Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Run or walk in the middle of the street in the dark?

I for the most part think it's pretty dumb to walk/run in the street anyway, what the hell do you think the sidewalk is for.

Oh and don't get me started on bikers!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask the lady that was running up a very busy street on the morning of the worst snowfall we've had all year. Cars we're sliding all over the place trying to not kill her and all she did was give nasty looks.

Last year, on the same busy road, we live on top of big hill and skateboarders were taking to shooting down the hill into traffic all through the night. It's a bloody miracle nobody got killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh you mean...the road?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

I for the most part think it's pretty dumb to walk/run in the street anyway, what the hell do you think the sidewalk is for.

1) There aren't sidewalks in my part of my neighborhood, the street is the only option (other than walking through my neighbor's yards)

2) The vast number of people who do have sidewalks in my neighborhood tend to park the vehicles in their driveway so that they block most of the sidewalk portion of the space, usually with fairly overgrown bushes along the corners, which makes navigating around the vehicles while not being scratched to ribbons by their bushes a fairly shaky proposition.

3) Where I am, if you are older than a certain age, it is a traffic violation to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk. You are to use the designated bike path, or if one is not available, the roadway. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

4) It's dark, and the streetlights aren't set up to illuminate the sidewalks, the street is better illuminated, and more likely to be free of obstacles/irregularities that are likely to trip me on my run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

I thought that's what I meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
jjloc wrote:

1) There aren't sidewalks in my part of my neighborhood, the street is the only option (other than walking through my neighbor's yards)

2) The vast number of people who do have sidewalks in my neighborhood tend to park the vehicles in their driveway so that they block most of the sidewalk portion of the space, usually with fairly overgrown bushes along the corners, which makes navigating around the vehicles while not being scratched to ribbons by their bushes a fairly shaky proposition.

3) Where I am, if you are older than a certain age, it is a traffic violation to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk. You are to use the designated bike path, or if one is not available, the roadway. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

4) It's dark, and the streetlights aren't set up to illuminate the sidewalks, the street is better illuminated, and more likely to be free of obstacles/irregularities that are likely to trip me on my run.
I forgive that on road with no sidewalks or bike paths. The road I'm talking about has sidewalks, is very well-lit and is busy enough you would have to have a death wish to be on it outside of a car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
jjloc wrote:

If there is not a sidewalk then I understand.

Now that I have to get started on the bikes, I don't mean them getting off the street to ride on the sidewalks but if in the street follow the damn laws of the road. Like stop at stop lights, move to the right side of the road so faster vehicles can pass, stop being so damn arrogant you do realize I'm in a car right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Ask the lady that was running up a very busy street on the morning of the worst snowfall we've had all year. Cars we're sliding all over the place trying to not kill her and all she did was give nasty looks.

Last year, on the same busy road, we live on top of big hill and skateboarders were taking to shooting down the hill into traffic all through the night. It's a bloody miracle nobody got killed.

My wife was in Grand Rapids this past week looking for a house. She was, um, er, impressed by the amount of snowfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

The middle of the street is a lengthwise thing - house number 50 or so in a street with 100 houses

The middle of the road is widthwise.

Not over here. The middle of the street and the middle of the road are the same thing.

We didn't invent English. We just tuned it to perfection. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runners tend to run in the street because they are all cracked up on endorphins, and are so high that they can't pick their feet up.

If they run on the sidewalk, the uneven/raised pavers trip them.

So...
It's a druggie thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

The middle of the street is a lengthwise thing - house number 50 or so in a street with 100 houses

Not over here. The middle of the street and the middle of the road are the same thing.

By taking the phrases for two distinct concepts and making them mean the same thing? So what do you call the midpoint between 'sidewalks'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sloan66 wrote:
Runners tend to run in the street because they are all cracked up on endorphins, and are so high that they can't pick their feet up.

If they run on the sidewalk, the uneven/raised pavers trip them.

So...
It's a druggie thing.

It wasn't drugs, it was beer, but I applied this logic once some years ago when running intoxicated. I hit a speed bump and still have the scars... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

By taking the phrases for two distinct concepts and making them mean the same thing? So what do you call the midpoint between 'sidewalks'?

The middle of the street or the middle of the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes people like to live on the edge.

Personally, I took highway to the dangerzone just a little bit too literally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

Doh! Asked the wrong question! What do you call the midpoint of the two ends of the thoroughfare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Don't get me started on people and their cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

Doh! Asked the wrong question! What do you call the midpoint of the two ends of the thoroughfare?

Closest thing would be the middle of the block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

Yep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

In the south, we improved English by adding a distinct term to differentiate second person plural from second person singular. Y'all can see the elegance of this enhancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lewis wrote:
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

In the south, we improved English by adding a distinct term to differentiate second person plural from second person singular. Y'all can see the elegance of this enhancement.

[commence guilty secret]
As a stalwart (to the point of irritating some of my friends) defender of 'good' English, I like and find useful the construct "y'all" for just this reason. It's inconsistent and I don't care.
[end guilty secret]

Move along please, there's nothing for y'all to see here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lewis wrote:
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

I have however met some who stated that Yáll cab=n refer to second person singular, thus removing the distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
kunnagh wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
jjloc wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh you mean...the road?

except that a block is a subdivision of a street I thought, so the middle of the first block could be far away from the middle of the street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
The road is precisely where bicyclists belong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
]I have however met some who stated that Y'all can refer to second person singular, thus removing the distinction.

They're doing it wrong. Y'all is second person plural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.