Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark D
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pretty funny article, and hopefully this hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/battle-of-hoth/

Quote:
The single Rebel base (!) is defended by a few artillery pieces on its north slope, protecting its main power generator. An ion cannon is its main anti-aircraft/spacecraft defense. Its outermost perimeter defense is an energy shield that can deflect Imperial laser bombardment. But the shield has two huge flaws: It can’t stop an Imperial landing force from entering the atmosphere, and it can only open in a discrete place for a limited time so the Rebels’ Ion Cannon can protect an evacuation. In essence, the Rebels built a shield that can’t keep an invader out and complicates their own escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How funny! I just finished this article and came straight to BGG! Check out the comments under the article, that's where the real laughs are at
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assault on Hoth: The Empire Strikes Back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Articles like that are why the older I get, the more I realize Star Wars isn't as all-mighty as it used to appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on just the points in "ESB" the writer made several assumptions

1) He assumed that the TIE fighters could function in the harsh conditions on Hoth. The Rebels discussed the day before the invasion that they just adapted their speeders. My assumption would be that fighters would not work in the cold.
2) The writer assumes that the shield covered the entire planet, it did not - only the area of the bases thus why the AT-ATs need to land "beyond the energy field"
3) The shield was preventing direct bombardment, but knocking the shield down was not for this purpose; but to start direct landing of troops. General Veers tells Vader that he "may start his landing"
4) The writer also has harsh words that there was only a single base on Hoth - it was also clear that the base was also still under construction and that the assumption that there would not be additional support on the planet (when completed) seemed a little harsh
5) In the movies we see a single transport (the first) make it out safely - we do not know if the other transports made it.

I know it is all in good fun but the entire article seemed like he wrote it off the top of his head. It did wet my appetite for a more in depth analysis of the Empire's military strategy in the Galactic Civil War - from a good writer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTori wrote:

1) He assumed that the TIE fighters could function in the harsh conditions on Hoth. The Rebels discussed the day before the invasion that they just adapted their speeders. My assumption would be that fighters would not work in the cold.

Certainly the surface of Hoth isn't colder than space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
DarkTori wrote:

I'm no physicist outside of the Star Wars Universe but the cold atmosphere would have unknown effects on the TIE Fighter's Twin Ion Engines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well after watching the first movie which essentially had a moon-size station with a self-destruct exhaust port, I was willing to accept this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
DarkTori wrote:

Tie fighters don't seem to have great aerodynamic qualities....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great link thanks. The comments after the article are indeed the funniest part. I never realised the battle of Hoth was such an imperial disaster. There are certainly lessons to be learned here and this analysis should be included in every staff officers course around the world, umm I mean around the galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
MillertimeRC wrote:
DarkTori wrote:

Tie fighters don't seem to have great aerodynamic qualities....

The TIE Fighter has no surfaces to produce lift and could not function in atmospheric conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Twenty to twenty-two I worked in a comic book shop. It catered to the familiar demographic. So, we had lots of Star Wars stuff, Star Trek, D&D, etc.

One day, a young gentleman taps me on the shoulder and poses this hyper-complex question about warp drives, pointing to facts from this book contradicing that book not jibing with this movie and incongruous with that episode.

Working in the store, certainly an expert and authority in/on all things Star Wars and Star Trek, naturally I would have the answer to his conundrum, "how can that be?!"

"It's fiction."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RollingSherman wrote:
The TIE Fighter has no surfaces to produce lift and could not function in atmospheric conditions.

According to the source material, TIE Fighters can operate in atmosphere (they have a 1200 km/hr top speed), but...

Quote:
The front/rear cross-section of the fighter was designed to be small to make it difficult to hit with blasters, but these side panels proved easy targets for flanking enemy pilots.[21] They also hampered the fighter's ability to maneuver while in the atmosphere.

(Emphasis mine.)

If I recall, TIEs were seen flying around the Cloud City of Bespin in ESB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
isaacc wrote:

Twenty to twenty-two I worked in a comic book shop. It catered to the familiar demographic. So, we had lots of Star Wars stuff, Star Trek, D&D, etc.

One day, a young gentleman taps me on the shoulder and poses this hyper-complex question about warp drives, pointing to facts from this book contradicing that book not jibing with this movie and incongruous with that episode.

Working in the store, certainly an expert and authority in/on all things Star Wars and Star Trek, naturally I would have the answer to his conundrum, "how can that be?!"

"It's fiction."

Isaac is a meany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like Ackerman hasn't played Star Wars: Empire at War. If he had, well, he wouldn't have written that article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
RollingSherman wrote:

According to the source material, TIE Fighters can operate in atmosphere (they have a 1200 km/hr top speed), but...

Quote:
The front/rear cross-section of the fighter was designed to be small to make it difficult to hit with blasters, but these side panels proved easy targets for flanking enemy pilots.[21] They also hampered the fighter's ability to maneuver while in the atmosphere.

(Emphasis mine.)

If I recall, TIEs were seen flying around the Cloud City of Bespin in ESB.

You are right, they are seen in Cloud City. What I meant is that they shouldn't be able to operate given normal aircraft "rules," of course this fails to take into account that its Star Wars, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Xena answer on the Simpsons (paraphrase but close):

"Whenever you see something like that? A wizard did it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Since we are trashing Star Wars, does everyone know the Real Reason Episodes 1, 2 and 3 were made?

============================

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

Plinkett is not for the sensitive and certainly not for diehard Lucasions, but this is some damned funny sith...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RollingSherman wrote:

What does lift have to do with anything? If you can generate thrust in excess of your weight (yes, weight, not mass) you can do pretty much whatever you want to.

Lift is a crutch for vehicles that can't generate thrust in excess of their weight in local conditions. (Of course, guess which is much easier....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:

Articles like that are why the older I get, the more I realize Star Wars isn't as all-mighty as it used to appear.

That someone made the effort for a fictional battle of a film from 1980 speaks volumes about the power of Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in 1995 when I was a TIE Fighter pilot (In the campaign to stop the attempted coup by Zaarin) we never flew in atmosphere, those are different units than us spaceheads with different training etc.

I do consider myself an expert as I was one of the first pilots of the TIE Defender...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeahhh, I was there too man. Ever get stuck stationed on Trandosha? What a drag!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The writer wonders why Darth Vader is involved in the ground attack/entry into the Rebel Base- I always assumed Vader was after Luke, in fact in my mind that's the whole motivation of the attack- to capture Luke rather than destroy all the Rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoth is okay. It's the Empire's weakness against logs and teddy bears on Endor that bothers me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/hoth-symposium/all/

Wired posted a rebuttal to the previous Battle of Hoth article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.