GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Space Empires: Close Encounters» Forums » Rules

Subject: Victory conditions for capturing colony. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules say:

Victory Points: If playing with the Short Multi-Player Game Victory
Conditions, a captured Colony may count for up to two Colony
Points. Capturing the Colony yields 1 point, the same as destroying
a Colony would. If that Colony grows to 5 CP, and it is outside of
the player’s Home System, it would count an additional point
(like
any other Colony outside of your Home System). The point for
capturing it can never be lost, but the point for having a Colony at
5 CP can be. Recapturing a Colony that previously was yours does
not yield a Colony Point. With the 3 Colony Point alternate victory
condition, this could yield some surprising wins.

This is my consideration:

If the additional point can only be gathered by having a captured colony at 5CP but only if it is outside of the player's Home system, why to establish a colony on a deep space planet? you are giving certain advantage to the enemy player if you do so...maybe may be better win the additional point by capturing a colony inside the player home system and having it at 5CP.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Because, using these victory conditions, any time you grow a deep space colony to 5 CP, you get a victory point for it. You can lose the VP if it subsequently is destroyed/captured.

So, you could theoretically win the game by establishing 3 deep space colonies and growing them to 5 CP.

Capturing a colony also gives you a victory point (which you can't lose). You still get a victory point for growing a colony to 5 CP. That is why a captured colony can yield 2 - one for the capture and one for getting it to 5 CP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Because, using these victory conditions, any time you grow a deep space colony to 5 CP, you get a victory point for it. You can lose the VP if it subsequently is destroyed/captured.

So, you could theoretically win the game by establishing 3 deep space colonies and growing them to 5 CP.

Capturing a colony also gives you a victory point (which you can't lose). You still get a victory point for growing a colony to 5 CP. That is why a captured colony can yield 2 - one for the capture and one for getting it to 5 CP.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.