United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something I have never done in my life today. I bought a boardgame while waiting in the doctor's examination room. It doesn't seem that long ago I bought my first computer (it had the new 56k modem) and now it's forget about reading two year old golf magazines while waiting for the doctor. I can whip out my computer tablet and buy a boardgame!

Ok, it's not up there with Armstrong's first step on the moon but for me it was a giant leap for geek kind.

I'm finding more and more uses for my tablet since I got it. I saw a new boardgame at my flgs a few weeks back, pulled up the game's page on BGG, did about 10 minutes worth of research and picked it up. I think with BGG and computer tablets these days it's smart for any game store to put in wifi for their customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Not safe for wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. Shakespeare said all the world's a stage but it seems now all the world's a shopping mall. My wife on a recent business trip got recommended a book by a stewardess on the airplane. She bought the e-book on the plane and started reading it before they landed.

Technology is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I'm finding more and more uses for my tablet since I got it. I saw a new boardgame at my flgs a few weeks back, pulled up the game's page on BGG, did about 10 minutes worth of research and picked it up. I think with BGG and computer tablets these days it's smart for any game store to put in wifi for their customers.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of shops that specifically don't want you to do this, as they're afraid you'll see the online discounter prices (as if you don't know about them already) while checking out the game online. I've heard stories of store owners asking people to leave their store for pulling up a game on their phone to do some research. Odd, but true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard those same stories Chad. Counter productive in my opinion. If I see a game in the store and I'm on the fence about it looking it up on BGG is more likely to make me buy that game then and there. Now in my case I'm very loyal to my local game store Tabletop here in KC (You and I Chad both frequent it) and make a majority of my purchases there because my purchase supports the store which supports the hobby locally (Me buying a game online like I did today is an unusual occurrence). However a lot of people will simply go home to look it up rather than make that impulse purchase without more information and once they do that I think they are much more likely to buy it online rather than return to the store to purchase it.

Kicking someone out for using technology to learn more about the game simply loses you a customer in the long run. Yeah a few people will do as you describe but a lot of others will buy the game at the store where otherwise they wouldn't pull the trigger on the purchase. Being a smart business owner is also being smart in terms of advancing technology. In terms of Tabletop they have even put in wifi for customers to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Well maybe if the shopkeeper could actually sell the game to the customer they wouldn't need to pull info up on BGG about it.
Not sure I follow. I frequently look up games while at my FLGS. Usually this leads to a sale, but it's kept me from buying duds a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly as a consumer more information leads to an informed purchased which is better than having a shop owner try to talk you into a game just so he can make a sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be in General Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
GearPimp wrote:
Not safe for wallet.

It's usually called "show-rooming." To combat this, Target is matching prices with Amazon for the next year. I'm sure other retail locations are intending to take similar action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I did something I have never done in my life today. I bought a boardgame while waiting in the doctor's examination room. It doesn't seem that long ago I bought my first computer (it had the new 56k modem) and now it's forget about reading two year old golf magazines while waiting for the doctor. I can whip out my computer tablet and buy a boardgame!

Ok, it's not up there with Armstrong's first step on the moon but for me it was a giant leap for geek kind.

And I like the way you celebrated by getting fingered by your GP. Nice work! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.