Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Current Phase
Brainstorming

Brief Idea
Taking from my experience working with the railroad) where you start off owning a short line, and as the game progresses you can purchase more stations allowing your train to move farther. You can also purchase more engines to have more trains or bigger trains moving along your rail line.

Victory Conditons
You score points based off of the amount of cargo delivered. While you can only go so far on railroads you don't own, you can hand off cargo so as a result you will share the victory points with other railroads as well.

Number of Player's
1-5

Time to Play
???

Learning Curve
???

Recommended Age
???

Components
05 Start Location Games
05 Rail Yard Boards
?? Rail Yard Tiles
More to Come, still brainstorming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the 18xx series or like the Bindle Rails series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Like the 18xx series or like the Bindle Rails series?

I'm not really a train gamer so I have to research some still, as I'm not familiar with either series.

I had a similar comment on my brain storm thread, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11362381#11362381

I'm a train conductor, and spend 12 hours a day 5 days a week working on trains, taking the freight from one stop to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blaird wrote:

I'm a train conductor, and spend 12 hours a day 5 days a week working on trains, taking the freight from one stop to another.

Neat. It would be interesting to see a train game from the perspective of an actual train conductor.

(I'be been reading a lot of Plato recently, and while I think he was a major dick, I am intrigued by some of his ideas about art that is generated by amateurs in a given subject versus art created by experts in a field--like a painter painting a bed versus a bed-maker painting a bed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: Sixty-hour work weeks? Dang! I hope you're well-compensated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
blaird wrote:

Neat. It would be interesting to see a train game from the perspective of an actual train conductor.

(I'be been reading a lot of Plato recently, and while I think he was a major dick, I am intrigued by some of his ideas about art that is generated by amateurs in a given subject versus art created by experts in a field--like a painter painting a bed versus a bed-maker painting a bed.)

From the perspective of the conductor is kind of what I'm aiming for.

As for the Plato quote, I'm going to have to remember that for my classwork. I'm working for the rail road so that I can take care of the growing family, 2 boys and my wife is pregnant with child number 3 due in September, while I go to college. I'm studying Game Art and Design at the Art Institute as an art major, while most of my art work is abstract I have a few pathetic sketches of stuff other than abstract. (most of my all ready graded work is Here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
well, still very much brainstorming. I've been fighting illness for the last couple of days, and spent today at home. my white board is pretty messy now, just bouncing ideas off of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My brain is mush, right now. Here's my current theories:

* I will be using a large map of the US for the game board. (Also where I'm getting linking tracks from)
* I will be using multiple car types
-Tanks
-Hoppers
-Auto Wracks
-Reefer's (or refrigerated cars)
-Flats
-Wind Flats (Two flat cars welded together)
-Gondola's
-Box Cars
* Each individual locomotive will have a weight limit, so if you are over weight your engine can't pull the train unless you dedicate more engines to the consist.
* I have 5 starting locations chosen
-Georgia
-Minnesota
-Nevada
-New Mexico
-Washington
* Locations are currently being broken down by state, and each state will have a set cost to purchase the rail, however there can be multiple owners in a state.
* Cargo will be individualized by what is common from each area, and will vary city by city. (still have to research)
* Points still trying to figure out scoring, but will most likely be awarded to every carrier that handles the cargo.
* Event Cards
-Derailments
-Floods
-Fire
-Wrong Car
-Bonus Points
-Corn/Oats/Beans (From Local Elevators)
* Game Boards (That I still plan on hand making)
-Game Board (Map and score)
-Rail Yards (Current Plan is 5 but might make one per
state)
-Tiles so that Rail Yards can expand
* Cards (still have to be created and finish brainstorming them)
-Location Cards (State Cards)
-Starter Cards (Random Starting Location)
-Event Cards
-Cargo Cards
-Destination Cards (might combine with cargo cards)
-Cars (still unsure if I will use cards or blocks or chits)
-Money (not sure how to create money for play testing or prototype but will figure something out)
* Game Components (Most likely will use small train erasers I've seen before for the time being, create cards and decide if I'm using blocks)
* Movement
It takes 1 crew for the railroad I work for to go from Manly IA (Mason city) to Waterloo IA, then another crew from Waterloo IA to Cedar Rapids IA. Plus extra crews to work stops in between, so I'm planning on 1 turn being from major city to major city. While you can only travel a the length of one turn on a railroad you don't own forcing you to deliver the cars to another rail road who you pay to move the goods. However, they have a specific amount of time to return the cars, then you get to start charging them a fee for holding onto your cars.
* A Route Chart (What city connects to what city) I have 29 States remaining
* I still have to come up with a turn sequence and the actions that are taken during a game turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Crew Cards are now done, and I've changed the starting locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Also: Sixty-hour work weeks? Dang! I hope you're well-compensated!

not as well as I'd like, but at least its salary so if I can done early its a nice perk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.