11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Essen by bus from Finland & Sweden rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is going to be a bus from Finland to Essen this year. Forget airline luggage limits and being treated like cattle.

The intricacies of geography mean that we will be crossing beautiful Sweden as well, so I thought of asking if any Swedes would like to get on board.

http://igg.me/at/spielbybus

This is the proposed itinerary to Essen:

Tuesday 22 October 2013
17:30 Helsinki – 20:00 Turku
20:55 Turku – 06:30 (23.10.2013) Stockholm by ferry

Wednesday 23 October 2013
07:00 Stockholm – 11:00 Jönköping
11:00 – 11:30: Break for changing drivers and refueling
11:30 Jönköping – 14:00 Helsingborg
14:00 Helsingborg – 14:20 Helsingør by ferry
14:20 Helsingør – 16:15 Rødby
16:15 Rødby – 17:00 Puttgarden by ferry
17:00 Puttgarden – 18:30 Hamburg (change of driver and 15 minutes break)
18:45 Hamburg – 22:30 Essen

Picking up in Stockholm's Stadsgården is easy, as we will be arriving by Viking Line on 23 October 2013, and leaving to Essen from there.

Jönköping is an expected break point. Any recommendations near the highway? Any interest from Norrköping or Linköping?

The bus would be leaving Essen on Sunday (27.10.) night.

The return ticket from Stockhom is expected to be around approximately 200 EUR, Jönköping 175 EUR or so.

Any questions? Feedback?

(edits: formatting and lots of "ø")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and Copenhagen, Bremen, Hamburg might also become available, if the scheduling works, but Finland and Sweden -based geeks will have priority for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea, but we've already booked our flights for this year's trip to Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoiding Bron/Broen aka The Bridge

Having just watched that, I would say that is a wise move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://igg.me/at/spielbybus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Müller
Germany
Wörrstadt
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, sounds like fun! Maybe if I can get holidays for the week after Essen, I could join you on your way back to then spend some days travelling Suomi. Only need to figure out how to get back to Germany (I hate airplanes).

Highly unlikely I could make it this year, but maybe next year if you do it again.

So here's hoping you do succeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormcloak wrote:
Heh, sounds like fun! Maybe if I can get holidays for the week after Essen, I could join you on your way back to then spend some days travelling Suomi. Only need to figure out how to get back to Germany (I hate airplanes).

Highly unlikely I could make it this year, but maybe next year if you do it again.

So here's hoping you do succeed!

If the bus goes and you just need a one-way ticket, I am sure you can get a discounted price. And I hate airplanes too, shall we start a BGG Guild?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate airplanes too. I took Eurolines to Stockholm + Viking Line To Helsinki + Train to Jyvaskyla when I went for several months to Finland as an Erasmus student; even if I would have saved like 36 hours of travel if I had just taken the plane

Good luck to you guys on getting a full bus. If it doesn't work out in that you can't find enough people to make it worthwhile, my tip is to check Eurolines for bus tickets and you can still go by bus then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameTravel.com
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The bus is not running, as it seems like there was not enough demand for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always forget to check the dates people posted something on here >_> I'm used to forums where "topic on first page" means it's been posted in same day. Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameTravel wrote:
The bus is not running, as it seems like there was not enough demand for it.

Too bad! soblue It was a cool idea! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.