wreck-er tries to keep clear of the wreck-ee. Racing for points is a big aspect of racing in NASCAR when a car goes out and tries to get back on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the cars separating out is true to the real racing, though. One thing that could help equalize it (and crank up the tension) is to have cautions. These could happen whenever a car gets into the wall or spins out when it gets bumped. With a higher lap count, attrition would kick in and encourage more cars to pit, causing a shakeup in the running order....

Regardless, it is your game. Just some thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stevenson

TORONTO
msg tools
Cautions would be interesting! Might have to try that sometime soon. I guess there could be different rules added depending on how many laps. The group that I will be racing with is a mix of different people.. some might start to get bored after the 4th lap... I'll have to do another test run soon before the big race.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more quick thought on the 5th gear die. Cars carrying too much momentum into a corner will want to slide up the track (which is what you'd be doing anyway to "use up" your roll). The other option is to slide up into another car, potentially wrecking it and yourself....

It almost seems like there should be some sort of "control roll". Some drivers in NASCAR do some amazing things to avoid wrecking and others just seem to lose it any time they get in a little bit of trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...extending on the thought....

Control rolls could be influenced by skills, if you wanted to run some sort of racing campaign. You could also get "special abilities" like your Intimidator skill (maybe causing other drivers to get a penalty to their control roll if they're within 2 spaces of this car).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stevenson

TORONTO
msg tools
Ya, some of the abilities have similar effects in a way. One ability isn't affected by group spinouts, while another one creates a higher risk for group spinouts, another one enables you to bump a car into the wall or car without risking damage etc. I read a variant for collisions from someone on here (Shane Hoopfer);

"- If a racer intentionally collides with a car twice in one race it is black flagged and eliminated from the race.
- If a racer intentionally collides with a limping car it is black flagged and eliminated from the race."

I know it's difficult to choose where to land in corners because you want to maximize the distance, so if you keep colliding with the same car in corners, it's fine.. but if someone intentionally collides with the same car on the straits, then instead of black flagging them, they are forced down one or two gears.. that'll clean the race up a bit. It would have to be per lap, rather than per race... so once a lap you can intentionally collide with the same car 3 times before you are penalized.

For the most part, my friends that are playing in this competition are competitive, but not hardcore racing fans.. so a blend of good racing with throwing the cars around into each other will create a good gaming atmosphere haha The competition will be a monthly race for a year, so I'm sure people involved don't want to finish last, so for the most part we'll see good driving, but I'm 100% certain within each race there will be a rivalry that could create some serious havoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stevenson

TORONTO
msg tools
Got my last shipment in yesterday! Now my lot is finally complete. Still would've liked to have had King Richard in my list, but they never made his car in this series...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised you didn't include the need for gas in your variant. Gas need is a major part of Nascar and a major reason to pit. Seems like it would be something simple to include also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thought. Maybe even tie fuel consumption to the size of die used (or when a vehicle accelerates). Tire wear would be another things that could be simulated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stevenson

TORONTO
msg tools
Very true! I based this off a 3 lap race (which has been the norm with my group)... so maybe include gas in a 5+ lap game. Would definitely be worth doing. Perhaps every car has an X amount of gas points that get used up every time you redline and roll a 12 on the green die.. (top gear)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.