GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,873 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

I Am Vlad: Prince of Wallachia» Forums » Reviews

Subject: MY NAME IS MR. IMPA......Umm Vlad! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the review is long but if you just want the overall, feel free to skip to that section. Sorry!

Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia was a man who was also known as Vlad the Impaler and had last name of Dracul or Tepes. He was born in 1431 and died in 1476. He is a hero to the Bulgarians. He was called the impaler because he had a reputation of impaling his enemies in order to torture and kill them. There were also legends about him drinking the blood of his enemies, eat the dead, and many more. This in turn is believed to have inspired a man named Abraham Stoker to write a novel called Dracula! So needless to say there have been many legends and myths about Vlad.

I am huge fan of Dracula and have always been fascinated by Vlad the Impaler. So when I saw I am Vlad: Prince of Wallachia on sale, I got excited. This game was originally put on Indiegogo to raise funds to fund the game. I found out about this far too late to help fund and it was unsuccessful at reaching its goal. Yet, Real Wallachian Games deiced to go ahead and publish the game. The game retails for about 90 dollars and can be found at online stores for around 60 bucks. I got a chance to play the game this past weekend.

Theme:

The theme of the game in case you haven't figured it out is about Vlad the Impaler. It is basically a game about the players trying to prove their Vlad is the true Vlad of legends. The game Says that it is "an epic board game about the real life of Vlad the Impaler and about habits, mysteries and actual facts of Wallachia and Transylvania." Right, ya, umm well I don't know about all that as it contains werewolves, curses, magic, and up to 4 Vlads. But whatever, it still works with the game. This game could really have been re-themed and still worked so while I wouldn't say the theme is pasted on it is loosely fitting, but clearly made with only that theme in mind.

Components:

The components are a mixed bag. The cardboard is made out decent stock and punched out very easily. The board is also made well and the dials. Even though one of my player boards had a crease in it looking like it was flattened completely before the glue dried. The outposts and player figures are plastic miniatures and look alright. They aren't anything special or stand out in anyway but are easily identifiable. They come in 4 colors (red, black, white and blue). There is a Vlad Hero, a Wallachian Archer and a Wallachian Knight. The outpost is a castle tower with a flat base that has 3 spots for your Knight, Archer and Vlad figures to stand on. Overall pretty decent quality, my red outpost however wasn't fully glued down, so it separates slightly from the base, which wasn't a big deal.

The boards are all dark greyish, green colors that give the area a grim and gothic look. There are white grids to show where the player can move to and orange grids to show where tactical actions or combat can take place. The board looks fine and has some detail. The same goes for the player mats and the underworld. So all in all they are ok, but fit the theme well.

The game also comes with a d6 that is pretty to look at, black with red text, and a custom d8 that isn't as nice but fits its purpose. The d8 has a range of attack values, instead of 1-8 it is something like 4, 6, 11 etc. I don't remember the exact values of the faces off the top of my head.

It also comes with a bunch of cardboard chits representing the gold coins, player flags, health for vlad, resurrection tokens, plague, etc. They are all gold with a simple image on them. They are made of decent stock and look nice.

The game comes with 5 deck of cards, 1 attack deck for each figure type (knight, archer, and vlad), a magic deck, and an Akathist deck (or event deck). These shine from the rest of the components. They have really nice looking backs, made of a good stock and very nice illustrations on the front of them.

Finally there is the rule book. The rule book is badly translated. It for me was very difficult to read. Not because the game is complex but just because it had a lot of broken English that made it confusing. So be ready to reread it a few times. Once you have understood the rule book, the game rules are quite easy to follow. The rule book isn't easy to reference either and does have some parts that aren't covered.

However, here on BGG most if not all the questions that came up were answered or provided in a handy reference sheet that I downloaded from the files section. IT isn't the worse rule book I have read and if it was translated better probably would have been just fine on its own. I believe it was translated from Romanian. Overall the manual is a mixed bag. It is good in the sense it covers the game and covers the game well, but is extremely bad due to the bad translation and organization.

Goal:

There are 3 ways to win the game.

1) Be the first Vlad to gain 3 crowns (by killing other Vlads, you gain on per a Vlad killed)

2) Get to the center of the board and enter one of the orange spaces in the cursed tower then remain there for 8 rounds.

3) Be the last Vlad alive!

Gameplay:

The game seems complex at first but really breaks down to 2 stages, Move and Tactical stage, and Combat stage. You must complete the Move and Tactical stage before you do the Combat stage but can choose to do nothing and go straight to Combat.

You set up the game by connecting the 4 big boards that match the player’s colors to the center piece which is called the fortress. The boards must match up with the correct color that is in the corner of each board with the same color on the center piece. The manual has a clear diagram of how to do this. Then each player takes their figures matching their color and player mat. Each player then sets the life dials to the maximum health for each unit, gets 2 Vlad life tokens, 2 resurrection tokens, and 4 flag tokens of their color. I also gave each player 3 plague tokens since there was enough for each player to have 3. Put the underworld board near the others set those dials to the max for neutral unit’s health and the time dial to the first sun position (it has bells on it).

Next you put 3 gold on each spot that has a werewolf and a gold symbol. Separate the cards by their backs and shuffle each one. Then deal 3 cards to each player from the archer combat deck, knight combat deck and Vald deck, so each player has 9 cards.
Now you should be ready to begin. The rest of the chits go back in the box or somewhere within easy reach of the players. Any colors not being used go back into the box.

During the move and tactical phase you can move and do actions in order. There is no limit to how many action you can do, but each figure can only move 5 spaces in any direction. It is unclear in the rules whether or not you can do this stage with all your units or if you have to do it with only one then combat and then move the next unit. I don't think it really matters. However, once a unit does its combat, it cannot longer do anything else until your next turn. In other words you can't attack, and then move and do actions. Each unit can move up to 5 spaces in any direction but doesn't have to move nor take its full movement. But they also can't move through obstacles, like walls or outposts.

Tactical actions are actions that you can do depending on where you are on the board. If you are on an orange tavern space (it has a spiral, a castle, potion and stake (3 wooden spears icon) you can buy a potion for 2 gold, a magic card for 4 gold, a stake for 1 gold and an outpost for 3 gold.

A potion can be used from anywhere on the board, this restores 7 health. You can restore 1 unit the full 7 or distribute the 7 health amongst your units as you see fit as long as the maximum amount you heal amongst your units total doesn't exceed 7. For example you can heal Vlad for 3, the knight for 2 and the warrior for 2, for a total of 7.

The outpost can be then deployed for an action, the outpost must be placed adjacent to Vlad and must have at least on empty square around it. As in you can't place it on a space that is next to a wall or obstacle. Once again the rules do a good job of showing you what this means. The outpost gives you two benefits. First benefit is, if you have a friendly unit on the outpost (it must be on the space that matches its icon and cannot stop on any space that doesn't match) then each round it stays there it will restore 1 health. Also the damage the outpost does increases by 2 for each unit on it. The first unit increases it to 4, second to 6 and third to 8. Second benefit, you guessed it, it damages your opponents. Any enemy figure that enters a square that is within 5 spaces of the tower (not including diagonals) will automatically take 2 base damage and 2 more per unit in the outpost. Any enemy unit can never go into the outpost and if they remain in the space that they took damage, when the owners turn happens, they will take damage again. The rule book has a good diagram to show this.

The stakes or impale tokens are used as an attack. I might be wrong but to use an impale token you select to use it after playing an attack card when the player's Archer or Knight has 5 or less health. I am not sure if this happens before or after you play a combat card as the rules are not specific. If the defending player played any defense cards, they discard (then replaced) with no effect. Also enemy unit is out of the game and can no longer be resurrected even if the player still has resurrection tokens. This cannot be used on Vlad and can only be used by Vlad.

If you buy a magic card, you get a random one from the deck and this can only be used by Vlad when attacking another Vlad. Also magic cards can only be defended by other magic cards.

The other tactical location is the Church; the Church has a bell icon, a hand icon with a hole in it and a coffin icon. Here you can ring the bell (if the time dial is on the day icon with the bells on it), buy a Akathist card or resurrect a unit as long as they weren't impaled and you still have resurrection tokens.

Ringing the bell doesn't cost anything and is simply an action. If the player rings a bell it blocks for 2 rounds anyone who is in the fortress space (center of the board) cannot move. They can attack and defend attacks if within range however. Also anyone outside the fortress cannot enter it while the bell has rung until the 2 rounds are over.

The Akathist cards are event cards. When the player buys one, they read it out loud and do what it says. It last for that players turn only unless otherwise specified. If the card lasts a round or two no one can buy another Akathist card until that one expires.

There is a plague Akathist card that will give you the plague. Any unit with the plague will lose 1 life point at the beginning of the players turn (who owns the plagued unit) and will pass the plague to any unit (enemy or friendly) that is within attack range of the unit with the plague. To remove it, the player must go back to the church of their color and spend an action to clear the plague; at this point you flip the plague icon to the X rat side and can no longer be infected. If the unit that had the plague dies and comes back it is cured as well.

Lastly, the resurrection action lets you bring back a dead unit. A unit on this space declares they are doing a resurrection action, and then the player discards one of their resurrection tokens. They roll a d6 and place the unit they want to resurrect on to the under space that matches that number. This only works on Archers and Knights. Vlad has his own life tokens and when he is killed you discard one token right away and he respawns at his start space.

A Player who has a unit in the underworld can as an action will roll the d6. They will then move that unit (if you have more than one then you roll for each separately). He will move that unit the number of space indicated until he has reached the 13, 14, 15 or 16 spaces. Here the space matches one of the four time positions. When the time dial matches the space the unit is on, that unit is brought back to a orange square at the church of his own color. Also once you reach the exit spaces you no longer roll and instead just wait to be released. You also can't go beyond space 16.

The last action that you can do is you can if you are in the curse tower (the 4 orange squares in the center of the board on the fortress board) and have 2 crowns or 4 flags places in the fortress you can put a curse on a player. This curse remains on the player until Vlad of the player who put the curse into player dies or it gets put on someone else. A cursed player will then take 2 points of damage each turn off of each of his units.

It is unclear if you can do the same action more than once. I was under the impression that you could do as many actions as you wanted but could only do each one once. If anyone knows please respond in the comments below if this was correct.

Okay that was the move and tactical phase. The player has a lot of options but honestly you are limited by where you go, so it is not as overwhelming as you would think.

The second and final stage of a players/units turn is the combat phase. If the unit is within range of enemy unit (Vald has a range of 4, archer has a range of 4 and the knight has a range of 1) or you are on a crossed swords space, combat starts. Combat in this game is a lot of fun and pretty simple. I really enjoyed this part of the game. If you are attacking a werewolf or a palace guard, you can attack with any unit that is in a crossed sword space next to them. That unit can play any amount of cards they can legally play (depends on the night and day, which I will explain). They then compare their attack value to the amount of health the neutral unit has, it starts with 36. If it beats their remaining health the player wins the combat. If they don't the player loses and unless they have other units that can come and help in combat the health of the enemy is restored to 36 at the end of the players turn. Also the enemy gets to do an attack back at the player via an 8 sided die for each card that was played (that's right you play 3 cards you get attacked 3 times). You roll the d8 once per card (3 cards 3 rolls) and then subtract your defense (on the card) form the amount rolled for that card and take that much damage. If you defeat the werewolves you gain 3 gold and those wolves can no longer attack or be attacked. If you defeat a palace guard, you place your flag on one of the flag spaces that matches your color for that gate (palace guards are at the front of the gates that are entrances to the center of the board) and now you can move freely along that space without attacking or being attacked. You also gain 1 gold coin. If any player who doesn't have a flag on that path tries to enter the gate, they must fight the guards to get through it. The guards have the same health as the werewolves, 36 and must be defeated in one turn or they reset.

If you attack another player, that player chooses 1 card for the unit being attacked and you choose 1 card for the unit that is attacking. Then you compare your attack rating (the upper left corner) with their defense rating (the lower left corner of their card) and they take the difference in damage if the defense is less than the attack. The same happens to you, you compare their attack with your defense. Now in the upper right of the card their maybe a range with a - number. This means that if the unit is in a square that is that many squares away from you (1 square is adjacent and 2 squares means there is one empty square between you etc..) then you apply that negative to your attack value. The same goes for defense which is shown in the lower right. If the range you are defending or attack from is not show on the card then nothing is modified. The last important part of the card is in the center under the art there is either a moon or a sun. In order to play the card it must match the time of day (there are 2 suns and 2 moons on the dial). For example if you have a sun card it can only be played when the dial is on one of the 2 sun spaces.

This mechanic of playing cards and only being able to play them at certain times was a blast. It made it really suspenseful if it was night and you knew you were going to be gunned after but only had day cards or if you had only moon cards during the day.

After combat is resolved for each unit that is doing combat you replenish your combat cards, even if you were defending. You should always have 3 of each type of attack cards (archer, knight and Vlad) in your hand at all times.

Killing a knight or archer gives you 3 coins but killing Vald gives you a crown and each crown makes you stronger. However, in order to get the coins or crown you must be alive at the end of combat. In other words, if you kill an enemy unit but die at the same time you get nothing.
Lastly before combat starts the player who is attacking can ask for a vassal tax, the player being attacked can offer the attacker a vassal tax. The vassal tax is 2 coins and if accepted the attacker can't attack the player.

That's the game in a nutshell. I am sure I missed a few rules as the rule book is over 30 pages. But basically you move and do some actions to prepare for combat and then fight monsters and other players to try and win the game by killing other Valds or racing to the center.

Overall:

I had a blast playing this game. After I read the rules I was thinking that the game might have been lame or boring. It seemed like a lot was going on but you get to do much. Boy was I WRONG! The combat in this game was a lot of fun, because the game moving to night from day or day from night could sometimes be the difference between victory and defeat. For example I was holding the center of the board and after a few rounds my buddy brought all his units with him at attacked me. I killed one of his guys and then drew a day card. Hurt the other and drew a day card. I looked at the time dial it was night and I prayed he didn't have a day card for his Vlad, but he did and I couldn't defend and died. Oh man it was great. The event or Akathist cards though randomness and chaos in the mix which is a lot of fun. Plus you have to fight your way through werewolves, place guards and units in order to get gold to buy stuff.

This all kept the game exciting and was a very pleasant surprise. It is a shame that the rules are so poorly translated and there is no reference sheet as that causes me to take the game down a point and made it frustrating at first. But once we got the flow of the game and understood how it worked, 2 hours went by quick. This is a long game. It says it takes 1 to 2 but with 3 players it took more than 2 hours and we were only about half way since no one had crowns. But it soon became a slobber knocker and race to win. I highly recommend this game. Do not pass this game up because you might not like the look of the board or read the rules and found them hard to understand. It is truly a very fun and tense game. There is some down time between turns but that is minimal.

Thanks for making such a fun game 9 impaled corpses out of 10!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this excellent review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks for posting.

I'll look out for this one - if the price is right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the review that led me to buy this game and man was that a mistake.

While the art is pretty cool, the rules are terrible, the game is very long, and most of the mechanics are clunky, hard-to-use, boring, or downright ridiculous.

A few examples:

You need gold to do most of the non-combat mechanics of the game. The gold-gathering encounter of werewolves at several locations is going to damage you a certain amount. You then need to spend that gold to buy healing potions which don't heal you back as much as you lost. Why would I ever do this encounter only to come out behind.
Skip the werewolves.

Most of the event cards in the event deck effect all the players the same. You have to personally waste time traveling to the edges of the board to pay gold to draw from the deck. Now you have wasted a couple of turns and some of your precious gold just so that everyone can all have some small bonus for a short duration. There is one healing card hidden in the useless event deck. There is also one card that removes the curse from you.
Skip the event deck.

The curse. If you want to tangle with the guards at spot 1, you get damaged, but then you get into the castle and put a token on a spot.
Then if you can fight your way past the other players, you can then fight the guards again at spot 2 and put a 2nd token on a 2nd spot. Wash, rinse, repeat 4 times and then you have the ability to go to the center of the castle and put a minor curse on someone which will pick away at them slowly for a hit point or two of damage.
The problem with this is you will either never make it past all those battles, or by some miracle you do and are chewed up to the point where a good wind will blow you over, all for the privilege of being able to plink away at an opponent slowly over time.
Skip the Guards. Skip the Castle. Skip the Curse.

Spells. Lightning Bolt ..right? Fireball... right? NO! Spells are all generic and are simply expensive combat cards that you have to purchase and are only slightly more powerful than your normal combat cards. They shouldn't have the audacity to call them spells - they should just call them Expensive Slightly Stronger Attack Cards.
Skip the "spells".

The Bell. You can ring a bell that will cause someone far away in the castle to lose movement for a round or two, although they can still fight. Wheee.
Skip the Bell.

The Tower.
You can purchase a tower that gives you a combat bonus if you sit in it.
Forget the fact that building a tower takes months or years - do it immediately at the spot where you are about to have a combat! Oops ..the other guys moved out of range and now you are stuck with a useless tower to sit in... oh well.
Skip the Tower.

Combat. You get random day or night cards. It is easily the case that you can't attack at all during the phase you want to attack in. This is not interesting or cool, this is frustrating and pointless.
Skip - Combat.

Almost every mechanic is badly thought out and/or costs more than the reward to use.
Skip - THIS GAME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="glookose"How is that for a review?[/q]

good, This shows what you didn't like about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miroslav Krajcovic
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:

While the components are top notch, the rules are terrible, the game is very long, and most of the mechanics are clunky, hard-to-use, boring, or downright ridiculous.

A few examples:

You need gold to do most of the non-combat mechanics of the game. The gold-gathering encounter of werewolves at several locations is going to damage you a certain amount. You then need to spend that gold to buy healing potions which don't heal you back as much as you lost. Why would I ever do this encounter only to come out behind.
Skip the werewolves.

Most of the event cards in the event deck effect all the players the same. You have to personally waste time traveling to the edges of the board to pay gold to draw from the deck. Now you have wasted a couple of turns and some of your precious gold just so that everyone can all have some small bonus for a short duration. There is one healing card hidden in the useless event deck. There is also one card that removes the curse from you.
Skip the event deck.

The curse. If you want to tangle with the guards at spot 1, you get damaged, but then you get into the castle and put a token on a spot.
Then if you can fight your way past the other players, you can then fight the guards again at spot 2 and put a 2nd token on a 2nd spot. Wash, rinse, repeat 4 times and then you have the ability to go to the center of the castle and put a minor curse on someone which will pick away at them slowly for a hit point or two of damage.
The problem with this is you will either never make it past all those battles, or by some miracle you do and are chewed up to the point where a good wind will blow you over, all for the privilege of being able to plink away at an opponent slowly over time.

Spells. Lightning Bolt ..right? Fireball... right? NO! Spells are all generic and are simply expensive combat cards that you have to purchase and are only slightly more powerful than your normal combat cards. They shouldn't have the audacity to call them spells - they should just call them Expensive Slightly Stronger Attack Cards.
Skip the "spells".

The Bell. You can ring a bell that will cause someone far away in the castle to lose movement for a round or two, although they can still fight. Wheee.
Skip the Bell.

The Tower.
Forget the fact that building a tower takes months or years - do it immediately at the spot where you are about to have a combat! Oops ..the other guys moved out of range and now you are stuck with a useless tower to sit in... oh well.
Skip the Tower.

Combat. You get random day or night cards. It is easily the case that you can't attack at all during the phase you want to attack in. This is not interesting or cool, this is frustrating and pointless.
Skip - Combat.

Almost every mechanic is badly thought out and/or costs more than the reward to use.
Skip - THIS GAME.

How is that for a review?

I wonder if anyone comes up with house rules to fix these... I think there is an unlocked potential. I haven't played the game yet, but first things that come to my mind:

- make healing potions stronger
- make the event affect only board on which it was revealed
- only 2 tokens needed to activate the curse in the castle
- make spells stronger
- bell allows only to defend (with negative modifier)
- tower attacks even if not manned / ranged attacks with modifiers (?)
- combat cards, draw 3 keep 1?

Just wild guessing... ... would love to play with the components as they look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knight22 wrote:
glookose wrote:

While the components are top notch, the rules are terrible, the game is very long, and most of the mechanics are clunky, hard-to-use, boring, or downright ridiculous.

A few examples:

Skip the werewolves.

Skip the event deck.

Skip the "spells".

Skip the Bell.

The Tower.
Skip the Tower.

Skip - Combat.

Skip - THIS GAME.

How is that for a review?

I wonder if anyone comes up with house rules to fix these... I think there is an unlocked potential. I haven't played the game yet, but first things that come to my mind:

- make healing potions stronger
- make the event affect only board on which it was revealed
- only 2 tokens needed to activate the curse in the castle
- make spells stronger
- bell allows only to defend (with negative modifier)
- tower attacks even if not manned / ranged attacks with modifiers (?)
- combat cards, draw 3 keep 1?

Just wild guessing... ... would love to play with the components as they look great!

Some of the ideas in this game are fairly cool, they are just not implemented properly and I am not sure they all work in the same game.

I like your suggestions for addressing some of the issues.

The question is really, to me, what is the point of this game? What is it trying to be?

Is it a combat game where the main focus is to go kill the 3 other teams? A Vlad, a Knight, and an Archer go try to kill other Vlad/Knight/Archer teams? zzzzzzzz

A race game where you try to be the first to get into the middle? That would be more fun to me personally. If you had to race the other players, fight past some guards, get to the middle and BAM, hit them with a Real Curse (1d6 points per round if each player only has 1 character).

An outdoor dungeon/crawl adventure game where you go around visiting monasteries and towns and fighting bands of were-wolves? Ok, that sounds pretty cool, but this game is far from that.

When you combine all 3 together, it creates a bit of confusion to me. Now I have a outdoor adventure race combat game where the outdoor adventure part doesn't work very well, the goal of the race doesn't do much and is really hard to get to, and the fighting is clunky with random cards that you may or may not be able to use depending on whether its a daytime phase or a night-time phase.

This game needs a lot of help, but even if you fixed all the mechanisms in it that are broken, I'm not sure whether you could integrate all those types of games into one that is going to be a winner.

I do think you could make this game much much better with some house rules/rules fixes similar to what you are coming up with.

My suggestions would be:

1. I hate the day/night card system. When I can't attack when I want to because of gamey rules, I get really annoyed. Do away with the Day night mechanic.

2. Make the spells real spells that do something. Why have all that theme and have a spell deck that are basically just combat cards. You could have some awesome Romanian Gypsy Spells like the Evil Eye or Summon Werewolf Pack or Grow Bat Wings or etc. etc. etc.

3. Make the event deck trigger automatically like most event decks do rather than making someone waste time and money to trigger random events.

4. Make the Big Curse powerful, like -1d6 hit points per round. This would speed the game up as well as providing real incentive to get inside the castle and get to the middle.

5. Get rid of healing potions and tower healing. healing should be reserved for long dungeon-crawl games where the characters are constantly fighting with bands of monsters and need the healing to keep going and make it to the end. Healing in a game where you are just trying to kill the other dudes just makes the game longer.

6. Get rid of the towers. They are just a whacky idea. There is nothing a portable pocket tower could do that couldn't be done just as easily by a spell.

7. Bell - do away with. Slowing the movement of other players that aren't near you just makes the game longer and could be done from the spell deck if really needed.

and so on ... the problem is, fix all these things, which is a lot of work, and i'm still not quite sure what you are left with.

I love the theme and the artwork and really wanted to like this game, I have nothing against Romanian game designers and would be honored to support their first time effort if it was any good, but as of now I don't hold out much hope for this turning into something I would ever like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:

The question is really, to me, what is the point of this game? What is it trying to be?

This is a good question. I felt the point of this game was to make a fun and simple brawler/race that is in the world of the mythology surrounding Vald the Impaler. I didn't feel like this was a super complex game nor a gateway one. It worked with my gaming group well and fit within the niche of games like Talisman or runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.