GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,471 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Rise of the Zombies!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spawning zombie attacks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the example game in the rule book there are no zombies in play for their first turn to move and attack. One then spawns and attacks a survivor in the safe house. Does a spawning zombie always attack survivorns in its location? I don't think that is specified anywhere in the rules is it? It just talks about move, attack, spawn. Maybe if it was a 'fast' zombie you could infer an attack from the rules but their example Spitter isn't fast.

Edit: would only happen in the safe house I think as that's the only location where a zombie can spawn somewhere with a survivor in it.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:
In the example game in the rule book there are no zombies in play for their first turn to move and attack. One then spawns and attacks a survivor in the safe house. Does a spawning zombie always attack survivorns in its location? I don't think that is specified anywhere in the rules is it? It just talks about move, attack, spawn. Maybe if it was a 'fast' zombie you could infer an attack from the rules but their example Spitter isn't fast.

Edit: would only happen in the safe house I think as that's the only location where a zombie can spawn somewhere with a survivor in it.

Cheers.

Actually, it doesn't attack. When the Spitter is spawned in the Safe House, he engages the Cheerleader. Whenever a non-group zombie moves or spawns into a location, it has to be determined who the zombie engages. If there is more than one survivor in the location, a die roll is the way to do that. Later in the example, the Spitter is killed by the Scout before it attacks.

And you're right, the Safe House is the only location that a zombie can spawn into with survivors present. Spawning always happens one location behind the rearmost survivor. In this case, everybody is in the first location, so there's no other choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yep I see it now - I'm an idiot Confused 'engages' with 'attacks' despite there being a whole section on it back in the rules.

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Ludwig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
And you're right, the Safe House is the only location that a zombie can spawn into with survivors present. Spawning always happens one location behind the rearmost survivor.

Well if we stick strictly to the term 'spawn' then yes, but this seems misleading for new players. The drawing of Zombie cards after the placement of a new location card is actually spawning Zombies as well and this happens in the new location and not one location behind the rearmost survivor. And if a fast Zombie 'spawns' (i.e. is drawn when the survivor moves to the new placed location) then it also attacks right away (so attacks can happen even if it is not the actual Zombie Attack step of the Zombie Turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.