Popular Tags: [View All]
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case anyone does not know, this is now out! Looks great and a must have for the base game just to have more characters and rooms. Game will become even more unpredictable, especially if you implement random character assignment, then try to work with the team you get, kinda like my favourite game, DOA. This expansion is cheap too, 15 US!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that the US Dungeon Twister materials were a bit different from the original European set (glossy floor tiles, inferior quality character cards), and that any re-issues / expansions would likely be modified to be more in line with the original set. (I've kinda held off buying the game until I knew whether it would be fully compatable with expansions).

So - are the Paladin materials (floor tiles, etc) consistent with the basic set, or can you easily tell the difference between the two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lambert
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
I just purchased this expansion as well [from www.fairplaygames.com] and as far as I can tell, the P&D expansion uses exactly the same quality materials as the basic US set. I can't comment on the quality of the US set vs. the original European set as I haven't seen them.

My only gripe with the quality of the boxing/materials is that there are no bags whatsoever to place all the pieces in so you have to buy your own unless you want a huge mess whenever you open the box. This was a problem with the basic set as well.

Other than that, the expansion looks awesome and I can't wait to play it (I just received it yesterday).

GPF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew M. "Fish" Popowich
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my copy of P&D and Basic Set, both English. There doesn't seem to be any discrepency in quality for the most part (I havn't really used the sets together, but I havn't seen anything) other than two small exceptions: the characters in P&D are thicker, like the token card stock as opposed to the thin material used in the Basic SAet, and the feet/stands are differnt. That's really it as far as I've seen.

Fish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lambert
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
[quote]So - are the Paladin materials (floor tiles, etc) consistent with the basic set, or can you easily tell the difference between the two?[/quote]

As noted above, the card stock used in P&D is thicker, so you can definitely tell which set an item is from by just looking at it (which if you understand how the game is played, you can see how this would be bad).

If I were you, I would hold off on buying this set until there's some way to make sure it's consistent with the base set.

I'm wondering if this is a US manufacturing problem or if it's global... This seems like a pretty bad oversight.

GPF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn that just sucks, my supplier finally has this now. I wonder if there is an easy way to fix it... I mean the items thicker bad, but even worse if the characters are thicker as well, you'll know which are old and new right on the board...crap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We are aware of this problem. We were just waiting for the replacement rooms to arrive in our warehouse before anouncing our solution.

The new edition of the Basic Set is of the same thickness that Paladins & Dragons.
For customers owning the first edition Basic Set, we are shipping all the stores and distributors who bought some, new Room Kits. Those kits are a full replacement set of Rooms, Tokens, and Characters to replace the ones you got in the box.

Please bring back to the shop your set of "thin" rooms to get a replacement set of thick ones.

We present our apologies to our customers.

Stephan @ ASMODEE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the basic set one week ago from fairplaygames.com. Is there a way to identify which version I received -- the original with the thinner pieces, or the new version with the thicker pieces, before I buy the P&D expansion? Is there a marking on the box or in the manual? With online retailers having stock that could be very old, it's no guarantee that my copy is the latest version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin & Dragons is only available in the good version. So no worry on this side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SentientGolem wrote:
Paladin & Dragons is only available in the good version. So no worry on this side.

Thank you for your response, but I was trying to figure out if my Basic Set is the old version or the new version. Would all US Basic Sets purchased to date be the first version, i.e. with the thinner cardboard? Or, could the Basic Set I purchased two weeks ago be the same thickness as the P&D expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If your characters are flexible,ie you can bend them easily, it's first edition.
If your characters are thick and strong, it's 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the box actually show "2nd Edition" anywhere on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my stand-up characters are very thin and flexible. The circular character/object chits are thicker, as are the boards. My concern was with the thickness of the circular character/object chits and the boards, as this is the hidden information at the start of the game. As long as the circular chits and the boards are the same thickness as the P&D expansion, then I'll have no problem.

I guess I'll have to see the P&D expansion chits/boards before I'll know for sure if they match the thickness of my set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.