Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I was wondering if someone could provide a quick and general comparison of the different LCGs, in regards to rule complexity.

My feeling is that the newest one, Star Wars, is the easiest one to learn and play, but I haven't played it so I might be wrong.

Thanks for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Complete & Sufficient Statistician
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion:

Fairly Complex:
Android: Netrunner, Call of Cthulhu

Moderate:
Lord of the Rings

Fairly Simple:
Star Wars, Warhammer: Invasion

Haven't played:
A Game of Thrones

I haven't played Call of Cthulhu or Invasion in a while (don't own the former and don't like the latter), so I'm not comfortable ordering the games within each category.

For me, Android: Netrunner's learning curve seemed U-shaped (difficult terminology, followed by straightforward gameplay, followed by difficult timing issues and card interpretations). The difficulty curves for the other games seemed a little more flat (less so for Call of Cthulhu, which also has a few advanced rules issues).

I honestly don't think any of them are very simple or horribly complicated. Star Wars is a good starting point if you are worried about rules complexity.

Edit: Bumped Call of Cthulhu up a category. Come to think of it, I did have more than a couple of issues with the rules and card interpretations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, it's all subjective. For example, Lord of the Rings has a rigid turn structure, while Netrunner's is a little more freeform. I find structured games easier to follow, but others may feel the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all but Cthulhu.

In order of complexity I'd rate the ones I've played:

A Game Of Thrones > Android: Netrunner > Lord Of The Rings > Warhammer Invasion > Star Wars

In order of enjoyment, however:

Android: Netrunner > Warhammer Invasion > A Game Of Thrones > Star Wars > Lord Of The Rings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers.

Actually, I'm not really inquiring for myself. I've been playing the LotR LCG for a few months now (solo), and although it's the only one I've played, I think I could grasp any of them fairly easily. No, I'm asking because my oldest son, who is 10, has been showing some interest, as well as my second son, who is 8. Naturally, I've been inclined to buy the Star Wars one to try it with them, but my oldest has told me that he's not really into Star Wars, he'd rather play something in the "Cthulhu World" (he's familiar with Arkham Horror, and has even played it a little bit with me).

The easiest thing would be to try the LotR one with him and see how he takes to it, but I'm afraid that the theme would also be somewhat of a turn-off for him. Picky boy.

Anyway, I'll ponder it in light of what you have told me.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one final comment.

In terms of quality, you're not going to do much better than Android:Netrunner (again, I still haven't tried A Game of Thrones). Each game is a unique experience. Out of the roughly 400 tabletop games I've played, it's my 2nd favorite. It definitely deserves its spot in BGG's top 10.

The complexity of the game really depends upon how well you really learn it. The terminology is a little intimidating at first (for example, there is a different name for each player's discard pile, and neither is "discard pile"), but the basic gameplay is fairly simple. You'll eventually run into some head-scratching moments, usually due to timing issues or card interpretation, and that's where the difficulty comes in, but in practice it doesn't come up too much, and for casual play, you can always just use a personal ruling instead of digging through the depths of the internet for an answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I still haven't made up my mind completely, but I think what I'll eventually end up doing is get the Call of Cthulhu one to try it with my oldest, and the Star Wars one to try with my 8-year-old, and I'll see how that plays out.

But I'll definitely keep Android: Netrunner in mind for the future.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how it stands as of now...

I read both the Call of Cthulhu and Star Wars rulebooks (and strangely enough, the CoC rules were much easier to absord than then SW ones), thought about it (a little), and eventually decided to get them both (as a birthday present to myself). I ordered them last week.

Now, my wife just told me that the package arrived. I'll probably try a few solo trial games, and then (this weekend if I can) I'll try one (or both) with my boys.

I'll try to come back with a further update once I've played with them some.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure to read through the Call of Cthulhu FAQ (maybe not for the first game, but eventually). CoC appears to have simple rules, but unless you are familiar with the FAQ, you will eventually run into issues. Even if you find the rules to Star Wars to be more challenging, you are less likely to run into issues in that game.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:
Thanks for your answers.

Actually, I'm not really inquiring for myself. I've been playing the LotR LCG for a few months now (solo), and although it's the only one I've played, I think I could grasp any of them fairly easily. No, I'm asking because my oldest son, who is 10, has been showing some interest, as well as my second son, who is 8. Naturally, I've been inclined to buy the Star Wars one to try it with them, but my oldest has told me that he's not really into Star Wars, he'd rather play something in the "Cthulhu World" (he's familiar with Arkham Horror, and has even played it a little bit with me).

The easiest thing would be to try the LotR one with him and see how he takes to it, but I'm afraid that the theme would also be somewhat of a turn-off for him. Picky boy.

Anyway, I'll ponder it in light of what you have told me.

Thanks again.

See that's what's wrong with the world today, the young ones don't like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

BTW thanks to everyone that provided feedback to the OP, I've been wanting some of these answers myself for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
See that's what's wrong with the world today, the young ones don't like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

BTW thanks to everyone that provided feedback to the OP, I've been wanting some of these answers myself for awhile.

Well, some of them do. My 8-year-old likes both a lot, and now, seeing me play Call of Cthulhu with his older brother, he wants to try that too!

It's really been a good experience with both games, with both my sons. I usually win, because I don't go easy on them, but it's always close, and I can see the day when they'll regularly beat me. Fun times.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.