South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished watching Lore and was wondering what others thought of it. I found it moving and more than a little disturbing.

Set in Germany in the immediate aftermath of WWII, it follows the trek of 14-year-old Lore and four younger siblings, the children of Nazi war criminals, from the Black Forest to their grandmother's home in Hamburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was disturbing about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen the movie?

I have a particular fascination with movies that view war and its aftermath through the eyes of children. Some that come to mind are Empire of the Sun, The Tin Drum, and Come and See.

What struck me most about Lore was the disjointed narrative style; you're viewing the children's journey as a fragmented series of loosely connected incidents, without any real sense of time or place. The cinematography adds to this effect, and some scenes have an almost dreamlike quality.

As for why it's disturbing, I'm not sure. I suppose in part it's the moral ambiguity of the protagonist, who is both victim and villain, sympathetic and at the same time an unquestioning Nazi whose beloved father is an SS war criminal. That ambiguity is never satisfactorily resolved.

I dunno, I'm no film critic. Some movies I watch and quickly forget, others affect me more deeply and stay in my mind. Lore falls in the latter category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting Pat. Time to see if they have it in Blu-ray. cool

edit: looks like it has a blu-ray street date of May 13, 2013 in the UK. Haven't found it in the states yet...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Have you seen the movie?

I have a particular fascination with movies that view war and its aftermath through the eyes of children. Some that come to mind are Empire of the Sun, The Tin Drum, and Come and See.

What struck me most about Lore was the disjointed narrative style; you're viewing the children's journey as a fragmented series of loosely connected incidents, without any real sense of time or place. The cinematography adds to this effect, and some scenes have an almost dreamlike quality.

As for why it's disturbing, I'm not sure. I suppose in part it's the moral ambiguity of the protagonist, who is both victim and villain, sympathetic and at the same time an unquestioning Nazi whose beloved father is an SS war criminal. That ambiguity is never satisfactorily resolved.

I dunno, I'm no film critic. Some movies I watch and quickly forget, others affect me more deeply and stay in my mind. Lore falls in the latter category.

No, I haven't seen it. I'll try to get it & get back to you on my impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jackson
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Havent seen Lore but I remember an old black and white movie called Die Brucke or The Bridge" about a group of young German boys who try to keep American troops from crossing a bridge. Dont remember much else other than the storyline but I would guess there were some stylized characters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gentry202 wrote:
Havent seen Lore but I remember an old black and white movie called Die Brucke or The Bridge" about a group of young German boys who try to keep American troops from crossing a bridge. Dont remember much else other than the storyline but I would guess there were some stylized characters

Die Brücke is well worth watching. I also recommend Roberto Rossellini's Germany Year Zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.