Subject: Albuquerque in Flames - part 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Harned
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after getting advice off of this board a friend and I are playing our first game on Vassal. We've play WiF several times over the years and have decided to play the Delux campaign game. I'm the Axis and he's the Wallies (so if there's an Axis slant to these reports you know why). We're excited to try pilots, CV planes and the Sif counters.

Rules: Most optional rules in play, but due to our noobie-ness no Cif/Pif/Aif/Lif/factories/food. House rules: no Japanese allowed in European maps and CW pays a penalty (1BP) if it removes it's fleet from the Pacific maps. Also are playing with strategic sub warfare.

After noticing that we'd mis-played the LOC Vichy rules and had created a strategic problem we decided to re-set to the Vichy creation (end of M/A '40). So we pick-up the game at the start of M/J '40.

S-O '40 Rain, Rain, Go Away

Allies won initiative despite Axis +2. There were a total of 5 impulses due to modified weather rolls of 9, 11, and 11! Suffice to say if it wasn't raining it was storming almost everywhere.

Germany: Yugoslavia was to fall this turn, but constant rain and storms in the temperate made that assault too risky so Germany spent her meager two impluses hoping for a break in the weather and moving troops south towards Gibraltar. They also bolstered the garrison on the Russian border with significant ARM/MECH.

IT: Not much to report other than moves to provide garrisons troops in France.

JA: The miserable weather did not leave the Chinese theater alone either so the Japanese simply shuffled troops around in hopes of a better campaign season in the winter.

CW: Beneficiaries of a respite while the storms waged the CW spent their 3 impulses reinforcing Egypt and Morocco while their sub forces moved towards the Pacific.

China: Watched it rain and sought insight into koans.

FF: Moved their subs to the E. Med. (Axis spies believe they are moving to Pacific waters in case of war with Japan.

USSR: Moved more troops to the Polish border.

US: No action, no US Entry options.

Miserable turn for the Axis. The cancellation of the Yugoslav aggression may come back to haunt. Any turn in 1940 in which almost no Allied forces are destroyed is a clear victory for the Allies. Maybe N/D will bring better weather (it couldn't get much worse).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Afzelius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi :-)

Just a little hope about better weather or just to say it could go worser.....

I did try to get +1 on the weather roll for S/O 1941 (carryed over from a 10 in J/A). USSR won the init even with +1 axis and reroll and rolled 10 +1 on weather followed by rolling EOT 1 after the 2nd USSR impuls......

I dont think I need to say anything about chances but lets just say that in wif things happen

BTW it was still a fun and long game DD

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Harned
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

EOT on the 2nd impulse! Yikes!

I feel marginally better about the horrific weather in S/O '40 now. We haven't played the game much but I have a nagging feeling that victory and defeat are made-up of such little things like how many impulses each side gets each turn, weather, EOT, etc...

In any event as you said it's a great game and fun to play.

BTW: 1st impulse in N/D and we rolled a 3 (+2 for previous turn) = 5 for the weather. Not bad. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.