Subject: BGG.CON - Team Geek 2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lainie Theys
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the incredible hard work and success of last year’s Team Geek, we’re going to have a bigger and better team for BGG.CON 2013.

Team Geek is the elite crew of volunteers who work tirelessly throughout the convention to make sure that everyone has the best time possible...and they do a fantastic job of it (see the feedback thread from last year)! It can be exhausting, but if you're hard-working, extroverted, and enjoy going above and beyond the call of duty, it is tremendously rewarding. If you like being a host/hostess to guests and visitors, if you're outgoing and enjoy meeting new people, if you like seeking out and helping those who need it, and if you want to be part of a great team making BGG.CON even better in 2013, please consider applying!

Team Geek members will be required to attend a Tuesday, November 19th orientation from 7 – 9 pm. Team Geek shifts will be available from the time we start setup on Tuesday until we finish tear down on Sunday.

What will Team Geek members be doing? A little bit of everything:
• Setting up and tearing down
• Assisting with registration
• Smiling
• Covering library shifts
• Asking “How can I help you?”
• Supporting various events
• Running around everywhere…(basically bringing the awesome for 2000+ attendees)
• And whatever else we might think up

So what, you may ask, do you get in exchange for your 16 – 20 hours (or more if you’re crazy) of slave labor help?
• Free convention registration for each Team Geek member
• Your own, personalized Team Geek jersey
• Access to the pre-convention party (aka Tuesday Orientation from 7pm to 9pm)

If you are interested, please go to the application and read the fine print carefully. If you are still interested, complete the questions on the form and submit it in before Sunday, February 24th at midnight CST. It will take us a week or so to review the applications and get back to everyone.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFlLalJ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're wondering, here was Team Geek for 2012:

They worked their tails off, and I gotta say, really made BGG.CON a success. It's hard work (4-hour shifts each day can get tiring, for sure), but they oftentimes were asking us how they could help even when they were "off the clock." Amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting to go to BGG.con for years now, but my student teaching schedule always got in the way. Now that I'm free, I'm always happy to help out with stuff like this. Application already filled out.

BTW, I didn't mention my night job with my plant requires heavy lifting, so if you need a grunt...UNGA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawd. I would do it for the jersey alone. Can't guarantee I'll have the travel budget for Texas this year, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
Gawd. I would do it for the jersey alone. Can't guarantee I'll have the travel budget for Texas this year, though...

Maybe we need to just get a car together and do the insane thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:

Having been a member of Team Geek last year, I have to admit that the jersey is pretty freakin awesome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'd totally be up for it. I live near Denton, Texas - very close. But I'm not sure how confident that I'll be around in November; might be overseas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Awesome
United States
A-Nation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ldmimage wrote:

• Running around everywhere…(basically bringing the awesome for 2000+ attendees)

This is everyday of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a blast and definitely a good way to give back to the BGG community. I'm going to be a Conference Associate (CA) at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) this year. Wish I had the money to go down to BGG.CON and volunteer there too! Maybe in a year or two when I settle down and find myself a job in the game industry. =)

Until then I hope everyone has fun and mad props to the people who are part of Team Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bia Lins
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope to see you guys there!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: does this mean there will no longer be mini-shifts of library volunteers who are NOT Team Geek?

I love giving back, but I help run conventions twice a year, and spend several shifts helping out/running games at others. BGG.con is my vacation -- the only con I currently attend where I don't take on a judge schedule or other heavy responsibilities. But still, giving back is part of the fun, so I teach games (on my own, at-whim, schedule) and put in a couple of hours at the library. At the 18-hour mark, though, I've passed out of vacation-land; that's more than I'd be willing to commit to. Will that mean no library shifts at all for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no...the library volunteers will still be needed (and greatly appreciated)! Although the final details haven't been completely nailed down yet, Team Geek will be a supplement to you guys, similar to how they manned the bag check last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case -- awesome! I'd hate not to be able to contribute at all, but it's wonderful to have one con a year which is primarily devoted to just having fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Carlson
United States
Austin
Washington, California, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kansas, Colorado, Nevada, Hawaii, etc. :-)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to be of Service on the BGG Con 2013 Team...! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping to volunteer for Team Geek this year. I signed on for the first time in ages to see when the apps would be up, and find I've already missed it. Poop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sachnik
United States
The Colony
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how do you become a volunteer? I applied for teamgeek but was not chosen; does this put me in a pool of potential volunteers for things like the library?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sachmo wrote:
how do you become a volunteer? I applied for teamgeek but was not chosen; does this put me in a pool of potential volunteers for things like the library?

All you need to volunteer at the library is a paid entry fee to the con. They will have signups a month or 2 before the con starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

and I managed to clear our schedule so we can be at the Con again.

I see that you've closed registration for Team Geek, so I'll just say, we're willing to be on the backup crew or waitlist or whatever, if you're building one.

Thanks!
JAZ
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lina688 wrote:
I was hoping to volunteer for Team Geek this year. I signed on for the first time in ages to see when the apps would be up, and find I've already missed it.

I suspect "being the kind of person who logs on to BGG frequently" is one of the unwritten qualifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
I see that you've closed registration for Team Geek, so I'll just say, we're willing to be on the backup crew or waitlist or whatever, if you're building one.

Team Geek is certainly not the only way to help out at the convention.

We're always happy to have some help on setup day getting the badges ready, and on Sunday when loading out.

Also, the library volunteers are critical to the success of this con and I don't imagine that will ever change. As we get closer to the show be on the lookout for that sign-up wiki page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sachnik
United States
The Colony
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looking out.

Is there any way someone could start an email list to notify potential helpers when the signups do open? It's far enough away that it may slip my mind, and i would hate to miss out on a chance to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
sachmo wrote:
looking out.

Is there any way someone could start an email list to notify potential helpers when the signups do open? It's far enough away that it may slip my mind, and i would hate to miss out on a chance to help.

Probably the best thing to is to subscribe to the BGG.Con forum and then check BGG regularly. I check BGG more often then I check my email, which I assume is normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sachmo wrote:
looking out.

The library signup does not fill up all that quickly. If I recall, they usually have to beg and plead to get the last few spots filled. Regardless, I would still follow Lance's advice and just subscribe to the BGG.con forum. Its the best way to keep up with all posted info related to the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
When do we get to find out who made the cut? I'm sure they'll do a great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
eskmoe wrote:
sachmo wrote:
looking out.

The library signup does not fill up all that quickly. If I recall, they usually have to beg and plead to get the last few spots filled.

Inconceivable! Volunteering in the library is awesome! You get to meet a ton of people, see some games that might have missed your attention, give back to a great community & have fun doing it.

Hope to see you in November!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.