Popular Tags: [View All]
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am horrified to see that chat has been removed from this site.

The site is MUCH WORSE now that chat has been taken away.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Never been anyone there whenever I went in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to say... did anyone ever use GeekChat?

Okay, there must have been GeekChat users, given the hue and cry over it being missing. So the question becomes: how many users regularly used GeekChat?

Just wondering...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
GeekChat will return - it was pretty badly implemented and I can make it better with Ajax power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't agree more with the original poster. The first feature that I looked for in the menus was the geekchat, and I kept looking for it because I thought I was missing something.

There are a great group of people who regularly go into the chat, and it was a great community where one could talk about anything. It is a huge disappointment to me, and I hope that it will be added back to the site.

Edit:

I am very excited that it will be back....Aldie, you must have posted while I was typing my message, I didn't see that before!

And to answer the other poster, I went in the chat a lot and can think of a handful of others who did too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
GeekChat will return - it was pretty badly implemented and I can make it better with Ajax power.

That is fantastic, Aldie! Thank you very much!! Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puella wrote:

I am very excited that it will be back....Aldie, you must have posted while I was typing my message, I didn't see that before!

And to answer the other poster, I went in the chat a lot and can think of a handful of others who did too.

It was way more than a "handful". I have seen hundreds over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
kimbo wrote:
how many users regularly used GeekChat?

(in lieu of a hands-up emoticon)

Was there usually between 10 pm and midnight (Pacific Time) most evenings of the week. Had a few other regulars in there at that time also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Safari compatible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We'll just have to await and 'see' if this truly lives up to its "hyperbole", since ONE very exclusive 'feature' that I always liked to tout about 'this' site's CHAT over ANY others was the ability to "impress" the 'n00bz' with the inclusion of actual photos of GAMES or whatever from the 'site', that were being 'discussed' while we were engaged in IT! Also, maybe have it along the 'lines' of like HERE where we can expound upon certain subjects in a decent "paragraph" instead of segmented 'sentences', for when this is appropriate. Also, WHAT would it 'cost' for 'moi' to obtain a "cyber-'beotch'-slap" feature so that I can "reach out and *SMACK* someone"? Now, I'm really concerned with a certain few who tend to use *expletives* while in THIS!?! One thing I noticed is that plenty of "NEW Users" tended to check out the CHAT firstly, and we always tried to accomodate them when we could. Considering I'm about the very LAST of the "First" CHAT folks around STILL, while I've seen MANY come & go in just under the YEAR that this was intially implemented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognads, I hope to see you in chat soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now the festivities are over and work has once again begun I'm looking forward to my 3am(GMT) chats with my buddies again.

See you soon guys & gals!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David! Hope to see you soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jason! Great to see you! Hope things are running smoothly at the T.I.C. See you soon, I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
David Greene wrote:
I am horrified to see that chat has been removed from this site.

Then use the #BGG channel on irc.dal.net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We won't get the same great group of regulars on the IRC chat, plus new people on the site may not easily find the room. GeekChat was a great way of making new BGG members feel at home on the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ginn
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good too hear chat will be back! I generally check-in at least once a week on the 'chat, especially if I need my surprise GROGnads fix!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go in the chat a few nights a week. I have met some truly great people via the chat, and I'm glad it's coming back so that others don't miss out on the experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
David Greene wrote:
We won't get the same great group of regulars on the IRC chat...

No, you'll meet a different set of regulars, and have bonus of the choice of using a competent client application for the purpose.

Quote:
...plus new people on the site may not easily find the room.

There are many web-based IRC clients that could easily be installed on local servers or even here on the 'geek should Aldie wish to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the improvements don't knock me off. The old and stale GeekChat had the advantage of slipping through my companies web filter, unlike the Yahoo Group chats, that got blocked right off the bat. Also, please never separate BoardGameGeek into Board Game Geek, I am sure that would be smacked by our WebSense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss GeekChat. I hope Aldie brings it back very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
First time I log in since New Year, and I couldn't find the chat. Now that the holidays are over and we are back to work, I have more time available to talk to the people I got to learn here in the past few months. I'm surprised that the chat has been removed from the site, but I've found out by now that it will come back. So please let that be soon.

Gwen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely going through GeekChat withdrawal.....but am patiently awaiting its return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.