Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Compton
United States
Boiling Springs
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing my Historical Missions in order!

Mission 10 from Move Out! is my 2nd mission, after having played Mission 4: D-Day Drop into Destiny. (See my Session Report under Ambush!)

After having lost 2 soldiers in my very first Mission (Mission 4), I had to look forward to giving my soldiers CP's and replacements. I started out by attempting to raise 2nd Lt. Anderson's IN from a 4 to a 5. You roll on a chart, and if you get an IN, it gets raised one point, otherwise you just get a Perception point. I failed the roll, rolling only a PC, so I raised 2nd Lt. Anderson's PC from a 6 to 7.

By the way, you give your soldiers CPs for doing outstanding things in combat... like wounding, incapacitating, or killing enemy soldiers for example. When a soldier has received 6 CPs, they can raise one of their stats one point.. except for IN. You have to roll for it instead.

My other soldiers that were eligible, Privates Franks and Grant, both raised their IN from a 1 to a 2.

Now, for my replacements. I had to roll up a new Sgt and PFC. I got an excellent new hardened Sgt Harry Brown, with a 6 PC and +1 WS. The PFC replacement couldn't fill PFC Steve Chambers missing shoes. PFC William Coombs has a PC of 5 and only a -1 WS... not an excellent shot like Chambers was. We'll miss him.

Mission 10: Assault to Kill is a pretty neat mission. It plays on BOTH Maps A and B. You start play on one map, and when all the germans have been either taken out or exited, proceed onto the other map. You get to control artillery in this mission as forward observers. Your soldiers don't get deployed until the second map. So you get to attempt to take out as many bad guys with your mortar fire as possible. And you better take them out, or all 14 bad guys will show up to face against your 8 soldiers on the second map.

Ok, for weapon deployment this time around you aren't limited like in the D-Day drop. I decided right off the bat, since this was going to be a defensive mission for me, to grab a MMG. Looking at the 2nd Map, I saw a nice defensive position on the hilltop in the woods overlooking the complete town and far side of the map. Any germans coming onto THIS map, that survived my arty barrage, was going to have an unwelcome surprise! The mission gives you for free a Bazooka and 4 extra rounds of any ammo you want. I gave the Bazooka to my new Sgt along with a M1 and plenty of ammo. That MMG is expensive in weapon points, so I only gave out M1's to the rest of my boys plus a few grenades. I made sure I had 3 or 4 rounds of bazooka ammo as well.. just in case a tank showed up. After all, this is an assault for the germans. I gave the MMG to Pvts Franks and Hunter. (It is a crew weapon and required 3 port boxes, a single soldier only has 2 port boxes.)

We start out with all the germans setting up automatically on the first map. Each turn you get 2 Burst markers, with an IN of 3 (I believe). You use any marker you want to represent the arty barrages on the action track. I used a KIA marker... hoping it bid me good luck as to what I would unleash on the approaching germans. Each time the marker gets a turn on the action track, you get to place a spotting round and then roll for scatter. If the burst marker on the map is on an enemy... roll for damage. If it didn't hit an enemy, you can either do a new spotting round the next time you get a turn, or WALK IT up to 2 hexes toward/onto an enemy. You have to roll scatter for the Walking arty barrage as well, but it is MUCH more accurate. It only has a 1 hex scatter versus the 2 or so hex scatter from the initial spotting round.

I won't go into much detail on the arty mission. I started out hitting one veteran infantry and wounding them, but pretty much missed everything else up until units were starting to exit the map. My arty then got hot and I managed to take out 6 enemies. Actually, there were 7 kills. 2 highlights were one enemy german getting run over by his own tank! The other was my arty wounding a soldier standing in the stream. The rules say that if a soldier gets wounded in a stream, they drown from having to fall prone.

So, finally we start out on the second map. I immediately move a 3 stack of soldiers.. my new Sgt. Brown with a M1 and Bazooka guiding the Privates Franks and Hunter with the MMG to the perfect spot on the level 3 hill in the woods overlooking the town. The 2nd LT and Pvts. Erickson and Grant head out onto the same wooded hill to the south. PFC Coombs and Pvt Daniels head onto the map from the top wooded section, hoping to get into town and into flanking positions on any germans that might make it that far.

It didn't take long.. enemy artillery shells began landing all around the wooded hill top, but luckily none hit my positions. The MMG gets set up and we wait. PFC Coombs and Pvt Daniels begin working there way forward, when 2 germans get activated and appear on the map. They start in the woodline out of view from ANY of my positions. These 2, a soldier and an NCO, approach through the woodline for several turns. Then, another german activates, this one, in full view of my MMG all the way across the map. Pvt Hunter opens up on him, burns a whole clip and misses. Sgt. Brown barks out that Hunter better start shooting straight and stop wasting ammo. Luckily, Hunter gets another chance and wounds the newly appearing soldier that had just fallen prone.

The wounded soldier gets back up, and then next turn attempts a long range shot.. and jams his weapon. He then proceeds to break his weapon attempting to repair it next turn. Amazing.. the same thing happened to a german sniper in the last game.

By now, however, the NCO had just moved into LOS of the MMG and fell prone in the woodline. Pvt Hunter levels a burst of MMG fire his way, and burns ANOTHER clip of ammo. Only 4 clips left for the MMG.. I better stop burning ammo this fast. The NCO gets back up and fires off an extreme long range burst with his machine pistol at the MMG crew. He gets lucky and hits Pvt Franks and incapacitates him. I'm glad I have Sgt Brown to take up on feeding the MMG clips of ammo!

PFC Coombs and Pvt Daniels continue to move through the woods to the north, approaching the town. They are out of LOS from any activated germans so far.

The german soldier moves into the woodline with the NCO and takes a shot at the MMG crew with his bolt rifle.. missing. Hunter and Brown open up on both the soldier and NCO. The NCO had just crouched into a firing position and gets hit with a full burst killing him instantly, and the automatic 30mm weapon fire wounds the soldier in the same hex. Take Note: automatic weapon fire and more than one soldier in hex isn't pretty. You're usually a sitting target. All the while this is going on, Lt Anderson is pointing out commands and giving turns to the MMG crew too, so I had 2 commanders giving turns to crew the MMG and it was paying off big time.

Meanwhile, Pvts Erickson and Grant are heading to the 2 story building to get into sniper position. They start to panic a lot, but eventually get there.

Finally, the German LT and a veteran infantry counter show up. They low crawl through the woods and into the brush within LOS of the MMG. (Still all the way across the map, however) The MMG opens up on the Veteran Inf and kills him, but misses the LT every time. The German LT manages to get into town, when we hear rumbling. Uh-oh.. not good... here comes those 2 german tanks I completely missed with the artillery. Sgt Brown takes a quick shot with his M1 towards the wounded soldier at the top of the map and finishes him when a Panzer IV drives slowly onto the map and opens up with both Bow and Coaxial MGs onto my MMG spot. It eats up the position, incapacitating Pvt Hunter and wounding the Sgt. (Remember what I just said about automatic weapon fire and more than one target in a hex? Well, it just got reversed on me... nasty.) A German Jagpanther shows up on the lower part of the map and proceeds to head to town.

Time to start sweating here.. the Sgt with the Bazooka just got wounded. To make matters worse, the Panzer IV gets 2 more turns to open up on my MMG position. Luckily all further shots miss as I abandon the MMG and low crawl with Sgt Brown out of sight. Lt Anderson meets up with him in the woods and Sgt Brown gives the Bazooka and rounds of ammo to the LT. Time for Clint Eastwood heroics here.

PFC Coombs and Pvt Daniels had just made it into the town proper when they hear the rumbling of tracks. They decide to just hit the deck in a building and STAY PRONE until it goes by. They haven't seen the tank, but they don't want it seeing them either.. becuase it will just open up on them with the cannon in a building.. even if it can't see them, but at least saw them once. I decide the same thing for my other two privates that had just gotten to the second level of the building for sniper shots. They stay prone and out of sight.

So, Clint Eastwood-Lt Anderson grabs the bazooka and heads into town, being sure to stay out of sight behind buildings. I'm not even going to show these tanks a view until they pass by me themselves. The Lt gets to the first building and crawls inside a window. Then, wonder of wonders.. help shows up! A US Sherman tank appears and heads into town from our side of the map. This should be interesting.. 1 US tank and 1 LT with a Bazooka against a Panzer IV and Jagpanther.

The Panzer heads towards town and suddenly turns to head around it, while the Jag stays in spot and begins searching for targets. They both seem hesistant, as all US targets have disappeared from view. (Note: They never saw ANY of my troopers, if they had, they would just start shooting the walls of the buildings they were in.)

The Sherman heads full on.. driving slowly, but never stopping and drives all the way through town and into the crossroads where he fires off a tank main gun round at the Panzer IV. First shot, first kill, as the Sherman round penetrates the side of the hull on the panzer and knocks it out. But alas, the jag has received two turns and moves forward finally into LOS of the Sherman, firing a round at it. Luckily it hits the tracks on the Sherman and immobilizes it! The Sherman has a chance, but loses the initiative next turn. The Jag gets 2 turns, reloads, and puts another round through the hull of the sherman, knocking it out. It appears that 2nd Lt is going to have to take out this jag... but in the meantime, the german LT shows up and cuts the corner at the wrong time. Lt Anderson takes 2 quick snapshots out the window at him and puts him down. Luckily this all happened out of LOS of the jag.

Lt Anderson lays prone again in the building and waits. The Jagpanther obliges and moves around the town to the south, right past the building Lt Anderson is in. By the time the jag had got there though, SGT Brown had managed to crawl within 2 hexes of LT Anderson and gives him his turn. This allows Lt Anderson to calmly walk out the back of the building, right behind the Jagpanther, and taking another turn, to AIM and pull the trigger on the bazooka, blowing up the Jagpanther with an excellent shot to its rear armor.

With the last enemy AFV out of action, PFC Coombs and Pvt Daniels jump up, head out back and take out the last remaining wounded german soldier that had broken his weapon to the north of the map. This finished off all the enemy and I go back into operations. I had 2 inc soldiers to drag off the map. I managed to only get Franks off ok, as Hunter (who had 3 wnds/kills with the MMG) died one hex from exit from blood loss!

Still, I won the game handidly with like 15 extra VP's because I did such a good job taking out the enemy with my artillery and taking out the 2 german tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer777 wrote:
The rules say that if a soldier gets wounded in a stream, they drown from having to fall prone.

Where the rule mentions this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Wargamer777 wrote:
The rules say that if a soldier gets wounded in a stream, they drown from having to fall prone.

Where the rule mentions this?

It's not in the rules per se, but in the charts. The Movement Point Cost Chart, specifically.

The row with "Stream Hex" is marked with a footnote. The footnote says: "Can be entered only when standing. Soldiers cannot fall prone or crouch in a stream. If forced to fall prone due to being wounded or incapacitated, he drowns. A panicked soldier does not fall prone in a stream."

So yes, if you wound or incapacitate a soldier (or if one of your is) while standing in a strem, he'll die. Moral of the story: Do not stand in streams
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A wonderful report and an exciting game too, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hritz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The great thing about putting you MG crew up there is they can see the enemy well. The bad thing is the enemy can see you too. With PKWs knocking about, I wouldn't put them in plain view. I like the BAR instead of the MMG because it's more mobile if you need to get out of sight when the squeaky wheels come. But hey, that's just how I role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.