Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Knoll
United States
Manhasset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended a board game meetup group in NYC called NYEEK, and got to play my first game of Space Empires 4x, a 1 on 1 game. My opponent was also playing his first game. We played the small map, with only 2 rows of white chits between our territories. I played red and my opponent was yellow. Our first turn was fairly standard – exploring some nearby territories. We both bought 2 colony ships during the economic phase. I was lucky to settle 2 colonies during the first phase, while yellow did not find any. During the second economic phase, I bought 3 colony ships and yellow did not buy any ships which was unusual. It turns out he bought two technologies: Ships size and tactics. During the 3rd economic turn, I spent all of my income on the cloaking technology (30 CPs). Yellow purchased 3 colony ships. I think there are 3 main strategies for the opening – either buy mass scouts, raiders, or fighters. This game I randomly decided to go for raiders, along with some scout support. The few additional scouts help to give the 2 for 1 combat advantage, and also after breaking through your opponent’s line, you can split up the scouts and attack multiple targets at once.

On the 4th round, we started getting close to eachother. Yellow started sending his scouts on the left (from my perspective) side of the board into the deep space territory – mostly finding 10 resource spots.

He did eventually lose one scout to a danger marker. I began sending one scout up the center of the board toward his colonies close to the center. One the economic turn, I built 2 shipyards, one on the front lines in the center of the map, and one on the left side of the map. I also built 2 raiders. I had no money left for technology. My opponent purchased move tech and built one destroyer. On the 5th movement turn, I lost my center scout to a danger chit in deep space. My 2 scouts on the left side of the map remained to defend my colony on the left. Yellow’s 2 scouts retreated back to his territory. I sent my two raiders towards the path in deep space in the middle of the map. There are 2 paths now – one in the middle, and one on the left. Next turn they would be in range of his colonies. On the 5th round economic phase, my total income after maintenance was 55 CPs. So I purchased the defense tech, and built 2 raiders and a scout. I also purchased 1 pipeline ship which I adds to one other pipeline ship I built on the 2nd economic phase. I placed the scout on the left side of the map to join my 2 other scouts and I placed the 2 raiders on my homeworld. My opponent knew something was up and didn’t purchase any technology, but built 3 destroyers. He also spent 5 to bid for the first move, so he only had 36 CPs to spend compared to my 55.

On the movement for turn 6, I launched attacks on both left and center paths. My 3 scouts on the left defeated his 2 with 1 casualty. I also bombarded one of his colonies on the left and destroyed it. My two raiders in the middle met his 3 destroyers, but only eliminated one destroyer before losing a raider. I retreated my surviving raider. On the economic phase for turn 6, I purchased the move technology along with another scout, a raider, and 3 pipelines. Yellow bought the 3rd ship size tech, and built one destroyer and one cruiser. I put my scout in my middle front shipyard, and the raider in the homeworld, and the rest of the spots produced pipelines. On the move phase, I combined the scout and 2 raiders with the raider that retreated on the last turn and attacked the 2 destroyers that yellow still had on the colony from the last turn. This time I with the help of a 2 to 1 numerical advantage, along with the destroyers not having scanners, allowed me to defeat them and only taking one damage. My scouts on the left side of the map spread out and attacked 3 different colonies. By now things were looking bleak for yellow and we decided to stop playing to give us time to find another game before the night was over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report and bravo for jumping straight into the advanced game. I don't think the basic game is really necassary for learning the game for most experienced gamers.

Yellow made a few key mistakes. Over investing in tech before he could use it by making ships was a big one. Not building colony ships for the first few rounds was another. Once you had him on the ropes in his space, the only thing he could have done to save himself would have been to add scanners to his destoryers and stack them with mines. The CP loss you would have suffered losing your raiders to his destroyer/mine stacks might have put him right back in to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.