9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Confused on Expanion Sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate B.
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really want to get into the X-Wing miniatures game. I have read some reviews and watched some videos and it really seems like a pretty sweet game. I am confused though. The base set contains two imperial fighters and one rebel fighter. Now I'm not completely sure on how the game works completely, but wouldn't that small amount of ships going against each other make for a fairly short game? I am wondering because it would seem like you would have to get a few more ships to actually have a game that is lengthy. Am I just not understanding the game correctly or can a game really take a decent amount of time with a few amount of ships. An expansion pack comes with one ship and I have found they usually sell for about $10. It doesn't seem right to invest a lot of money on expansions including the core set to have a lengthy and full game. Could someone clarify all this for me before I start buying a lot of sets because I don't fully understand how the game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game can be played by itself using the three included scenarios. However, like all miniature games it is really a gateway into a larger system that involves getting additional ships for larger more diverse battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Case
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing is - with the more advanced pilots, with special abilities and equipment and stuff, the game has more options. If you did just a stock Rookie TIE versus a Rookie X-Wing, yeah, the game would go pretty quickly - but there's a bit more to it if you throw some bells and whistles into the mix.

That said the game does become more fun with more ships. Heck even just two core sets would do you well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chainsaw Rabbit
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the core set containing only three ships, there is a lot of game right out of the box.

First you run through the introductory scenario to get a feel for the basic mechanics. Then you study the full ruleset and run through the "default" setup show in the game set-up section of the main rules. After that, the game comes with three unique scenarios all playable right out of the box.

If both players have a marginal feel for tactics, the default scenario can take twenty minutes or more. My wife and I have played the default set-up several times, and each time it wasn't an overly quick game. Yes, the games would've lasted longer and be more involved if we had more ships, but we still had a really good time with just a single core set.

Now, the expansions do add a lot in the way of options, but the array of different choices in a single core set gives you plenty to tinker and play with. If you want to play in tournaments, expansions are a definite must, but if you just want to get a feel for the game or are a semi-gaming Star Wars fan, a single core set is an excellent investment to get you started and to help you see if you want to go bigger.

I bought a single core set and played the crap out of it, then bought a second core set and one of each expansion for (you guessed it!) more choices when squad-building. The minis do seem expensive between their detail, the licensing costs, and the skyrocketing cost of good plastic, but they look amazing and add so much to the game if you decide a larger investment is worth your time. Definitely shop around depending on your budget.

TL;DR: Despite only three miniatures, Star Wars: X-Wing is great out of the box. Buy it, play it, play with it, and if it catches your fancy, start expanding your roster with additional core sets (I'd recommend at least two for dice and templates) and expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ya ya
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game's balance works with a point system, you can play with the 3 core ships but (you'right) it will be not enough to have best fun.
BUT the tournament are only 100 points by faction, in fact you would not need to spend lot of money (compared with miniatures-games).

some squadrons exemple are given here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3483

as you see, you can got only 3 ships and be ready for the "completed experience"

If you don't want spend to much money ; choose only one faction (try to make few exchange) and may be choose the Rebel Alliance because their ship are more expensive in point, so lesser.

More you want have different squadrons combos, more it's will be expensive.
(4 news ships all the 6 month i find it's correct rhythm that does not abuse the customer. 1 miniatureship = lot of possibility)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The squadron that won the first World Championship had an MSRP of $110. That's crazy cheap compared to pretty much any other game out there that even has tournaments.

The question I ask is not "is it a good game right out of the box," but rather "do I get my money's worth out of the game line overall?" Answer is "kind of" to the first, but a resounding yes to the second, probably more so than many other games I own that are totally self-contained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you provide the ships for yourself and your opponent and want to play the 100 point game, you will probably need about two base games and two more rebel ships (X- and/ or Y-Wing) and two or even more Empire ships (Tie Advanced or Tie Fighter).

You can get it cheaper if you find card texts from the Internet and print proxies. Then you don't have to buy X-Wing and Tie-Fighter expansions and can buy a third base game to get additional ships for a slightly lower price. The cards are the only reason to buy X-Wings or Ties as expansion instead of another base game.

Of course, you can play a smaller point total. With two base games, you can make squads for about 60 points which is enough for a quick game, but you will quickly have the feeling that some more different ships would spice it up.

If you want a game that feels complete with a small number of aircraft, look into Wings of Glore (formerly Wings of War). The game is similar, but there is no squadbuilding. You just pick some minis from the same period plus a rules and accessories set. Not sure if it is cheaper, but it builds up less pressure to collect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on why you collect. For the playing experience, one plane per player is enough. If you collect for the variance of models and paint jobs, however, X-Wing will be cheaper for you ;-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
The base game can be played by itself using the three included scenarios. However, like all miniature games it is really a gateway into a larger system that involves getting additional ships for larger more diverse battles.

You've taken your first steps into a larger world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.