Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm progressing into the meta a little here. And I almost feel silly bringing this up, because it borders into the absurd.

Anyway, are there any ... I hesitate to call them "games" that require zero components and, preferably, zero opponents?

I suppose these might be called mental games, puzzles, or mind exercises.

On a similar but separate note, are the any games you can play "with" other unaware people?

Weird request, but I'm curious to see what other people have to say on the issue.

So far, I've found this: http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/2008/12/c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
iidhaegn wrote:
On a similar but separate note, are the any games you can play "with" other unaware people?

The Question game:

I made a number of people quite mad in my younger days, before I realize that playing this is not always a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I used to play this game all the time. He usually won, but I gave him a run for his money... Hmmm... Now to teach other people......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
iidhaegn wrote:
I know I'm progressing into the meta a little here. And I almost feel silly bringing this up, because it borders into the absurd.

Anyway, are there any ... I hesitate to call them "games" that require zero components and, preferably, zero opponents?

I suppose these might be called mental games, puzzles, or mind exercises.

If learning a language, you can exercise your vocabulary by naming the objects & saying the numbers (e.g. street numbers) which you see around you in the target language.

Practice your math skills on random numbers you see around you (e.g. on license plates), e.g. computing sums, or finding factors, or rapidly estimating how many of something you see and then counting to see how close your estimate was, etc.

Observation games, e.g. noticing as many instances as possible of some phenomenon (e.g. the bizarrely large number of clothing and accessories which have a US flag).

Mentally sort people you see according to various criteria (height, weight, age, hair length, whatever). Hmm, perhaps reading about autistic behaviors could provide more such ideas of structured puzzles/games/activities.

Quote:

Try to steer a conversation so that the other person says some specific strange word without noticing that you steered them to do so.

Intentionally misuse or mispronounce some common word and see if/how people react. More generally violate some innocuous cultural custom, e.g. physical distance between people when talking, length of continual eye contact, etc.

Pickpocketing them as street magicians do? Sounds dangerous and difficult!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A game with no components that can be played solo...are you just finding a really roundabout way to describe thinking? Thinking is pretty great though

As for games with unaware opponents. I did a lot of improv theatre, sometimes I adopt one of the rules of an improv game, I win if I can carry on the conversation without the other person thinking I'm talking wierd. It's pretty easy with something like the alphabet game (each utterance must start with the next letter of the alphabet) but harder to pass off as natural if you've decided your statements will rhyme with what the other person is saying.

Play too many games with unaware opponents and you'll get a reputation though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
A solo game with no components?

Hmm... let me think:

Rubout
Hump!
Choker
Fiddlers End
What Do You Know About the Game Cocks
... and of course Spank the Monkey

To answer your question somewhat seriously, one componentless solo game I like to play involves finding inappropriate euphemisms to insert into any situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Although not solitaire, games folks play to pass time while traveling come to mind (ie SlugBug, I Spy, etc) and the following may qualify as "games you can play 'with' other unaware people".

My favorite was always Treknotland. It can be played in a car with one person or even a large group. Its a riddle with a group twist. The start player decides the riddle's answer and proceeds by giving hints in the form of a riddle. This is accomplished by naming what is "in" Treknotland and is "not in" Treknotland. Players who think they know the answer must answer back in the same riddle form correctly and consecutively to let the start player know they have solved the riddle without giving it away to any other players. The player that solved the riddle is not excused from play and assists in providing hints to other players in riddle form, not to mention assisting in "authenticating" other players who have solved the riddle.

I crashed a party of 50 from a pick up truck hood in less than 30 minutes with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.