Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Edited to fix gate counts from Turn 14 on]

A summary for those who have lives. What follows is possibly the most absurdly long game that Yig ever allowed. Or so I would guess. 2 turns per doom token!!! 20 turns total!!!

It was our first game - my girlfriend and myself. We picked characters at random on a draw 2 pick one basis. I took Kate and Amanda and she took Mandy (of the amazing reroll). We drew Yig as our opponent out of a draw of three - Cthulhu, Ithaqua and Yig. I recommended Yig as I figured that would give us a shorter game. Ha!

Our initial equipment draws had us armed for big game with a shotgun, tommy gun and a lamp of Alhazred. We dilly dallied around at first gathering clues, doing a little shopping (an Elder Sign!), wandering aimlessly. And there were endless monster surges! Endless!

There was a little thinning of the monster herd. We finally worked up the nerve to jump in a few gates. A few nasty encounters and two gates were closed. More dithering ensued. Mandy proved to be a fierce and nearly unstoppable monster hunter. Who knew!

The Doom Track was filling up and I decided it was time to take a few preparatory steps for battling Yig by healing up and getting blessings. We had an amazing encounter at the Science building that allowed us to close 2 of the 3 remaining gates!!! But monster surges immediately blocked the one remaining gate by dumping a Cthonian on it!!!

Finally, two more gates opened up, we jumped in at the 11th and 1/2 hour.

No dice. Yig's doom track fills up and it's final battle time!!!

Yig's ass gets stomped mercilessly.

THE END.

It was our first full game but we'd played a few rounds and I'd read fairly extensively both of the rules, the faq and this forum. We played over the course of several days an hour or two at a time as we found time. I was even able to scan back through my notes and find an error or two. I'm pretty sure we did a solid job getting it all right.

Good times!

Feel free to post any gaffs that you might spot - if you have sufficient time to waste going through my interminable session report!

SETUP

Investigator - draw two, pick one. Resulted in Mandy, Amanda and Kate.

Starting Equipment:

Kate - Tommy Gun, Enchanted Blade, Heal, Wither and +1 Lore skill
Amanda - Cross, Enchanted Knife, Find Gate, Expert Occultist and +1 Luck skill
Mandy - .18 Derringer, Shotgun, Lamp of Alhazred and Marksman skill

AO - draw three pick one. Yig!

Mythos- Manhunt in Arkham!

Gate: Another Dimension @ the Woods
Monster: Byakhee removed due to headline
Clue: Independence Square

Counts -

Doom: 1
Open Gates: 1
Monsters in Arkham: 0
Monsters in Outskirts: 0
Terror Level: 0

Turn 1

Investigators -

Kate: Moves from the science building and gathers two clues. She loses 1 Sta and 1 San due to a failed will check!
Amanda: Moves from the Bank of Arkham to the Newspaper. She gains $5 from an encounter!
Mandy: Moves from the Library to the Unameable and gathers a clue. She evades a falling beam and escapes to the streets!

Mythos- Icy Conditions

Gate: Plateau of Leng @ The Historical Society
Monster: Flame Vampire
Clue: Lost at the Woods.

Counts -

Doom: 2
Open Gates: 2
Monsters in Arkham: 1

Turn 2

Investigators -

Amanda: Moves to Arkham Asylum and gains 2 clues from an encounter.
Mandy: Moves to the Silver Twilight Lodge and gathers 1 clue but loses ALL her clues due to an encounter with a mesmerist!
Kate: Moves to Arkham Asylum and takes Find Gate from Amanda. She regains 1 San from an encounter!

Mythos- R'Lyeh Rising!

Gate: A monster surge at the Woods!
Monster: A Maniac and a Formless Spawn on the woods gate and a Gug at the Historical Society gate.
Clue:

Counts -

Monsters in Arkham: 4

Turn 3

Investigators -

Mandy: travels to the Univisted Isle and gathers a clue. She passes a will check to retain her sanity!
Kate: moves to the Black Cave and gathers a clue. She loses 1 San to an encounter!
Amanda: goes to the General Store and buys...a shotgun!

Mythos- Happy Days are Here Again!

Gate: A monster surge at The Woods!
Monster: A Dimensional Shambler and a Fire Vampire (to outskirts) at The Woods and a Ghoul at the Historical society.
Clue: Lost

Counts -

Monsters in Arkham: 6
Monsters in Outskirts: 1

Turn 4

Investigators -

Kate: Moves to the Curiositie Shoppe and buys an Elder Sign!!!
Amanda: Moves to the Graveyard and gathers a clue. She gains two San from an encounter (but is maxed).
Mandy: Moves to Hibb's Roadhouse and gathers a clue. A Horrible Monster (Byakhee) appears [Combat] she passes horror check and combat check!

Mythos- The Festival

Gate: YET ANOTHER monster surge at the Woods!!!
Monster: 3 Monsters to the Outskirts
Clue: Lost at the Historical Society

Counts -

Monsters in Outskirts: 4

Turn 5

Investigators -

Amanda: Goes to the Witchouse and gathers a clue. She is...delayed by an encounter!
Mandy: Goes to the Curiositie Shoppe and buys the King in Yellow tome.
Kate: Goes to the Newspaper and gains a retainer for her fascinating stories!

Mythos- Sheldon Gang!

Gate: City of the Great Race at the Graveyard.
Monster: to the outskirts along with the 2 that the sheldon gang released. Terror level goes up! Ally Discarded!
Clue:

Counts -

Doom: 3
Open Gates: 3
Terror Level: 1

Turn 6

Investigators -

Mandy: Tries to read the KiY but fails even with her reroll! She uses the rest of her movement to go to the Train Station. An encounter sends her to the Library where she gains 4 clues!
Kate: Trecks on over to the Graveyard where she is sucked through the gate to the City of the Great Race! She has an encounter there and loses San and 1 Sta!
Amanda: Stands up and has an encounter with no results!

Mythos- 4th of July Parade

Gate: R'Lyeh at the Witch House dropped squarely on Amanda's head. She's drawn through to the first area!
Monster: to the outskirts
Clue: ???Lost???

Counts -

Doom: 4
Open Gates: 4
Monsters in Outskirts: 2

Turn 7

Investigators -

Kate: Moves on to the 2nd area of the City of the Great Race and fails a skill check to gain 2 skills.
Amanda: Stands up to have an encounter. She loses two San but gains 3 clues (with reroll help from Mandy)!
Mandy: Tries and fails again to read the KiY. She moves to the Misk U streets and [Combat] wails on a Maniac to vent her frustration. She's doubly frustrated when she learns that Maniacs are Endless and can't be collected!

Mythos- Temperence Fever!

Gate: A monster surge at the Witch House!
Monster: A Star Spawn goes to the Witch House. The other 3 to the Outskirts.
Clue: Black Cave

Counts -

Monsters in Outskirts: 5

Turn 8

Investigators -

Amanda: Moves to the 2nd Area of R'Lyeh and passes a skill check to not get screwed over.
Mandy: Finally manages to read the KiY and gains another 4 clues!!! However, there's a Formless Spawn and Fire Vampire that have previously moved into the Misk U streets [Combat] She passes her horror but fails her first combat check against the Formless Spawn (2 Sta). She uses both her reroll and her Marksman reroll to defeat it on her second check. [Combat] She ANIHILATES the Fire Vampire.
Kate: Returns to Arkham at the Graveyard, [Closes] and [Seals] the gate to the City of the Great Race with 5 clues!!!

Mythos - Disturbing the Dead RUMOR!!!

Gate: Yuggoth at the Black Cave
Monster: Dark Young!!!

Counts -

Doom: 5
Monsters in Arkham: 5

Turn 9

Investigators -

Mandy: Moves to the Black Cave and [Combat] Stomps some Dark Young butt. She travels through the gate to Yuggoth and has an uneventful encounter there. Best kind.
Kate: Goes to the Library and gains 1 clue token via an encounter.
Amanda: Returns to Arkham at the Witch House. She [Closes] the gate to R'Lyeh, [Seals] with 5 Clues and sends the [Banishes] the Star Spawn.

Mythos- All Quiet In Arkham (Everyone fails their luck check to get blessed! Augh!)

Gate: Another freaking monster surge at the Woods.
Monster: 1 Monster at each [3] open gate.
Clue: Lost at the Historical Society.

**passed rumor check**

Counts -

Doom: 5

Turn 10

Investigators -

[Upkeep] Kate casts a heal spell and regains max Sta.

Kate: Moves to Arkham Asylum and pays to max her San.
Amanda: Emboldened by Mandy's success and monster smashing and not wanting to be trapped in the Witch House she moves out to the French Hill streets to do battle with the Gug [Combat] She gets her ass handed to her, even with Mandy's reroll, loses a clue and her derringer and is carted off to the Hospital. Her brief tenure as "monster sweeper" is an abysmal failure.
Mandy: Moves on to the 2nd area of Yuggoth where she loses 1 San and 1 Sta in an unpleasant encounter.

Mythos- City Gripped by Blackouts!!!

Gate: The Abyss at the Unvisited Isle.
Monster: Cultist to Outskirts. Empties Outskirts and increases Terror Level. Ally discarded.
Clue: Science Building

**passed rumor check**

Counts -

Doom: 6
Terror Level: 2

Turn 11

Investigators -

Amanda: Cowers in abject fear and stays in the Hospital as there are multiple monsters now in the streets outside. Takes a free 1 Sta.
Mandy: Returns to Arkham at the Black Cave, [Closes] the gate to Yuggoth and [Seals] it with 5 clues. 1 Monster is [Banished].
Kate: Moves to the Misk U streets and [Combat] fails a 1 San Horror check but brings down a Ghoul.

Mythos- Alien Technology

Gate: A Monster Surge (yes, another monster surge) at the Unvisited Isle
Monster: A Vampire to the Historical Society, a Cultist to the Unvisited Isle and 1 to the Outskirts.

**passed rumor check**

Counts -

Doom: 6

Turn 12

Investigators -

Mandy: [Combat] Stomps the Maniac skulking around the Black Cave. It's all in a days work, she says. Mt. Man Murphy, obviously impressed, joins her cause in an encounter.
Kate: Moves to the Historical Society [Combat] passes horror check and defeats Vampire! w/Mandy's reroll. Goes through Gate to the Plateau of Leng. Fails a fight check to escape a crevasse and is DELAYED!
Amanda: Chills at the hospital and heals one Sta. Still terrorized by monsters in the streets.

Mythos- Blue Flu!

Gate: Another Dimension and the Unameable.
Monster: Ghost
Clue: Lost in the Woods

**passed rumor check**

Counts -

Doom: 7

Turn 13

Investigators -

Kate: Stands up in the 1st Area of Leng and passes a sneak check -1 to evade a bunch of nasty villagers.
Amanda: Once again cowers in fear of monsters in the steet will stuck in the hospital. Gains 1 Sta for her troubles.
Mandy: Moves to Misk U streets to KICK SOME MORE ASS! Proceeds to stomp some [Combat] Dimensional Shambler into dust.

Mythos- Family Found Butchered! + 1 to Terror Level. Close General Store. Discard Ally.

Gate: BLOCKED by an Elder Sign at the Graveyard
Monster: None!
Clue: Lost at the Unvisited Isle.

**failed rumor check - raise Terror Level and Discard Ally**

Counts -

Terror Level: 4

Turn 14

Investigators -

Amanda: Moves to the Uptown Sts to [Combat] and Elder Thing. She fails her horror check, loses 2 San but defeats it!
Mandy: Moves to the Science Building and gathers 2 clues. Strange Machinery Encounter! She passes a skill check and manages and [Closes] 2 of the 4 Open Gates (The Unameable and the Woods).
Kate: Moves on to Area 2 of Leng and [Casts] Find Gate to Return to Arkham at the Historical Society. She [Closes] and [Seals] the Gate with her Elder Sign! Removes 1 Doom Token for Seal.

[Somewhere in all those Gate closings 1 monster was Banished]

Mythos- Ghost Ship Docks by Itself! A Maniac and a Ghoul are dumped into the Merchant District Streets.

Gate: The Dreamlands at the Unameable.
Monster: Cthonian!!!
Clue: The Woods

**passed rumor check**

Counts -

Open Gates: 2 [edited]

Turn 15

Investigators -

Mandy: Moves to South Church and spends 5 toughness points of monsters to get blessed.
Kate: Moves to South Church and spends a gate trophy to get blessed.
Amanda: Moves to South Church and spends a gate trophy to get blessed.

Mythos- Scientist Warns of Dimensional Rift!

Gate: Monster Surge at the Unvisited Isle!
Monster: 3 monsters added to the Outskirts

**failed rumor check - add 1 to terror level - discard ally**

Counts -

Open Gates: 2 [edited]
Terror Level: 5

Turn 16

Investigators -

Kate: Goes to the Woods and gathers a clue. She gains a cross in an encounter!
Amanda: Goes to the Science Building and gathers a clue. Has an uneventful encounter.
Mandy: Moves to the Easttown Streets to seek vengeance on the Gug for her pal Amanda. [Combat] She fails her horror check and loses 2 San, passes combat check and defeats Gug!

Mythos- Things of Darkness

Gate: A gate to the Plateau of Leng appears at the Silver Twilight Lodge
Monster: High Priest
Clue: Graveyard

**passed rumor check**

Counts -

Doom: 8
Open Gates: 3 [edited]
Terror Level: 5

Turn 17

[Upkeep - all investigator pass their blessing check!]

Investigators -

Amanda: Goes to the Graveyard and gathers a clue. Passes a Luck -1 check, gains 2 clues and is sent to the Asylum and spends $2 to max her San.
Mandy: Goes to Arkham Asylum and spends $2 to max her San.
Kate: Goes to St Mary's Hospital and spends $2 to max her Sta.

Mythos- South Side Strangler Suspected! [sends 2 monsters to the outskirts - exceeds limit - terror goes up 1 and an ally is discarded]

Gate: A gate to R'Lyeh appears at the Woods.
Monster: 1 monster sent to the Outskirts.
Clue: Historical Society

**passed rumor check**

Counts -

Doom: 9
Open Gates: 4 [edited]
Terror Level: 6

Turn 18

Investigators -

[Upkeep - Mandy loses her blessing!]

Mandy: Moves the the French Hill Streets and chills.
Kate: Goes to Ye Olde Magic Shoppe and buys the Shrivelling spell.
Amanda:Goes to Velma's Diner and gets some food from good old Velma.

Mythos- Noden's Favor - 3 Clues to Seal!

Gate: Tries to appear at the Witch House but is DENIED BY SEAL!
Monster: NONE
Clue: Black Cave

**failed rumor check - terror goes up 1 - discard ally**

Counts -

Terror Level: 7

Turn 19

[Upkeep - Kate and Mandy keep their blessings]

Investigators -

Kate: Goes to South Church and gets Mandy blessed.
Amanda: Goes to the Graveyard and takes a clue. Has an encounter that gains her 2 San but she's already maxed.
Mandy: Goes to St Mark's Hospital and spends $2 to max her Sta.

Mythos- Lodge Members Watch the Night [High Priest is returned to the cup]

Gate: A Monster Surge at the Unvisited Isle.
Monster: All 3 monsters to the Outskirts.

**passed rumor check**

Counts -

Turn 20

[Upkeep - everyone keeps their blessings]

Investigators -

Amanda: Sprints to the Twilight Lodge and plunges through the gate to Leng where she passes a Lore -2 check for $6!
Mandy: Runs off to the Woods and leaps into the gate to R'Lyeh where she has an uneventful encounter.
Kate: Wanders aimlessly down to the Easttown Streets where nothing much happens.

Mythos- DOOOOOOM to 10!!!!

Gate: A gate appears at the Science Building sending Yig's Doom track to 10 and awakening him!!!!
Monster: YIG!!!!
Clue: YIG!!!

Counts -

Doom: 10

BATTLE WITH YIG

Cursed by Yig we all lose our blessings!

Round 1

Investigators -

Mandy: Rolls 4 successes!
Kate: Rolls 4 successes!
Amanda: Rolls 2 successes.

[10 total successes]

Yig -

Mandy: passes speed +1
Kate: fails speed +1 and loses 1 Sta and 1 San
Amanda: passes speed +1

Round 2

Investigators -

Kate: Rolls 3 successes.
Amanda: Rolls 9 successes!!!
Mandy: Rolls 2 successes.

[14 total successes]

Yig -

Kate: passes speed +0
Amanda: passes speed +0
Mandy: passes speed +0

Round 3

Investigators -

Amanda: Rolls 4 successes.
Mandy: Rolls 5 successes!
Kate: Rolls 4 successes.

[13 total successes]

Yig - IS TOAST!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Session Reports and they tend to come in two varieties...I happen to write mine in the first of the two varieties...a narrative style like a condensed short story and the other variety, as it is presented here ~ which provides infinitely greater detail. I love them both. Thank you for sharing it with us.

The only thing I would say strategically...Kate spent far too much time in stable locations and streets. As it is, her Special Ability isn't often seen during a game...which is further reduced if you have her spending time in the very places where it's no good at all.

Glad you're enjoying the game...it's about the journey, not the destination!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
I love Session Reports and they tend to come in two varieties...I happen to write mine in the first of the two varieties...a narrative style like a condensed short story and the other variety, as it is presented here ~ which provides infinitely greater detail. I love them both. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thanks!

Quote:
The only thing I would say strategically...Kate spent far too much time in stable locations and streets. As it is, her Special Ability isn't often seen during a game...which is further reduced if you have her spending time in the very places where it's no good at all.

It's a good idea but it's hard to justify sending someone to an unstable location if there's not even a clue there - given how some of those encounters seem to just whittle away at your San and Sta. I suppose I could have made her primary gate closer and sent her after all the clues serving two purposes at the same time, though...

As it is I think we were dilly dallying around a little too much. Not jumping into gates quickly enough. We did have some problems even getting to the few open gates early in the game with all those monster surges clumping monsters together on or blocking access to the gates. Even so I think we were probably a bit too cautious about sending investigators into open gates.

Is 20 turns on a 10 doom track Ancient One some sort of statistical anomaly? That has to be a crazy amount of time to get 6 seals and we didn't manage it! That's the one frustrating thing for me...

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying the game...it's about the journey, not the destination!

Yeah, definitely a fun game either way. It can be a little too easy chasing encounters and, perhaps, not focusing on the task at hand, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Turn 2

Mythos- R'Lyeh Rising!

Gate: A monster surge at the Woods!
Monster: A Maniac and a Formless Spawn on the woods gate and a Gug at the Historical Society gate.
Clue:

Should be

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Turn 3
Mythos- Happy Days are Here Again!

Gate: A monster surge at The Woods!
Monster: A Dimensional Shambler and a Fire Vampire (to outskirts) at The Woods and a Ghoul at the Historical society.
Clue: Lost

For consistency:

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Turn 5

Mythos- Sheldon Gang!

Gate: City of the Great Race at the Graveyard.
Monster: to the outskirts along with the 2 that the sheldon gang released. Terror level goes up! Ally Discarded!
Clue:

Should be
Clue: Unvisited Isle

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Turn 6

Mythos- 4th of July Parade

Gate: R'Lyeh at the Witch House dropped squarely on Amanda's head. She's drawn through to the first area!
Monster: to the outskirts

For consistency:

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Turn 6

Counts -

Monsters in Outskirts: 2

Turn 7

Investigators -

Mandy: Tries and fails again to read the KiY. She moves to the Misk U streets and [Combat] wails on a Maniac to vent her frustration. She's doubly frustrated when she learns that Maniacs are Endless and can't be collected!

Maniacs are only Endless if the Terror Level is 6 or higher; the Terror Level was 1 at this point, Mandy should have collected the trophy.

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Turn 8

Mythos - Disturbing the Dead RUMOR!!!

Gate: Yuggoth at the Black Cave
Monster: Dark Young!!!

Rumors do not provide clues.

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Turn 11

Mythos- Alien Technology

Gate: A Monster Surge (yes, another monster surge) at the Unvisited Isle
Monster: A Vampire to the Historical Society, a Cultist to the Unvisited Isle and 1 to the Outskirts.

Should be

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Turn 13
Counts -

Turn 14

Investigators -

Amanda: Moves to the Uptown Sts to [Combat] and Elder Thing. She fails her horror check, loses 2 San but defeats it!
Mandy: Moves to the Science Building and gathers 2 clues. Strange Machinery Encounter! She passes a skill check and manages and [Closes] 2 of the 4 Open Gates (The Unameable and the Woods).
Kate: Moves on to Area 2 of Leng and [Casts] Find Gate to Return to Arkham at the Historical Society. She [Closes] and [Seals] the Gate with her Elder Sign! Removes 1 Doom Token for Seal.

[Somewhere in all those Gate closings 1 monster was Banished]

Mythos- Ghost Ship Docks by Itself! A Maniac and a Ghoul are dumped into the Merchant District Streets.

Gate: The Dreamlands at the Unameable.
Monster: Cthonian!!!
Clue: The Woods

**passed rumor check**

Counts -

Open Gates: 1

Shouldn't there be 2 open gates here:
The Abyss at the Unvisited Isle
The Dreamlands at the Unnameable

I will try to look at the rest later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:

Rumors do not provide clues.

I got a little lazy and forgot to always records where clues were lost at. Thanks for pointing those out!

tuckerotl wrote:
Maniacs are only Endless if the Terror Level is 6 or higher; the Terror Level was 1 at this point, Mandy should have collected the trophy.

You're right! I just saw the word "Endless" on the back of the marker and assumed the worst.

tuckerotl wrote:

Shouldn't there be 2 open gates here:
The Abyss at the Unvisited Isle
The Dreamlands at the Unnameable

I will try to look at the rest later

Yes, you're right. We had it down to one with Kate closing the gate to Leng at the Historical Society and Mandy closing 2 gates with the encounter at the Science Builing. I forgot to add in the gate opened by the Mythos card.

I added those counts to the session report - they weren't in my original notes - by reconstructing from what I had written. I just overlooked that.

Thanks again for taking the time to read through it!!!

[EDIT: I've edited the original session report with the revised gate counts]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.