Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Hayes
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hey there everyone,

Have any further developments been made for AV:T?

I was never able to figure out the projectiles, even with the two practice examples on the forum...does anyone feel like providing one or two more for me? If not, what would help me understand it? It just never clicked...there were always one or two steps I didn't understand, or one or two things that weren't explained enough.

I haven't looked through the rules in about a year, so I will have to reread and go through it all again.

Anyway, I wanted to check on the progress because I see so much more potential for AV:T that I don't want to miss it if something is happening.

~ Joshua

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Frans
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not aware of any activity intended since version 2.0 (except of course our want for shipbook 2 and maybe another nexus journal). There had been quite a bit of activity working toward SB2 for a while last year, but it seems to have tapered off.

I would be happy to help with kinetics though! I haven't played AV:T in a few months (at least) but I'm always interested to get it to the table. I will try to find some time to break out my stuff and throw together another example, but in the mean-time see if you can try running through the samples from the website and come up with some specific questions. That would be an easier way to try to address it I think.

Find out which steps you were having trouble wrapping your head around and I can try to tailor the examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can do kinetics just fine by following along through the steps without "getting" the math or having everything visualized. From time to time, I've messed things up because I thought that I had them visualized correctly ...

As Ryan said, narrow down the problem and we'll be happy to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hayes
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks guys,

I will read through the rules again and do the examples in the book, and then the examples online.

I think my main problem was that the mini-examples in the side columns were referred to by other examples with different information, or that one or two of the examples in the side columns were missing.

I'll post again when I have confirmed what I don't understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Burnside
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
If you find examples that are referring to missing or incomplete or inaccurate information, please do me a favor:

List the page number, whether it's sidebar or main text, and what you THINK it should point to, or what's missing. This makes it MUCH MUCH easier for me to fix on the next printing!

Thanks!

I am still working on SB2 - my problem is that my primary source of income dried up in mid December, and I've been scrambling at lower paying freelancing trying to line up better paying work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hayes
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sure thing - would you like me to post it here, or email it to you?

I completely understand - there is no need for rush, there is just patient anticipation

My confusion might actually be based on subtle assumptions or expectations. Either coilguns and missiles aren't nearly as powerful as I thought, I wasn't flying nearly fast enough, or I am not understanding how many individual projectiles I can fire in a segment or two.

I haven't reread section F on projectiles yet, so this may be obvious, but on page 110 in the 2nd edition rules book, the shellstar targeting the Boskone has A LOT of projectiles on it. Maybe it is because the Rafik and Wasp are smaller ships, but I can't seem to get nearly as many projectiles with them - so little that they are easy to dodge or do minimal damage.

I will read the section thoroughly in the next week or two and refine my comments.

EDIT: Another question: How far apart should ships start in a standard duel? Whether they start stationary or moving at a chosen vector would affect this - I'm not sure which is the default. Since the average turns per game is between 5 and 15 (I think I read that somewhere), a duel is won by one or two strong hits over the course of a handful of passes. Assuming this is correct - I can't find a situation where the Rafik/Wasp's coilguns and missiles do substantial damage - which means I have something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Coilguns and missiles aren't as powerful as you thought. Sort of.

The Rafik and Wasp carry tertiary coilgun/missile armament to:

1. Constrain the maneuver of your opponent.

2. Force your opponent to burn fuel or power to dodge or shoot down the attack.

3. Kill freighters and other helpless objects at a distance. (This is completely outside of the scope of AV:T, but it would happen as part of the activities of a commerce raider in the universe background.)

4. Use EMP warheads (or even nukes) to cull huge waves on incoming projectiles.

Compare the Rafik and Wasp to the Kuan Yin. It masses less than them, but it has five coilguns, all of which can fire on the same bearing. Or the Shokoladki, which bristles with Katyushas in addition to its very heavy coilguns. Finally, consider a squadron of four LP-13s. Sixteen missiles is nothing to sneeze at.

The shellstar targeting the Boskone is purely an example. Don't take it as a realistic portrayal of anything. Remember, if you fire projectiles segment after segment, they're going to be on separate shellstars anyhow.

The Rafik's coilguns are going to bounce off of the nose of the Wasp if they're standard shells. Keep that in mind. Nose. Standard.

The Wasp's shells are very heavy and can do a lot of damage, especially if there's a moderate closing vector.

Projectile duels are not won by one or two strong hits. Remember that you don't get to pool projectiles together for damage. Each projectile has its own tiny damage pool. A projectile duel has a long phase of constraining the target's maneuver segment after segment, trying to force it into a situation where it has to accept some hits regardless of which way it turns. You'll probably have a phase where there's an extended trickle of hits, and then the effects of the hits will build up until the target starts to lose performance, defenses, or what have you. Then the dam may break ... Fights with a Shokoladki tend to end with spectacular dam bursts: 200kb projectile from 4CGs do not have "tiny" damage pools.

Starting positions and vectors are explained in the scenario set-up rules. It's generally the ships setting up on opposite map edges. Starting vectors are by fuel bidding, but I strongly suggest limiting the initial secret bid to a maximum of two fuel points. Otherwise, you can start with massive initial bids that make the game pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hayes
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Ethan, that cleared up a lot of my misunderstandings. Thank you for your excellent explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine SAULIERE
France
LAGRAULIERE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a great game, perhaps the beter space fighting game, but, Hélas ! not so much players ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Brazouck wrote:
Still a great game, perhaps the beter space fighting game, but, Hélas ! not so much players ..

I have dreams of doing a play-by-forum game. Soon ...

(Of course, I'll end up always running them, not playing them. Make sure you subscribe to this game, though, so that you'll get notifications.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a group that plays in the San Jose, California area periodically. Contact me if you are local and want join us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hayes
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
:S

I'm 2 hours from the East Coast in North Carolina.

Euclidean Geometry is so limiting sometimes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Log in to services.adastragames.com and make sure that your information is up-to-date. When I was going out to San Antonio, I tried to contact someone listed there, but he had changed e-mail address, whatever. I finally tracked him down through persistence and Google, but he only responded after I left.

Search your area and see if anyone is around. Make sure that others can find you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.