Subject: relationship to SOC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Is this game supposed to be the first city in Settlers of catan? ARe there any similarities? Was this made to be like a TTR to a TTRE? Is this a followup to Settlers of catan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Germany there are books written that take place in the Catan universse. Esalund is a spin off of one of those books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst this undoubtedly bears all the hallmarks of a Klaus Teuber game, Elasund bears little similarity to SoC. The only real similarity is rolling 2d6 for resources and a pirate preventing the production of resources on the roll of a 7. Everything else is different.

The resources are gold and influence, and cannot be traded. In fact, there's no trading at all in the game. There is also ample opportunity for screwage as at heart it's an area control game and often the only way to victory is to tear down the buildings of your opponents and build over them with your own.

The game is longer than SoC, but contains a surprising amount of depth that isn't apparent after the first play. The more I play it, the more I like it. Currently, it's my favourite of all of Tueber's designs. Highly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Coker
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is an English edition available yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.