Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Radcliffe
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not so much a sober analysis of an evening of Netrunner, but more of an impassioned cry of joy at how good this game is. My wife was running Noise vs my NBN "Making News". We have just started playing out of Core so our decks are un-tuned using Faction+Vanilla to get a feel of what each outfit does.

I'd got out to a fast 4-0 lead and things were going swimmingly until Medium hit the table. I'd struggled for good Ice and she had Yog.0 out which blew the doors of the three Enigmas I'd laid out early. I'd been careless earlier and let her trash an early Melange Mining easily and ended up struggling for credits for much of the game. Noise was initially emboldened but I managed to sucker her late into a 3 Tag Ghost Branch.
I did have a winning Agenda remaining behind an unrezzed Tollboth, but I'd also managed to spook her with a Data Raven earlier, so she left it alone.

At that point, with money worries of her own ("I'm sorry ma'am, the account is closed") and 3 Tokens on Medium she launched into full scale desperation mode sensing that I was (rightly) close to victory and launched two consecutive Stimhack aided runs on R&D. Agendas had been thin on the ground so she figured there was going to be plenty in the tank - and right she was - netting 6 points in the two runs punching past my Tollboth (paid with sanity!) and Matrix Analyzer - but not before I managed to advance my lone agenda twice.

On my final turn, I managed to scrounge enough bits to play a 3 token Psychographics and advance my Final Agenda for the 7-6 win - which was almost a bit anti-climactic as it transpired. Phew!

The Stimhack-Medium dynamic was amazing to watch, seeing the runner pump themselves with drugs in some abandoned warehouse treating NBN's R&D like a clown's pocket in a desperate attempt to expose the news from the inside all the while the corporate snoopers are closing in on him in on the outside. Its the way the mechanics and theme are so tightly integrated that makes the Netrunner experience so rich.

Even though NBN is short on run ending Ice I'm drawn to their oblique, almost honeytrap nature. I like being able to win with soap operas, appearing outwardly benign while shredding the runner behind the scenes, can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to netrunner. Your fun is only beginning. Years of fun in perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SabreOfParadise wrote:
seeing the runner pump themselves with drugs in some abandoned warehouse treating NBN's R&D like a clown's pocket in a desperate attempt to expose the news from the inside all the while the corporate snoopers are closing in on him in on the outside.

Your whole session report is very well written, but damn this is brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the addiction. Really enjoyed your report, hope you write more, you've got a gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I absolutely agree with your assessment of NBN. It seems like they aren't getting a lot of love, at least out of the box with the preconstructed decks, but I like nothing better than broadcasting a bulletin across the newsnet to tag the runner, and then sending in Killodyne Systems (my privately contracted security force) to slam them with meat damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Radcliffe
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the extol everyone. With regards to NBN, I think they get their time in the sun as part of Future Proof at the end of the Genesis cycle. I am hoping they retain their surveillance & finesse theme rather than resorting to blunt instruments like Weyland does.

I watched "The Net" the other day for kicks and paleo-future purposes. The execution is bad (its good bad really) but I feel like the baddie's methods are really close to how NBN operates in Netrunner. Good for a laugh and some uncomfortable moments with Jeremy Northam & Sandra Bullock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Skillman
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
Man, I think Tollbooth and Data Raven alone are responsible for half my runs ending. Not literally, of course, but while I'm not a fan of the NBN identity, they have my two favorite pieces of ICE in the game, certainly capable of ending runs quite viciously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.