Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is an iPad 2 going to be good enough to play every board game implementation out there? I am interested in things like Dominant Species, Ascension, Ticket to Ride, Eclipse, just about everything made...lol.

I'm wondering if an iPad mini or an iPad 2 is going to be good enough to last a while, without having compatibility issues too soon off the bat for the price...

Looking for opinions from people with iPad 2 and/or Mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an iPad 2 and right now I can play basically anything. By which I mean I haven't found something I can't play, but there may be something I don't know about. I'm not sure how much longer I expect that to last, though; I expect some stuff to start going over the horizon in a few months, or whenever the next iOS comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an IPad 1 and I can already cite a dozen games who don't run on it.

This IPad1 was bought in March 2011 ... And so I would advise to simply go for the latest model, it will last the longest.

IPad4 with 32 GByte memory is the best solution.

The IPad2 doesn't run the newest OS 6, nor do the IPad3 and the Mini.

Also good to know: the IPad3 runs too hot when playing games.

TLDR: the only logical choice is the newest IPad 4.

The IPad Mini is a terrible choice: old OS, old graphics resolution and old processor.

I was foolish enough to buy me an IPad 1 just 2 weeks before the IPad 2 launched and now I have an old machine where games like Phantom Leader, Balder's Gate and Combat Mission are no longer supported.

That sucks, typical Apple: pay too much each year all over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Wexford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ben_Bos wrote:

IPad4 with 32 GByte memory is the best solution.

The IPad2 doesn't run the newest OS 6, nor do the IPad3 and the Mini.

Also good to know: the IPad3 runs too hot when playing games.

TLDR: the only logical choice is the newest IPad 4.

The IPad Mini is a terrible choice: old OS, old graphics resolution and old processor.

While I completely agree with getting the newest Apple product at the beginning of the life cycle - there is quite a bit of misinformation here.

First - the iPad 2, iPad 3, and the iPad mini all run the newest, latest and greatest version of iOS

Please see the following link at the bottom for device compatibility.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

Which brings me to the next point. The Mini does in fact run iOS 6 out of the box. True, it does not have a retina display, but at 7" is it really needed? And since it is only 7" and non-retina, the processor (dual-core A5) is more than enough. I have the same processor in my iPad 2 and have no complaints and notice no issues.

So while I still agree that the best choice is the iPad 4 - I might also argue that it might be prudent to wait till March to see if Apple makes any announcements, if a deal came around on a iPad3 or mini, I would not hesitate on the purchase.

If you can get an iPad 2 cheap enough - fully knowing that it is close to the end of its SOFTWARE lifecycle then you're fine. It will still run:

TtR
Carcassonne
Ascension
Stone Age
Summoner Wars
Nightfall
Dominant Species
etc..

Basically everything currently out. I would "assume" that the iPad 2 has another year - maybe two of software updates before its dropped. Thats purely my guess. And of course end of SOFTWARE support does not mean you have an expensive paper weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with a 32GB Ipad 4. I really didn't want to spend the extra money, and almost left with a 16GB model.

The iPad mini looked nice in the store, but I was a bit concerned about the smaller screen. I really wanted the larger screen for some games, and have read reports of a few games not looking QUITE as nice on the mini.

Plus the fact that the mini was basically an iPad 2 kind of scared me off for the price. I figured a 16GB Ipad 4 wasn't much more than a 32GB mini, and the Ipad 4 would last much longer and do more.

Of course, then the concern was whether or not 16gb was going to hold me over. By that point I figured what the hell, I'm only ever buying one of these, and I have NO plans to upgrade in the next few years, so I went ahead and chose the 32GB model iPad 4 over the rest.

It cost about 200 bucks more than the iPad 2 new, at 16gb. I'd rather spend the extra. Thanks for the replies! I was more leaning towards the mini in the beginning, due to price, but I think I chose the better option in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend getting a new model. You want to make sure it will run the games coming out in the next year as well as those already available.

For the board games, I doubt the screen pixel density will matter that much. The retina displays are really nice to have for text, though, and I wouldn't buy a device without it.

If I were looking in the short (not immediate) term, I'd have my eye on the Mini2. That would have a retina display and the size is really nice.

Edit: well, I was a few seconds obsolete. Congrats on your new pad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Wexford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Congrats!

The iPad really opened the door to a LOT of games that I would never have the chance to play.

Block off lots of time to play and ENJOY!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol yeah, I feel like I'm "cheating" on my Android devices...lol. But I was getting too impatient waiting for board games to get ported. And as much as I love my Nexus 7, I kind of wanted to board game on a larger screen (and I gave my Xoom to my daughter anyhow).

There are at least 10 games I want (board game conversions) right off the bat on iOS, so the money saved from buying the physical versions should balance out the cost of the device. Dunno that I'll use the iPad for much more, but I know it will get a TON of use just for the board gaming alone, since most weeknights it's murder getting the wife and kid to sit down and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
I was foolish enough to buy me an IPad 1 just 2 weeks before the IPad 2 launched and now I have an old machine where games like Phantom Leader, Balder's Gate and Combat Mission are no longer supported.

That sucks, typical Apple: pay too much each year all over.

this is why I figured to go for the iPad 4. And I forgot about Baldur's Gate! That was supposed to hit Android too, but since they are still cleaning up the iOS release, there hasn't been any more info I don't think about when/if it will still hit Android. I'll be grabbing that for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.