Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for games that play well with teams (or equivalent) of 2 or more. Team games seem to fit with our group as they take some of the sting out of direct conflict while still appealing to our competitive natures.

e.g. BANG!, team mode in Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game

No traitors or co-op (unless it's a particularly interesting use of these mechanics), and I don't mean games with the option for negotiated in-game alliances. Teams!

Any suggestions would be super appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia
Crokinole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would so love to try the team's rules for Napoleon's Triumphninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastiqa's 4-player option plays as teams of 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally forgot about Last Night on Earth!
Too bad I hate zombies.

I'll look into the TTR map collection; I've wanted to spice that game up for a while but never known which exp to look into. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance has spies fighting against the resistance.

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. I know you said no co-op or traitor mechanic - this game has both - but i think cylons vs humans is very teamish.

And Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Innovation with 4 players has a team variant that works great

My go-to team game is something out of the birth of America series, either 1812: The Invasion of Canada or 1775: Rebellion. Great games with simple non-overwhelming rules, a good mixture of tactics and strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Godolakis
Sweden
Göteborg
V.Götaland
flag msg tools
I support Wikileaks. I am anonymous.... I am an atheist...... I obey copyleft....... The Pirate Bay user.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D is designed to race with teams. As all motorsport are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
RoboRally can be played in teams (Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, or racing for the flags in teams.) Capture the Flag is one of the best ways to play it.

Shadow Hunters is played with hidden teams, kind of like Bang!.

Saboteur could be considered a co-op with a bunch of traitors (saboteurs) or you can see the players as split up into two teams.
Saboteur 2 (expansion-only editions) softens the distinction and adds more roles (and more chaos.)

While I haven't played it, it sounds very promising: Duel of Ages (or Duel of Ages II) is played in teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petter Botö
Sweden
Kalmar
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flash Duel has a great 4-player mode where two teams of two face off against each other. Game is so fast you can switch teams and character setups many times during a session. Also 5-player option where 4 players form the team of heroes vs one player being big bad Deathstrike Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed playing Iliad with teams. The people I played with played it for the first time, and had a great time and enjoyed it a lot. Fantastic artwork.

Have a look at this small review by Mark Chaplin (the game designer for "Revolver") I totally agree with his comments:

SOLID AND CONSISTENTLY ENJOYABLE.

Glorious artwork and theme reflecting the Trojan war is plastered all over the cards and the other good-quality game components. Some care was bestowed upon this small production and it shines through; after myriad plays, my set of army cards are still in fine condition.

The gameplay is a wonderful blend of screwage and brinkmanship: you have to decide which battles to fight and how hard to press your luck, especially in games with 4+ players. If a battle is turning ugly, you also need to have the skill to decide when to cut your losses and quit, licking your wounds and regrouping for a later conflict - a quality you will have to master to win.

Some strategies take a few plays to become evident, like most card games, and the same could be said for deciding which goals to aim for points-wise. The difference in the two types of siege is also quite dramatic; I really like the sudden death gameplay of the Medusa sieges - very heart pounding if you're close to winning.

Iliade plays swiftly straight from the tiny box, and is also quick to learn, once players get to grips with the icons on the cards; though they are considerably easier wrap your gamer-brain around than Race FT Galaxy.

The game structure is different for 2 players, but this does not detract from the enjoyment of a 2-player battle one whit. In fact, I would argue that the strategy involved in two-player duels are subtly more involving than larger scale skirmishes, in a manner that brings to mind Poker. A handful of cards are debatably more powerful, or more useful, with two: the Trojan Horse cards are a prime example of this. Another asset of this cardgame is that it scales smoothly from 2 to 6 players, with no discernable wobble or sweetspot - all matchups are frantic and jolly good fun.

After a mediumweight time-investment of plays, about 100 games, I can say with some assuredness that my eagerness to play this game has not diminished.

1. Simple and elegant system.
2. Easy-ish rules.
3. Quick-to-learn iconography. That works!
4. Swift to play.
5. Strategic and tactful gameplay.
6. Scales brilliantly.
7. Very portable.
8. Simple victory conditions.
9. Awesome 2-player filler game.
10. Great multiplayer game.
11. Nice 2-type conflicts: Medusa and Thanatos.
12. THE brinkmanship game.
13. Can be played as two teams competing.
14. Nice theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team assenssion is awesome and really the only way to play with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu. Really only great with four players, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
+1 for Tichu, it's totally addictive. Agreed, 4-players only really.

If you don't mind CCG/LCG formats, I have two recommendations more:

* Magic: The Gathering can be great fun in teams (2v2 two-headed giant, or also 3v3, we play a custom 3v3 variant.) Personally I only enjoy MTG drafts. So my reommendation is to do a booster draft with 6 and randomly assign two teams to play 3v3. Or booster draft with 8, make four teams of 2 and play a two-headed giant mini-tornament.

* Warhammer: Invasion plays well with two teams of 2 (in fact that's the only way I played it so far.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York has teams, as two players are with the House of York and the other two are with the House of Lancaster. There really is no "teamwork" as table-talk is strictly forbidden. You want your House to win each round, but there is an overall winner of the game which may mean a bit of betrayal. Worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Iliad

You can play 6 players with 3 teams of 2, or 4 players in 2 teams. It is even pretty good with 2 or 3 players if you don't have enough for teams.

Everyone I introduce the game to is a bit skeptical from the rules and the description of the game. However, everyone has really liked it so far and were pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

+1 for Tichu as well.

I recently got Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game. While most of the game is Co-op, there are some scenarios that are Team vs Team. I have only played solo so far (Enjoying it immensely!) so I am not sure how good it is Team Vs Team so you could look into it. Apparently you can customize the game and create your own scenarios so in theory you have a lot of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Greek/Roman themes, so Iliad sounds perfect! And I must admit I prefer card games to pieces on a board.

I might even take the leap and invest in a D&D board game (heard lots of good things about them) as the mechanics look interesting and well-developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As said Iliad is great, and it has such superb artwork. Just look at it:

Regarding a D&D type of game... I ordered Legends of Andor.

You might try to check out that title as well... Legends of Andor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Othila wrote:

OH! I just realised that Tichu is basically Big 2! We used to play it all the time in high school. Didn't know there was a team variant though, will totally look into that.

Side note: Just put in an order for Iliad. Thanks you guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep in mind that Iliad is all about knowing when to pass... because after every siege (round) you can only draw 3 reinforcement cards... 3!!!

So if you waste lots of cards (you start with 12 in your hand) the first rounds... you will surely loose towards the later rounds, since you won't have enough cards in your hand.

That's one of the nice things about this game... control/restraint and knowing when to cut your losses and when to go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acklevoy wrote:
Othila wrote:

OH! I just realised that Tichu is basically Big 2! We used to play it all the time in high school. Didn't know there was a team variant though, will totally look into that.

Side note: Just put in an order for Iliad. Thanks you guys!

Yep, it's basically Big 2 with partners. It's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack or Wings of War: Famous Aces, the precursor. Phenomenal game system, unlimited players but always 2 teams - unless you want to do something else, of course.

Working together while working against another team is great - you're not getting picked on, they only have one team to attack, and you can coordinate with your teammates. Although, we don't allow talking about maneuvers beforehand, just a strategy session before the whole thing begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.