Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious -- in many respects Andor looks to be the ideal fantasy adventure game for me and my girlfriend--it doesn't over emphasize combat, has elements of exploration, is narrative driven and is a decent adventure. However, it looks to fail a bit on the character variety and swag (i.e. cool items) categories. As an ex-Arkham Horror and Runebound enthusiast, I **love** having huge, half collapsing stacks of item cards, and adore the insane depths of variety both those games promote.

So, two questions:

1. More content coming?

2. Am I wrong in feeling Andor is a bit limited on this front?

Right now, I'm deciding between Andor, Defenders of the Realm and Talisman (I've sold Prophecy, Runebound and Arkham). I know Defenders is more of a Pandemic puzzler than any of these other titles, but the wealth of character, quest and expansion options makes me include it (I'm counting the 6 proposed 2013 expansions the developer would like to see published).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean aside from Legends of Andor: The Star Shield?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
And the cryptic remark of the Spielbox Crew to wait for the next Spielbox....

And the fan legend in the files section... Which by the way looks very hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I see the expansion, because of the expansion I subscribe to the base game, and the only thread I see in days is one that asks "will there really be an expansion"?

Disappointing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also have the free printing for the Into the Mine legend as well, to bring the total up to 6 for the base game. The expansion was just revealed, so there is limited information available about it right now. Looks cool though!

My wife absolutely loves this game. It's her new favorite. I enjoy it as well. It's a lot of fun. I'd definitely get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
1. More content coming?
Yes.

Quote:
2. Am I wrong in feeling Andor is a bit limited on this front?
No, you are not. Andor has very few items and isn't likely to ever get to an Arkham Horror / Runebound level of complexity in that regard. Andor is more of a puzzle - similar to Defenders of the Realm. It isn't about killing things and grabbing loot. It's about figuring out how to complete your objective in time, with the added random element of combat to make things uncertain.

Quote:
Right now, I'm deciding between Andor, Defenders of the Realm and Talisman (I've sold Prophecy, Runebound and Arkham).
If variety is what you want, Talisman has much more of it than Andor or DotR. It has tons of different items, monsters, events, etc. (when you add in the expansions) so that no two plays of it are ever the same. It is very similar to Prophecy though - so if you sold Prophecy because you didn't like the gameplay, I wouldn't pick up Talisman. If you liked Prophecy but sold it because you played it enough to get bored with it, then Talisman may be just what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrCrow wrote:

Yes, I did pluralize "expansion" in the subject line.

cbrua wrote:

No, you are not. Andor has very few items and isn't likely to ever get to an Arkham Horror / Runebound level of complexity in that regard. Andor is more of a puzzle - similar to Defenders of the Realm. It isn't about killing things and grabbing loot.

I hear you, but I balk at the conflation of "items" and "combat items". One need not imply the others.
Items help differentiate player ability, and are a means of interacting with the game-state, itself, in novel ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I hear you, but I balk at the conflation of "items" and "combat items". One need not imply the others.

I was not making that implication. I did equate items to loot, but of course they could be acquired any number of ways.

My point is that the game is not set up like Runebound or Talisman (or other "dungeon crawl like" games) where you have a deck of item cards with a lot of variety. There are only a few items in Andor. This seems like a deliberate design decision in order to keep the game complexity low. There's nothing stopping the publisher from introducing a bunch of items in an expansion, but I think new items will be introduced sparingly. Part of the charm of Andor is that it is easy to understand the rules and know from the start the potential capability of all of the characters; so you spend more time discussing strategy and less time discussing mechanical things like special powers or item interactions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game and really enjoy it BUT ... I seem to find myself a little wanting ... I'm through the forth scenario and although I could see a little replay ability if I bring my friends in on it ( played solo so far) I think that I am going to be needing more stories very soon.
The problem is that unlike ruinbound DOTR and most of the other games you mentioned ... Which can be replayed again and again ... This game is ( as someone mentioned) a puzzle and once you solve it ... Replay is a little lack luster.
That being Said .... I do really like this game and would have no problem paying for expansions!!! I own Mansions of Madness and those have no replay value at all ( unless you play with a different group). And I really like that game too!!

So lets go with them already ... !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you really solve adventure 3?

I don't believe you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Menzel
msg tools
designer
Hello

For those who want to invent their own legends now the english version of the "Developer Guide" is online:

www.legends-of-andor.com

Kind regards
Micha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Z
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Menzel wrote:
Hello

For those who want to invent their own legends now the english version of the "Developer Guide" is online:

www.legends-of-andor.com

Kind regards
Micha

Excellent! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Fournier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Beer Card!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Menzel wrote:
Hello

www.legends-of-andor.com

Kind regards
Micha

Great stuff. Your game just moved up to #1 on my wishlist (and my next purchase!). I was slightly worried by the replayability, but this guide is gonna be extremely useful to the community, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Anquetil
France
Toulon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice !

See you at Cannes by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.