Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve DeBaun
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I just blogged about my experiences so far in planning a Kickstarter project for Ars Victor. I know other designers here have self-published through KS. Is this a good start?

http://news.arsvictor.com/2013/02/to-kickstart-or-not-to-kic...

Cheers,

sd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you've got plenty of enthusiasm, and it seems like you've got a good product. So all you need now to launch a successful Kickstart project are two things:

1. A plan. And it seems like you are at least developing one, and possibly have one already in place.
2. An audience. This is were you should focus your efforts at this point, assuming your plan is in place. Let people know about your game. Get them excited to back it! Get them excited to open the box and play it! And it sounds like you've been working on this for a while; now you just need to broaden the scope. You're definitely at the right site to spread awareness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
reviews, reviews and lots of reviews.

Before launching Triumvirate as a handmade game with POD cards, I had sent out 50 handmade copies of the game to playtesters and early reviewers. Not the "big guys" mind you, but people that were nonetheless proficient and prolific reviewers.

In the pre-kickstarter days I was able to sell 100 copies of that game in a day, and 200 more handmade version in the following months (including my first bggcon). Then I wanted to go bog time, and Triumvirate was I think the second game launched on kickstarter. With a small, but successfully funded game I got it printed and made my first trip to Essen as an exhibitor.

None of that would have happened if I hadn't made and sent so many copies of the game out ahead of trying to sell it, and asked those people to who I sent it to to write reviews of the game they had helped me develop.

Having a great game is half the battle - letting people know about it is the other half. Publishers are good at that, and selecting great games. When you go down the kickstarter route, you will be wearing both those hats and many more to go from game design to game that flys off the store shelves. Its a lot of work, but very rewarding if you want to run a business - because once you start (and assuming you have success), your time to design more games is drastically reduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Jones
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't think of a KS campaign without bringing up Richard Bliss from The Game Whisperer, his podcast is outstanding, 20 minute max, good topics, and talks to developers who have succeeded and failed, which is nice learning how people did well and where they could have done better.

http://www.thegamewhisperer.com/ will eventually lead you to http://www.buzzsprout.com/4646

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Pennypacker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
[q="T Worthington"]reviews, reviews and lots of reviews.

Before launching Triumvirate as a handmade game with POD cards, I had sent out 50 handmade copies of the game to playtesters and early reviewers./q]

Wow, that is great advice!
Were most reviewers ok w/ the review copies being a little bit handcrafted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pennypacker wrote:
[q="T Worthington"]reviews, reviews and lots of reviews.

Before launching Triumvirate as a handmade game with POD cards, I had sent out 50 handmade copies of the game to playtesters and early reviewers./q]

Wow, that is great advice!
Were most reviewers ok w/ the review copies being a little bit handcrafted?

Most--not all, but most--reviewers will understand that the components they are sent are not representative of the final product, and will judge the game solely on mechanics, theme, and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.