Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This came up in a post on the strategy forum. I indicated that you might want to place your disk from the factory directly into the $3 Liquidation spot in order to undercut players who placed into the $8-$6 spot. In most cases, you'd be doing it strictly as an offensive move (costing yourself money to deny money to another player), but I can see it being useful if, say, you had an Assembly Line, In-House Factory, and Premium Product.

I said at the time that I wasn't sure if it was allowable, and the rules don't seem to indicate for sure - they say that if the Retail Outlets are full, you must Liquidate and the product is sold immediately - it doesn't say whether or not that uses up a consumer for the round (if it doesn't, then it's pointless to do if you don't have to), and it doesn't say if voluntarily placing on the $3 bracket (if it's a bracket) works the same as being forced to liquidate.

Thematically, it seems to make sense - if there is a $3 widget available when the 4 customers are making their buying decisions, the first one is going to buy for $3, and there will only be 3 customers left to buy the more expensive widgets. (Whereas, after those 4 customers buy, if you decide to liquidate product that didn't sell, you're selling to people who maybe didn't really want a widget, but are willing to take one off your hands for cheap.) In the case of Assembly Line, In-House Factory, Premium Product - I can produce a product that's better and cheaper than yours, so if I make enough of it to satisfy demand, you're out of luck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that while your view makes thematic sense, I know the rules say the liquidation is always open to players no matter how many players use it, so it's pretty obvious from that rule that the liquidation spot does not use up consumers. Perhaps in a thematic interpretation, liquidation can entice people to buy things they might not have otherwise purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory, selling at the liquidation price does not use up a consumer as it is an immediate payout that does not require wait for the number of consumers to be revealed.

Thematically, think of it as selling to a liquidation company instead of selling it via standard retail outlets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the other thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11357330#11357330

(Chris, I'm sure you'll see it over there. I'm just linking it for anyone else who stumbles on the thread)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mathue, I was just about to post basically the same thing, so I'll just do it anyway. Seth answered this over in that other thread:

sedjtroll wrote:
I don't know if those thematic trapping help, but the rules are that Liquidation isn't a bin, and therefore cannot undercut someone at $6 or $8 (or any other space in Retail Outlets).

Note, I wasn't trying to be overly stubborn, I just think that it wasn't clear in the rules and the way I originally understood it is counter to what Seth clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:

Mathue, I was just about to post basically the same thing, so I'll just do it anyway. Seth answered this over in that other thread:

sedjtroll wrote:
I don't know if those thematic trapping help, but the rules are that Liquidation isn't a bin, and therefore cannot undercut someone at $6 or $8 (or any other space in Retail Outlets).

Note, I wasn't trying to be overly stubborn, I just think that it wasn't clear in the rules and the way I originally understood it is counter to what Seth clarified.

I can see how that could be a little confusing - we did put the Liquidation box on the board and it does look like a bin you could place in - I think that the good outweighs the bad in this case (graphic design wise), so I don't mind having to clarify that you don't actually price your goods at $3 on purpose, unless you have to because all the spots in the Outlets proper are filled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- doesitplay -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
To put it in a thematic way: liquidation means that you sell at (almost) cost or lower to wholesale buyers, the buyers that afterwards sell on the secondary market, ebay for instance.

So going directly from the factory to liquidation doesn't make sense, thematic or game wise. A factory will always try to sell their product for some profit, with liquidation they loose money: you get $3, the product costs $2 + 2 info, not counting the resources (timemarkers and cubes).

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamer Morad

Pasadena
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the Rules do say that any time markers placed in Liquidation are Immediately sold for $3 ...and therefore removed from the board/queue etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Lombardo
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
If it's the last round though, you might NEED the $3 and the only spots left are spots that surely will not sell. I agree with the interpretation of the written rules that a player cannot choose to put their marker in liquidation unless all of the other bins are full, but I'm probably going to start playing with a house rule that you can choose to put it in Liquidation if you want (and it does not count as a consumer purchase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarrodlombardo wrote:
If it's the last round though, you might NEED the $3 and the only spots left are spots that surely will not sell. I agree with the interpretation of the written rules that a player cannot choose to put their marker in liquidation unless all of the other bins are full, but I'm probably going to start playing with a house rule that you can choose to put it in Liquidation if you want (and it does not count as a consumer purchase).

Jarrod - you can always sell any unsold goods for $3 (Liquidation) at the end of the phase. If it doesn't count as a consumer purchase (which it doesn't, as clarified by Seth), then there's literally no reason to voluntarily put your good into the $3 "bracket".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Lombardo
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
arkayn wrote:
jarrodlombardo wrote:

Jarrod - you can always sell any unsold goods for $3 (Liquidation) at the end of the phase. If it doesn't count as a consumer purchase (which it doesn't, as clarified by Seth), then there's literally no reason to voluntarily put your good into the $3 "bracket".

Oh, right. I forgot you could go down to ANY bracket when you are moving your unsold markers down, not just the next bracket down. That does fix it and there's no need for a house rule. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.