GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,844 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Last Night on Earth: Timber Peak» Forums » General

Subject: Which expansion?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leslie Wong
msg tools
So I just got Timber peak and was wondering which expansion should i get for it?? The original Last Night on Earth, Growing Hunger or Survival of the Fittest? Or am I better off waiting for Blood in the Forest? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
super_ace89 wrote:
So I just got Timber peak and was wondering which expansion should i get for it?? The original Last Night on Earth, Growing Hunger or Survival of the Fittest? Or am I better off waiting for Blood in the Forest? Thanks!

Wait for Blood in the Forest and Hero Pack: Two, all of the other expansions were designed around the original base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZomBub wrote:
all of the other expansions were designed around the original base game.

True, but LNOE is on his list of choices. I'd say get LNOE. And after that, get the rest of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mb
I'd also say get LNoE, at least to pick up all of those boards and characters for variety's sake. You should be able to find this on the cheap from an online store or Ebay, or the BGG Marketplace even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas, but why going backwards?
Get new one (blood in the forest) - you will get new ideas - instead of much much more of the same (that you have in timber peak).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorywalski wrote:
Interesting ideas, but why going backwards?
Get new one (blood in the forest) - you will get new ideas - instead of much much more of the same (that you have in timber peak).

Everything from the previous expansions, and base game, is not in Timber Peak. In addition to more Heroes, more scenarios, more zombies (the red ones), and more board pieces, you can also get the excellent Survival Decks and Grave Weapons from the Survival of the Fittest expansion.

So, there's my answer for what you should get next: Survival of the Fittest. Though I own all the expansions and play them all together and love all the variety and additional mechanics that are added from having everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Wong
msg tools
So I managed to find Survival of the Fittest (with Hero Pack 1 and Zombie Grave Weapons) for reeeally cheap, so I decided to buy that for the mean time. Still torn whether to get original LNOE or Blood in the Forest though! ><

Leaning towards waiting for Blood in the forest...cos I'm thinking original LNOE might add too many cards to the game. Plus Blood in the Forest is said to add new straight map cards to the game!

Has anyone actually added the original LNOE and other expansions to Timber Peak? How did it work out? Thanks for the responses so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
super_ace89 wrote:

Has anyone actually added the original LNOE and other expansions to Timber Peak? How did it work out? Thanks for the responses so far!

I have. I play with every single currently available expansion, including Timber Peak, all mixed together and it works great! There's plenty of variety in the cards that come up and in the Heroes and Scenarios that get chosen. The only thing I can't comment on is how it affects Scenarios with Scenario Search Items (like Escape in the Truck) as we haven't played one of those yet. But given the extra copies of things like gasoline and keys that were added with every expansion as well as extra cards that allow the Heroes to search the deck for a Scenario Search Item, I expect it ought to work out okay.

Timber Peak was playtested and balanced to work either with some or all of the existing expansions and the LNOE base game or to play by itself. The developer has mentioned that if you play Timber Peak by itself, it's a "faster and more brutal" game than if you mix them up, but I haven't felt any need to play the game that way. The only thing I can think of that would be a real difference is that fires will happen less frequently when you mix everything rather than playing just Timber Peak as there are only 3 (I think) Zombie Deck cards that start a fire. That said, the Heroes have plenty of ways to intentionally start fires, if they want to.

Oh, and the other thing that mixing all the games together does is make is supremely unlikely that the Zombie Player will ever win by discarding the last Hero Deck card. With all expansions together, the Hero Deck and Zombie Deck are 162 cards each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardrikk wrote:
super_ace89 wrote:

I have. I play with every single currently available expansion, including Timber Peak...

Playing the truck scenario from the base game sounds quite challenging now (to find the keys and gasoline)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to pick and mix. I like the Fire and Infected rules from TP and think the Advanced Ability mechanic is better than the web-exclusive AA expansions. I'd be happy to add them and the new TP charcaters (not survivors) to a Base game scenario.

However I have decided not to completely incorporate TP with the other LNOE expansions. Not sure yet whether this is because TP is new and I'm still exploring the scenarios and characters, or becuase it is actually a better game than the LNOE base game.

TP and BitF will probably be the best / most popular combination of LNOE for me.

BTW - I really like playing LNoE scenarios but with the unofficial Walking Dead character sheets that can be downloaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pancoast
United States
Lake Ann
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. I have the original LNOE and I'm looking to expand it. I was originally planning on getting GH and SOTF, but now that TP is out I'm not sure what to do. Would you recommend that I skip those two expansions and get TP instead? I wouldn't mind having the barricades from SOTF. What do you think? Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
dougiep wrote:
Hey guys. I have the original LNOE and I'm looking to expand it. I was originally planning on getting GH and SOTF, but now that TP is out I'm not sure what to do. Would you recommend that I skip those two expansions and get TP instead? I wouldn't mind having the barricades from SOTF. What do you think? Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Get growing hunger more board more heroes and more cards and doesn't change the game much where as SotF causes some additions to the rules. Same with Timber Peak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.