Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Dillie
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everyone...

Purchased Friedrich for Christmas plus, bought two other games for a couple of friends of mine. We love it. Playing the first time now. A question came up about card no. 11 from the clock of fate pile. Bear in mind this came up in the heat of battle and we cant seem to reach an agreement on its meaning.

We had a victorious general a spade area. Card 11 states that Seydlitz may play a spade 11 in the next prussain turn at a double value.

Question:

1. As per the rules Seydlitz represents the general counter (disc) in the game. This does not refer to an abstract figure anywhere on the board, correct? I believe the rules state these occurrences from the sheet of fate, all refer to the general discs in the game, yes?

2. The other question is does the spade card of an 11 value have to be used in a spade area or is this a special case?

Thanx everyone for your comments in the future, we are having a great time with the game.

Ron D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Tazman49684 wrote:
Card 11 states that Seydlitz may play a spade 11 in the next prussain turn at a double value.

Question:

1. As per the rules Seydlitz represents the general counter (disc) in the game.

2. The other question is does the spade card of an 11 value have to be used in a spade area or is this a special case?

Actually, Card 11 states Prussia may play an 11 of spades at double value (one time). Just as the 13 of spades depicts Friedrich, the 11 of Spades depicts Seydlitz (hence the parenthetical reference).

While the colour text (Frederick orders Seydlitz to engage) refers to specific generals, the actual card effect in italics does not.

Taking all that together and answering your questions:

(1) Seydlitz refers to the general depicted on the 11 of spades card.
(2) Spade cards can only be used when attacking from spade areas.

So to distill it together - should Prussia attack from a spade area in the next turn and they hold the 11 of spades, they may play that card as part of the attack for 22 points (not the normal 11).

Should they hold 2 or more copies of the 11 of spades - they only get this privledge once, not every time they play an 11 of spades while this card is in effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
richards answers are almost correct, especially in quoting the text of the card "Prussia may play ..."

One minor correction though: Prussia may use seydlitz with double value also, if being attacked in a spades area. Or to recruit new armies (whether this is clever or not is up to the player)

cheers

richard sivel

ps.: i hope your first game did not suffer too much from this rules uncertainty.

ps.2: The non-italic text always gives historical background and has actually never a meaning for the game. The italic text gives the effect on game play. Whenever the name of a country is used (e.g., "Austria may...", "All Russian generals..."), it refers to all pieces of that country. Whenever the name of a general is used (e.g., "Soubise may not ...", "Friedrich may not ...") it refers to the specific general)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Dillie
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
To both Richards,

Thank you so much for your quick responses. We would have done it wrong. Fortunately we agree to give the forum a chance before we continued into the next turn. Your help via response on this forum all 3 of us appreciate very much....

Love the game,

Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
rsivel wrote:
One minor correction though: Prussia may use seydlitz with double value also, if being attacked in a spades area. Or to recruit new armies (whether this is clever or not is up to the player)

blush I knew that.

In fact, I had thought I had written my response to allow for any use of the card (attack, defense, recruit), but see now that I had not. From one Richard to another - thanks for making it clear what I had intended to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
richard, i was quite sure that you knew ...

I know how easily words are written and turn out to be sloppy/unpreciese in their meaning ... that's why i commented on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.