Subject: Baron Munchausen + Rory's Story Cubes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Duong
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
I recently picked up the Baron Munchausen pdf from DriveThruRPG, and I'm very eager to give it a go with my friends. Unfortunately, we're more of a boardgaming group than an RPG group, and some of them aren't very comfortable with the idea of just coming up with a story on the fly.

Do you think incorporating Rory's Story Cubes into the game would make it easier for them by giving them some additional prompts? How do you think it would be best to go about it?

I suppose I could just leave them on the table for someone to roll if they're having trouble, but I feel reluctant to do that for some reason. Just an instinct to game-ify things a little more, I guess, haha. I was thinking that the first player could roll all of the dice and form a prompt from two or three of them, and then pass off the remaining six or seven to the next player to incorporate into his story. That player would then do the same while generating a prompt and so on and so forth.

What do you guys think? Do you think adding in Story Cubes will help a group of soulless and imagination-deficient boardgamers find a spark of inspiration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know which edition is on DriveThruRPG, but if it's one of the ones with a long list of ideas ("...the time you convinced a Cossack to trade you his horse for a turnip and a length of rubber hose," "...the time you singlehandedly defeated the Belgian Navy while imprisoned in the Bastille," etc.), then maybe you could print that out, cut it up into strips, and have people draw one when it's their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the Story Cubes require imagination.

They could be good to spark ideas for players with some imagination.

Ideally for Munchausen - you want players with LOTS of imagination...

You could introduce a meta-mechanic for story creation-
1) When asking the next person for a story, the Story Cubes are rolled, and the player asking that next storyteller must work out the challenge based on the cubes.
2) When explaining the challenge, they pick up each cube as appropriate to indicate when it is used in the challenge.
3) The cubes are left in front of the new storyteller as a reminder of the challenge (they could also write it down if forgetful)
4) For the cost of a coin to make a wager - the player making the wager, takes one of the cubes and rotates it to show the single element they are wagering on and how the new side illustrates their challenge.
5) If the storyteller doesn't like that wager, they pay them back as normal - and then rotate the cube back to the original side.

This way - the cubes are kind of an ongoing reminder of changes in the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I don't know which edition is on DriveThruRPG, but if it's one of the ones with a long list of ideas ("...the time you convinced a Cossack to trade you his horse for a turnip and a length of rubber hose," "...the time you singlehandedly defeated the Belgian Navy while imprisoned in the Bastille," etc.), then maybe you could print that out, cut it up into strips, and have people draw one when it's their turn.

Yup, already did that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallergeese wrote:

we're more of a boardgaming group than an RPG group, and some of them aren't very comfortable with the idea of just coming up with a story on the fly.
.... (H)elp a group of soulless and imagination-deficient boardgamers find a spark of inspiration?

Allow me to offer a suggestion.
Pick up a copy of Stuff and Nonsense, and Play a round of that before trying the Baron's magnum opus.
Be sure to have your players Read out loud the cards as they cash in for Points.
I have found this breaks the 'mental block' some folks have with getting into the 'flow' of storytelling.

I think having a full set of Rory's Story Cubes is actually a quite Brilliant innovation!! I believe I will incorporate that trick, myself, in future sessions.
Another Great resource to have on the table might be Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game and Goosebumps: Storytelling Card Game.
Having Both Dice and Cards available on the table-top should give the board-game trained mind enough familiar, reassuring tools to give it a Go! (I might also mention:
either having actaully watched one of the Film versions of The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen {either yje Original German film Noir or the Trry Gilliam masterpiece) is almost a given for success.

{ Or: at a bare minimum:
being able to quote Monty Python or Firesign Theater sketches at will....}

As a Coda to my advice {above} relating to the use of Stuff and Nonsense?
I might suggest (as there is no time to watch a Film on game-night)
Introducing Stuff and Nonsense via the Good Professor's Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFL5GTKwonQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkF_XpA5P48

Quote:
"I begin every sentence with an apology: sorry that's the Case, it's just British Policy!
It's probably the case with everything in Honesty:
I use Ten Words when Two would do, honestly!"
If that isn't Munchausen by Doxy, then I'm not the Baron of the Neptunian Empire!

Shine On, you Crazy Diamonds!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-VJOzb-10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.