Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of things. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I await my epic session report to get cleared by the mods to post on here, I thought I'd ask a couple of things I wasn't 100% clear on that came up in said game.

1. I'm 99.9% sure I know the answer to this one, but I just want to make sure. When you have spells like Expose where there is an effect with a period and then another effect, can you bank the ranged attack for a later attack (say you don't have enough ranged attack to do anything with it)? Also, the one that applied to my gameplay: Are the targets independent of each other meaning you can strip a resistance or fortification while using the ranged attack on something else? I think so since the period is in there. Same thing with Burning Shield (though obviously not the black spell part).

2. When you fight something in a dungeon and fail, it stays there, right? I mean the card doesn't say to discard it like it does on the tomb card. It wouldn't have affected my game because I had plenty of attack (ranged 6) that I would have wiped anything other than the worms the same as the Medusa, but it is odd to not get rid of it while you do on the tomb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm saving up all of the attacks I can't use now for my next game. It's going to be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! I clearly meant the regular attack phase instead of the ranged attack phase. For instance, I have to strip a resistance for a ranged attack to hit (just not Expose's ranged attack). Can I use that ranged attack +2/+3 in the regular attack phase, or do I lose it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always use Ranged Attack in the regular attack phase as regular attack. No reason that shouldn't apply to Expose that I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
Haha! I clearly meant the regular attack phase instead of the ranged attack phase. For instance, I have to strip a resistance for a ranged attack to hit (just not Expose's ranged attack). Can I use that ranged attack +2/+3 in the regular attack phase, or do I lose it?

You lose it. But if you can't use it until the regular attack phase anyhow, just cast Expose in the regular attack phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
You can always use Ranged Attack in the regular attack phase as regular attack. No reason that shouldn't apply to Expose that I can think of.

This is true, but you need to play it during the regular attack phase. Attacks played in the Ranged/Siege phase do not carry over to later phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that's what I thought. I was afraid of that. Didn't affect anything in my game just something for the future. I'll try to explain what I'm talking about again since people aren't understanding me.

Imagine I was facing a city (got to be more than one enemy). They're all fortified. I could play Expose in the Siege/Ranged attack phase to strip a unit's fortification and resistances so I could kill something then even if I didn't need the 2 attack that Expose gives you. That would be the reason to play it then despite losing the ranged attack 2 which is why I was asking. There are plenty of physical resistant units that you have to strip the resistance from to effectively attack them, and you want to kill everything you can in that phase. That's how I won my game that the session post I did just got cleared.

Now, on that note. What about the part where the first effect and second effect can be applied to 2 different targets? (For example, Expose's ranged attack going on a different target than the one you striped of its fort and resist and Burning Shield's block +4 producing an attack +4) I say yes since there's a period there, but I'd like confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely use the ranged attack against a different target than the one that loses fortifications/resistances. If you want to use the spell in the ranged/siege phase to removed resistances/fortifications, you have to use the ranged 2 in the same phase. It wouldn't carry over to the normal attack phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maloof

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
kysmart wrote:
2. When you fight something in a dungeon and fail, it stays there, right? I mean the card doesn't say to discard it like it does on the tomb card. It wouldn't have affected my game because I had plenty of attack (ranged 6) that I would have wiped anything other than the worms the same as the Medusa, but it is odd to not get rid of it while you do on the tomb.

Actually, every time you enter a dungeon, you draw a new brown monster to fight -- I think the card says this. (Monster Dens and Spawning Grounds are different.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toper wrote:
kysmart wrote:

Actually, every time you enter a dungeon, you draw a new brown monster to fight -- I think the card says this. (Monster Dens and Spawning Grounds are different.)

Actually, as I said before, look very closely at the Dungeon card then flip it over and look at the Tomb card. The text is almost exactly the same other than the color of the monster you pull and the reward with the last sentence being removed from the Dungeon card. That last sentence? "Otherwise, discard the enemy token." So, it doesn't say to change out the token on the Dungeon card. Now, it could have been tight to put that on the card, but I've looked everywhere and can't find anything stating to do that.

Again, this wouldn't have changed anything because the next token would have been a Manticore so my ranged attack would have wiped it out for the same Fame just curious what the actual rule is supposed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
Now, it could have been tight to put that on the card, but I've looked everywhere and can't find anything stating to do that.

It's right in the rulebook. "Combat Outcomes", section 3(b), page 9:

If you failed to defeat enemies drawn in a dungeon, tomb or monastery, discard them. The next time a Hero attempts to fight here, new enemies of the appropriate type will be drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.