Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Buffy the board game be something you would recommand to me ? I never played it and I was wondering how the like from your point of view. I can get it at a discount and wanted to know if it would be something worth picking up or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AS long as you are not talking about the UK version, which I've heard is kinda crappy, the Hasbro one is pretty good. It's very light, but there's a bit of meat on its bones...zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One suspects this was supposed to be a reply to someone else. However, since its here, I will comment anyway.
Its a light but fairly enjoyable game, somewhat reminiscent of Heroquest or any other light adventure style game. There's a lot of luck and not a whole lot of strategy, but its fun having the characters run around, finding weapons and spells and trying to defeat the forces of evil (which they will usually do - the Hellmouth player is in for an uphill fight). If you've got a group of Buffy fans to play it with its probably worth getting. If you've got a group sufficiently fannish players that they'll be talking in character and spouting Buffy-isms while playing, its definetly worth getting.

(All assuming this is the US version and not the UK version).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Piere-Luc,

From what I remember hearing there were two Buffy games released. One was bad, one was good. It is probably fair to say that the good one may not be so good for somebody who was not a Buffy fan. Ah I have just found those comments, maybe even the good one was not so good. These are lifted from my House of Melissa & Fraser - Wishlist http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game - Comes recommended in the comments to this list, but not available in Australia. I take it the ones available on Ebay from the UK are to be avoided like the plague and only go for the Hasbro one. This looks like wishlist material for now.

[reapplied comments]
Aleister Finchley (Perduarab00) 19-Oct-2003 09:16:40
Yeah, the UK version is a completely different game - it's bollocks. The US version, however, is the dog's bollocks.

Morgan Dontanville (sisteray) 20-Oct-2003 00:15:58
I kind of feel that there was a huge sacrifice of game for theme. It perfectly captures the fell of the show, but then again it also perfectly captures the passive nature of wathcing TV and letting the game spell itself out. I was expecting to go face to face and duke it out to the end rather than, "Oh, look I got the 'I get to kill your main character and win the game" card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
If the one you can get is the Hasbro/Milton Bradley edition, and you are a fan of the show's early seasons, yes. Fun, light game that embraces the spirit of the early seasons nicely.

If it's the "bad" edition, avoid it. I can't remember the publisher of the bad edition - I think it was a woman's name. It was a terrible game - dull and processional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will check it out when I will get my comics on thursday, though am pretty sure it's the Hasbro Edition.

If it is the Hasbro Edition, with the tax, does around 25$ sounds like a good price for the game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to check it out in more detail at a friend's house this weekend if I have the chance.

Thanks for your opinions. Looks like an ok game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The US version is one of the games that got me back into boardgaming. It's definitely more fun if you're a fan of the show, but it's a decent little game.

After a play or two, though, you'll probably want to tweak the rules a bit. We have a house rule that each character can only use one weapon in a battle. The good guys have access to many super-sweet weapons, and if they're allowed to combine them it's just a slaughter. Besides, how many weapons can one person really use at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen to me Dwarf: Get the game. You won't be disappointed. It's a lot of fun and, while it does have a high luck element, has a lot more depth than you might expect. For filler games, I'd definitely have this in the top 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
dwarf wrote:
Would Buffy the board game be something you would recommand to me ? I never played it and I was wondering how the like from your point of view. I can get it at a discount and wanted to know if it would be something worth picking up or not.

I got mine for 5 bucks plus shipping when Wal-Mart blew them out, so I may be predjudiced, but I felt it was a reasonable reworking of HEROQUEST that offered a fair amount of enjoyment and flavor, though I admit I don't have enough fans around to have played it super-extensively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the comic store today. Turns out it's not the Hasbro Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.