Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend, my youngest brother is coming to visit, and a friend of mine is running an RPG: Prometheus, as it should have been.

We got to choose from various scientists, engineers, corporate guys, and space marines. I'm a corporate guy, from Yutani Corp., invited there by Weyland himself as an observer, and to report back to Yutani on the advisability of proceeding with the Weyland-Yutani merger. So, although I possess no useful skills whatsoever, and no one in the expedition has to do anything I say, I'm in the enviable category of non-expendable personnel.

There are two drop ships; we're actually the "B" team, so we won't go down to the surface unless something goes terribly wrong . So, I'm pretty sure the adventure will consist of equal parts sippin' Mai-Tais, toning my abs on my NordicTrack, and helping Charlize Theron out of her skin-tight envirosuit. It's going to be awesome.

I know this game is going to be awesome because this same friend ran a campaign for a while where we were space ninjas, and nobody but me knew that it was in the Aliens universe. We would get missions like "zip out to this mining colony on this planetoid in your ninja-ship, slip through the security systems undetected, drop off this crate, and slip back out." Only I knew that the crate contained an alien egg with a facehugger.

We all had different roles & secret information; I was the communications officer, which meant I got the mission briefing, and gave information to the other players on a need-to-know basis. One of them was the medical officer; he had the controls for the sedative injectors in everyone else's suits. Oh, you don't want to do it his way? Maybe your attitude will be improved by a little nap. Click.

Oh yeah, I was secretly an android, and all missions were crew-expendable. If anyone gave me any grief, I was just going to perforate the hull and complete the mission. (And if the medical officer triggered my suit's sedatives, I might have to pretend to be unconscious.)

One of our missions was to assassinate this guy... who I recognized as the guy who designed me. That put me in an awkward position, because I couldn't (really, couldn't) allow that to succeed.

In one mission, I was shouting at another player, "you idiot, if you detonate now, he'll get sucked through the hole, and his suit will get shredded!" Oh yeah, maybe that's what he wants. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
From now on, please refer to your military types as Interstellar Solider Guys or risk corporate wrath. We know where you live and we DO NOT want you to have fun without us getting our pound of flesh.

Thank you,

Your loving friends at GW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I'm a corporate guy, from Yutani Corp.

My two most important skills are:
Psychology - figuring out what people want, how much it's worth to them, when they're bluffing
Extemporaneous Bullshit - great at sounding like I know what I'm talking about

Everyone else is limited to a 5' cube of personal gear, but I have an executive suite, so my first piece of personal equipment is a "NordicTrack, because I fucking can."

My name is Jay Carter, tee hee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how bad-ass this game is going to be:

We're going out there because we received a transmission containing all the data from the Voyager I golden record, in every language known to man, plus many unknown languages. There was also a small amount of data we haven't decoded, and the name "Prometheus" (which was not part of the Voyager record).

What's even more curious is that Voyager I is ~31 billion miles from the sun, headed toward Gliese 445... but the transmission came from the opposite direction.

The signal was received by a Yutani deep listening station. Lacking the resources to pursue it ourselves, we sold the data to Weyland. But as a member of the Yutani board of directors, I happen to know that the message we sold Weyland was not complete: there was a kind of important bit at the end, after "Prometheus," which I can't share, in case other people in the game read this. Ha ha ha!

(We also got timelines of key Weyland developments over the last ~70 years; not everyone got the same information, as the patent process is no longer a matter of public record. So I know some technological developments which other players might not know, and I'm sure they know things I don't.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn! Makes me wish I was roleplaying again. With your group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
So how many clones have you got left and what colour clearance are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most internet jealousy I think I've ever had. And that includes the guy that built a house for his games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Can you setup up streaming audio or a Skype call?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
So how many clones have you got left and what colour clearance are you?

I just loved the experimental equipment you were designated to test whilst on the mission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuhrusty, I'm hoping we get a detailed session report from you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will a session report in the form of a book be forthcoming afterward? Somebody needs to write this up.

ARGH ME TYPES TOO SLOW!ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:

He died in the first room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdberry wrote:
berserkley wrote:

He died in the first room.

In a freak NordicTrack strangulation incident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fucking skin jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Maybe 'smartgun' wasn't the best name for it..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Wait a minute... do we trust everyone who's still alive?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technology update: David model 8.5s bleed type O+, not milk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm assuming something went "terribly wrong".
And then probably more wrong after that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm loving these live tweets. Keep 'em coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"You want a bullet?"

Last words to the surgeon pilot engineer from the "A" team, after drugging him for hypersleep, then changing plans & booting him out the airlock in his space-jammies into low-oxyxen atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, take a poop sample, and check your field manual to see how often Marines poop, and that'll tell us how long he was here."

"Marines don't poop. We roll cigars."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Game over, man... Game over!"

Too much weird stuff happened for a complete accounting, but here are some of the highlights. (Our expedition was a spine ship carrying the two drop ships and a terraforming lander with 150 colonists in stasis. The spine ship can't land, but it's needed for interstellar travel.)

When we're woken up from hypersleep after our 5-year journey, we're told that something has gone wrong: the "A" ship landed three days earlier, and all contact with it was lost 5 seconds before touchdown. "Why didn't you wake us up earlier!?" someone asks David, the synthetic. "I was told to wait three days, then wake you up." Also, we'd been launched from the spine ship three days earlier, and were in orbit while the spine ship was drifting off into space; the spine ship wasn't responding to communication either.

Bishop Weyland, nephew of Peter Weyland, founder & head of the Weyland Corp., is also on our drop ship, but there's clearly something wrong with him when he comes out of hypersleep, so our combat medic marine takes him to the med lab.

Somewhere in there:

- an automated defense system some of us didn't know about triggers in the med lab, nearly killing our combat medic. (We never figure out who triggered this.)

- in addition to giving one crew member an eventually fatal overdose of the wake-up-from-hypersleep drug, David had given me and Bishop an overdose of the go-into-hypersleep drug at launch, five years earlier. (Later, when people accuse me of being paranoid, I remind them that I was poisoned before the mission even began.)

- we learn that someone has tampered with the logs: we haven't been here three days, we've been here eight months and three days, and the "A" ship has made multiple trips to the surface and back to the spine ship.

- there are synthetic versions of me and Bishop; they entered and left our ship several times over the past 8 months, and the last time they left, they were carrying RFID-or-whatever cards which identify them as human, not synthetic. There's also a third person who doesn't show up on video. (We later learn that's a Yutani technology.)

- the communication system on our ship has been sabotaged--not crudely, but over a period of months by someone who knew what they were doing.

- by the time we have that fixed, we've caught up to the spine ship, because there's no way we're going down to the surface without making sure our way back home is still viable.

- now that our communication system is fixed, we can receive the distress signal being sent by the spine ship; it says there's been a biological contamination and all crew are dead, along with all 150 colonists and 200 marines (!?). (No one knows why there were 200 marines on the spine ship.)

- we're also able to tell that drop ship "A" is transmitting, but the signal is too weak for us to decipher at this distance.

- our marines board the spine ship, and determine that it's been overrun by alien lifeforms. Marines (or, someone firing a belt-fed grenade launcher) had been on the spine ship at some point. The control room has been heavily damaged, and the control room for the reactor (which powers up & down intermittently) is overrun, and the doors are welded shut.

- we use the drop ship to stop the spine ship, then hurry back to orbit over the drop ship "A" crash site.

- communicating with the surface, we learn that Harrison, the ship's surgeon, is the only survivor; everyone else was injured in the crash, and he put them into stasis to stabilize them. "Seems legit..." He also says that Peter Weyland, Bishop Weyland, and Jay Carter (me!) departed a few days earlier in "the other spine ship." !? We scan for the other spine ship, but can't find it. "Well, how long would it take a ship like that to accelerate out of range?" "Three days." Nuts. My assumption is that all three are synthetics, and they're on their way back to unleash these eggs on civilization.

- we land to rescue Harrison, which ends (predictably) with him crumpled in the dust in his pajamas with a bullet hole in the back of his head.

- We also learn that the people in the stasis pods had all been impregnated by facehuggers, and one of them says Weyland, Weyland, and Carter had done it. None of the people we revive say they saw a second spine ship, and by that point, Harrison is a little too dead for further questioning.

- In each of at least 7 trips down to the surface, they'd taken 35 of these alien eggs back up to the spine ship. (The eggs are in a multi-level cave not far from the crash site; deeper in this cave is also the origin of the signal which brought us here.)

- Returning to the spine ship, we burn our way into the reactor control room and learn that we can't get the reactor working again, because the core was ejected. And there definitely was another spine ship, because this isn't the one we came here in. It was built two months after the one we came in... and according to its logs, we haven't been here for eight months and three days... it's been forty years and eight months and three days.

Not long after the arguments started by that discovery, we had to call the game on account of exhaustion. Some bits we might have discovered with more time were:
- we hadn't spend five years in FTL travel; we were much closer to Earth--about 8 months. (Why did we ever look at any ships' logs? Not sure.)
- the site we'd landed at was actually a Weyland bioweapons site, and the transmitter of that message was all Weyland Corp. parts.
- the synthetic me was on board our drop ship (I KNEW IT!), and at some point the GM was going to pass me a note saying I'd been replaced, and that I was now playing the synthetic, but he hadn't been able to do that yet because we'd been playing "too paranoid," ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.