High Seas Fleet» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about gunnery factors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having watched the video of this game and the sample play test, I have a few questions. I understand that the German Dreadnaughts and Battle Cruisers, if undamaged, get +1 to their die rolls and that is designated by the circle around their attack factor. Many countries Pre-dreadnaughts have parentheses around their attack factors. What does that symbolize? Also for each hit on a ship reduces its speed by 1 but never below the speed of 1. Does the same hold true for a ships attack factors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your quick response. An additional question is can fleets with more ships than the opponent "pile on" up to 4 ships on a particular ships after all the enemy ships have been attacked by at least one ship? I still await the acceptance of my request to be a play tester, admittedly impatiently, so I can see the rules. I am very excited how this game has expanded the WAS/NNW concept in a positive direction. I am particularly pleased with the combat resolution system, as I know it, which I think better reflects actual WWI naval combat. I have always had issue that a pre-dreadnaught with a combat value of 1 can have a lucky roll of 6 and sink a dreadnaught many times it own size. I also like the use of pursuit rules in lieu of an automatic disable when a 5 is rolled. I am curious how the optional screening rules are applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
In strategic level games, odd things like a predreadnought sinking a dreadnought are supposed to happen, though rarely. Off Samar, the Japanese lost several heavy cruisers to ships too small to appear in the Victory in the Pacific game. Off Guadalcanal the Hiei was pretty much wrecked by CA and CL fire. If a small BB kills a big one, it could be that DD attacks made the difference. The real world was like that, and much less predictable than simple comparisons of capital ship hardware would indicate.

The last class of British predreadnought had the same kind of gun as Dreadnought, just half as big a broadside. And its much heavier secondary armament arguably gave it more like 2/3 of the firepower. Of course a dreadnought is going to win that duel most of the time, but a 2-1 underdog has never won a battle, right? ;-) Using a very detailed tactical sim game I actually had the Prinz Eugen sink the Hood while not getting very badly damaged in return.

The HSF combat system makes it nearly impossible for a predreadnought to sink a dreadnought and live to tell the tale. It's arguably less random than real life, and arguably undervalues predreadnoughts (which are an optional rule anyway). In general I don't like games where one or two crucial die rolls can nearly determine the outcome of the game. Players like that will like HSF since crucial die rolls are rare, mostly interception attempts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your points are well taken. High Seas Fleet combat takes care of the WAS problem of a single combat die hit applying up to 6 hits on the target. With HSF use of command card "critical hit" that could still happen but it would be very rare. I like the balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.