Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: quests/locations/son of arnor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
vultus prime
msg tools
mb
A few clarifications and confirmations on rules found in older posts:

1

If I have an active location and a card or ability let's me place tokens on a quest, do I put them on the active location or directly on the quest?

If there's no active location and a card or ability let's me put token on active location or location, then do I disregard it or place them on the quest?

2

SON OF ARNOR

I have read several posts but I still don't understand on how this card works.

I choose an enemy in the staging area and engage it, then what?
Do I attack it? The chosen enemy can only attack this ally and no one else until Son of Arnor is dead? Can Son of Arnor only attack this enemy
and no other enemies?
It's this word engage that i don't understand. What happens afterwards?
I don't see how to use this card in a solo game




3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) They would go on the active location first, before going on the quest. As for the second part if a card says place tokens on an active location and there isn't one, nothing happens. If it just says location then you can put the tokens on a location in the staging area as well as any active location.

2) It engages you means it comes away from the staging area and is placed in front of your heroes. It does nothing until the combat phase in which it will attack you normally. Engage is the process of moving from the staging area to become 'engaged' in combat with you.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vultus prime
msg tools
mb
kjpw_88 wrote:
1) They would go on the active location first, before going on the quest. As for the second part if a card says place tokens on an active location and there isn't one, nothing happens. If it just says location then you can put the tokens on a location in the staging area as well as any active location.

2) It engages you means it comes away from the staging area and is placed in front of your heroes. It does nothing until the combat phase in which it will attack you normally. Engage is the process of moving from the staging area to become 'engaged' in combat with you.



Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes i understand the process of engaging, but Son of Arnor says to choose an enemy in the staging area or already engaged with another player and then to engage it. It's this engage that I don't understand. So if I engage Son of Arnor with an enemy in my staging area, then what happens?
Do I attack it, or is it simply to keep the enemy in the staging area thus preventing it from engaging?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some uses for Son of Arnor in solo games:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
1) He can remove an enemy from the staging area *before* their threat counts against you when you are questing. This is especially useful if a high threat enemy was going to engage you anyway.

2) He lets you engage Goblin Sniper, Goblin Archer, The Watcher, etc. See also: East-Gate and Turbulent Waters.

3) You can combo him with Forest Snare and snare an enemy during your planning phase without it ever having a chance to attack you.

4) The Han Solo maneuver: you can combo him with Sneak Attack and engage an enemy during the combat phase *after* enemies attack so you can attack that enemy *first*. If you have another Sneak Attack, you can use A Light in the Dark to return that enemy to the staging area at the beginning of the combat phase then Sneak Attack SoA again so you get two attacks before that enemy gets a chance to attack you.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose an enemy in the staging are and engage it.

That means:

- You play Son of Arnor.
- You choose an enemy in the staging area or in front of another player.
- You move it from where it is to in front of you.
- After that you continue your turn as normal. The enemy sits there until the combat phase, then it will attack you and you attack it, as per normal combat rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vultusprime wrote:
So if I engage Son of Arnor with an enemy in my staging area, then what happens?
Do I attack it, or is it simply to keep the enemy in the staging area thus preventing it from engaging?

Enemies only engage players. They never engage characters. Perhaps the examples I gave above on how to use SoA will help clear this up. Having control over when you (and if you can) engage an enemy can be very powerful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vultus prime
msg tools
mb
Ok, I understand, it draws enemies from to staging area and engages them.
iN A 2 player game what does it do?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The same. Except you can also choose enemies that are engaged with the other player as the target, not just ones in the staging area.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vultus prime
msg tools
mb
thank you for the help
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
Here are some uses for Son of Arnor in solo games:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
1) He can remove an enemy from the staging area *before* their threat counts against you when you are questing. This is especially useful if a high threat enemy was going to engage you anyway.

2) He lets you engage Goblin Sniper, Goblin Archer, The Watcher, etc. See also: East-Gate and Turbulent Waters.

3) You can combo him with Forest Snare and snare an enemy during your planning phase without it ever having a chance to attack you.

4) The Han Solo maneuver: you can combo him with Sneak Attack and engage an enemy during the combat phase *after* enemies attack so you can attack that enemy *first*. If you have another Sneak Attack, you can use A Light in the Dark to return that enemy to the staging area at the beginning of the combat phase then Sneak Attack SoA again so you get two attacks before that enemy gets a chance to attack you.


I'd not considered your #4, but I like it. It's not really reliable, but I'd love to see it work sometime.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
I'd not considered your #4, but I like it. It's not really reliable, but I'd love to see it work sometime.

I think I saw it in a session report here but I don't remember which one. It might have been solo versus Dol Guldur but there are a number of those here.

I agree it won't be reliable. I included it to stretch people's minds a little. It accents the theme of using SoA to change the timing of engagements and what that can do for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Dib
msg tools
BitJam wrote:


4) The Han Solo maneuver: you can combo him with Sneak Attack and engage an enemy during the combat phase *after* enemies attack so you can attack that enemy *first*. If you have another Sneak Attack, you can use A Light in the Dark to return that enemy to the staging area at the beginning of the combat phase then Sneak Attack SoA again so you get two attacks before that enemy gets a chance to attack you.[/o]


Solo player here: Thanks for these interesting suggestions. One thing I wanted to clarify with regard to 4) - to achieve the second Sneak/SoA combo attack, presumably you have to have a second SoA in your hand? But I can't see how that does what you seem to be claiming it does (forgive me if I've misunderstood). In other words, my understanding of the sequence would be:
a)Combat phase starts - Light in the Dark returns enemy to staging
b)Combat enemy attack phase
c)Combat player attack phase - Sneak 1 (in play)puts SoA 1(in hand)into play, SoA engages staged enemy and can attack; simultaneously, Sneak 2 (in play) puts SoA 2 (in hand) into play, SoA can attack - but here's where I don't get it - the enemy is already engaged, so what would be the advantage of using SoA here (unless it's to engage *another* staged enemy)? Where does the *two* attacks on the same enemy come in?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domdib wrote:
BitJam wrote:


4) The Han Solo maneuver: you can combo him with Sneak Attack and engage an enemy during the combat phase *after* enemies attack so you can attack that enemy *first*. If you have another Sneak Attack, you can use A Light in the Dark to return that enemy to the staging area at the beginning of the combat phase then Sneak Attack SoA again so you get two attacks before that enemy gets a chance to attack you.[/o]


Solo player here: Thanks for these interesting suggestions. One thing I wanted to clarify with regard to 4) - to achieve the second Sneak/SoA combo attack, presumably you have to have a second SoA in your hand? But I can't see how that does what you seem to be claiming it does (forgive me if I've misunderstood). In other words, my understanding of the sequence would be:
a)Combat phase starts - Light in the Dark returns enemy to staging
b)Combat enemy attack phase
c)Combat player attack phase - Sneak 1 (in play)puts SoA 1(in hand)into play, SoA engages staged enemy and can attack; simultaneously, Sneak 2 (in play) puts SoA 2 (in hand) into play, SoA can attack - but here's where I don't get it - the enemy is already engaged, so what would be the advantage of using SoA here (unless it's to engage *another* staged enemy)? Where does the *two* attacks on the same enemy come in?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.



I think Bart was describing attacks on two consecutive turns. On turn t, after the process of enemies attacking is complete, I Sneak Attack Son of Arnor to engage the enemy in the staging area and attack it.

On turn t+1, I play A Light in the Dark at the start of combat to return the enemy to the staging area before it attacks. Then, after the enemies attack step, I can Sneak Attack Son of Arnor again. Then, I've had two attacks against an enemy that hasn't attacked me yet.

For the combo to work, I need 2x Sneak Attack, 1x A Light in the Dark, and 1x Son of Arnor (remember that Sneak Attack returns him to my hand).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Dib
msg tools
Thanks Duke of Lizards, that description sounds plausible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.