Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know that copies are available in Target. I've seen them. Reportedly, all bad. Quite a shame since distribution in Target is a big opportunity for the game, and will hit a clientele not likely to know the difference.

Other retailers though, specialty retailers and online retailers, those serving the *existing* community, seem to not have copies. I wonder if Z-Man has issued a recall on copies going to retailers with a more educated client base. It seems like boardsandbits, miniaturemarket, coolstuff, and the rest would have copies to sell by now, but they don't. I'm guessing they're waiting on corrected copies.

But bad copies remain at Target. Which begs the question: is this a smart strategy? Will new players have a worse experience for all of these differences, and perhaps not enter the hobby in the way they might if they could get a good copy at Target? Or will it all be a wash in the end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was thinking the same thing. Surely the target audience (those people that buy from Target that have no idea what BGG is, for example) are less likely to know there's a problem and, if they did, would not necessarily know how to rectify it (i.e. contact Z-man for a replacement board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ehlers
msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
I am still unconvinced this board misprint issue is as big a deal as some here seem to think it is. BGG is pretty niche, and prone to what most normal people would call "overreaction".

The game is still playable, but it's not like it is going to explode if rear-ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
St Vincent wrote:
"overreaction".

Overreaction, here, at this site, at BGG, I find that impossible to believe, how could you say that you troll, you SOB, you...

Oh, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
St Vincent wrote:
I am still unconvinced this board misprint issue is as big a deal as some here seem to think it is. BGG is pretty niche, and prone to what most normal people would call "overreaction".

The game is still playable, but it's not like it is going to explode if rear-ended.

I agree that the missing route does not make the game unplayable, nor am I sure that it creates some massive imbalance, either.

However, as a consumer, I expect to get a product that is free from defects. I also expect that the publisher/manufacturer will protect me, to some extent, in the event that they know defective products are being sold.

The people purchasing from Target aren't the ones who would find out about the problem "through the grapevine." If they are the ones that Z-Man is trying to gain trust and business from, then a recall should have been made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine from Target the day before the official release (2/5. I emailed Zman that day, and got a response that day that they will be shipping me a new board. They shipped it the next day, and I got it yesterday. So in 1 week from buying the game I have a new board. I would call that great customer service and Kudos to Zman. They were pro-active about mentioning the defect in the boards on BGG themselves and are handling all requests in a timely manner. Mistakes happen and to get the games nationwide in a huge retailer like Target they probably had to have thousands of games ready to go much earlier than the release date. Therefore any minor mistakes like this would have been too late once caught.

I think they did a great job making up for a very minor mistake in a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully this problem does not affect games purchased from other retailers, such as Barnes & Nobles, where I bought my copy a few months ago. I have not cracked the plastic on it as yet, but it seems I better go ahead and take a look, just to be sure.

Can someone please tell me which route is missing, as I was not aware of this problem until stumbling on a couple of threads about it just this morning.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Berndt
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta - issue only occurs in the new version of the game - if yours is a few months old, you have nothing to worry about.

In case you're curious, though - here's more info about the missing link: Printing error in some copies of the new edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
Hopefully this problem does not affect games purchased from other retailers, such as Barnes & Nobles, where I bought my copy a few months ago. I have not cracked the plastic on it as yet, but it seems I better go ahead and take a look, just to be sure.

If you got your copy months ago, then you have the old edition. So you have nothing to worry about. In my opinion the old artwork is better anyway, but you'll need a compatibility pack if you want to buy the new expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam P
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you bought it a few months ago then you most likely have the first edition, not the second. Between the two editions there are some significant differences in artwork, which would let you know the edition you have. Therefore the game should not suffer the same issue. The missing route was between Lagos and Sao Palo.

If your game looks like this:

then you'll be ok.

If it looks like:

Then open the box to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the defect negatively impacts the game at all. It is arguably a bit harder in the event that yellow disease becomes a major issue, but that seldom happens anyway.
Notice that yellow cities have very few connections to one another compared to other colors. It's already the least threatening disease, so giving it a little something extra to set it apart doesn't seem so bad.

We've played several games on the defective board with the connection drawn in, and despite many claims of this connection being a "major avenue" for the players, we actually don't even make a single move across it in most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
We've played several games on the defective board with the connection drawn in, and despite many claims of this connection being a "major avenue" for the players, we actually don't even make a single move across it in most games.

The SanPalo-Lagos link was used alot when I first started playing, and its use has generally dropped off as we've played more. But it still gets used every 5 or so games, because we'd rather enter Africa via Lagos than Cairo.

Chicago-LA would make the least difference to my group, as we seam to never use the link, and neither location outbreaks for the link to matter of the diseases, and being different colors it is even more unlikely to chain outbreaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info everyone, I really appreciate it. Looks like I have the older version, so the game board should be ok. Looking into the compatibility kit, however, thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one on the Target website looks like the first edition. Not that this is what is in the stores.

Best regards, David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkingnu wrote:
I got mine from Target the day before the official release (2/5. I emailed Zman that day, and got a response that day that they will be shipping me a new board. They shipped it the next day, and I got it yesterday. So in 1 week from buying the game I have a new board. I would call that great customer service and Kudos to Zman. They were pro-active about mentioning the defect in the boards on BGG themselves and are handling all requests in a timely manner. Mistakes happen and to get the games nationwide in a huge retailer like Target they probably had to have thousands of games ready to go much earlier than the release date. Therefore any minor mistakes like this would have been too late once caught.

I think they did a great job making up for a very minor mistake in a board.

I got mine from Target (used up some old gift cards) and have been waiting days since I got my automated response from their CSR email with no human response.

Kind of sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.