Hunting Party» Forums » Variants

Subject: Gold Caching- sleight of hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fred sieling
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
The game is won with gold, which is normally left in plain sight of all players. If players are allowed to cache their gold out of sight, it forces players to participate in real time (pay attention) and introduces a strong element of sleight of hand to the game. To me, that's good fun.

I'm not sure there's a transparency rule now, so I may not technically be introducing a variation here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Actually, this sort of question comes up alot when dealing with games with win conditions based on victory points. Leave them hidden or reveal them? Most say that they should always be revealed because if you were really playing to win at all costs, you could always just write it down. Plus, its a matter of memory. Should we really punish those with worse memory? I dunno...I guess good memory could be a strategy. Anyways, people brought up the same discussion with Puero Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play how you want, of course, but personally I think it's a bad idea.
Forcing players to pay attention and keep track of numbers when you could just make them public is just tedious.
I NEVER let players get away with sleight of hand in my games, and I play Puerto Rico with victory points face up... maybe it's just the kind of gamer I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play with sleight of hand. Usually I'm against it for games (almost always), but for a fun, relatively quick game that's pretty interactive I see no reason to add a little deception in. Especially when the person who kills the big evil baddie usually gets enough to win, anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.