Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Most underrated cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This thread is for posting what cards you think are the most underrated in the game right now...

- I think The Helpful AI is massively underrated. The link it gives is useful, but the fact that its strength boost lasts for the whole turn lets you use it when encountering multiple ice of the same type and during multiple runs in the same turn. You can trash it to give one of your icebreakers alot of reach during a critical turn. I wouldn't splash The Helpful AI outside of Shaper, but I would always take 1-2 in any Shaper deck I played. I think it's a good example of an underrated card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lord of Space
msg tools
I'd say Vamp... though it has been picking up steam lately, it's still pretty underrated in my opinion

As for corp cards, maybe Shipment from Kaguya? It doesn't seem to get a lot of love, but I think it's a great card. Spend 1 action to get a 2 action 2 cred equivalent, so basically it saves you 1 action and 2 credits. Not too many cards do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Data Mine. I used to think that card was crap, until I started putting Chum in front of it. OWCH - it works more often than it should.

Yog.0. I know there are Ice it can't break, but for that there's Ice Carver, Data Sucker, and The Personal Touch [EDIT: and Helpful AI]. A few of those, and you're breaking any Code Gate for free (as opposed to most of them, which it does fine without being modded). I love them; I try to splash one or two in every deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neural Katana, it is the ONLY ICE that is threatening before the runner installs a program. 2 inf prevents it from being splashed more freely, but I'd take it over Ichi 1.0 in most situations.

Runner side, I'd say Kate herself. She's half of what makes the Aesop economy so strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
Neural Katana, it is the ONLY ICE that is threatening before the runner installs a program. 2 inf prevents it from being splashed more freely, but I'd take it over Ichi 1.0 in most situations.

Runner side, I'd say Kate herself. She's half of what makes the Aesop economy so strong.

But Wall of Thorns loves you...

Flaminghito has definitely convinced me that Neural Katana is among the best early game Central Server protectors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Duncan
United Kingdom
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of Space wrote:
As for corp cards, maybe Shipment from Kaguya? It doesn't seem to get a lot of love, but I think it's a great card. Spend 1 action to get a 2 action 2 cred equivalent, so basically it saves you 1 action and 2 credits. Not too many cards do that.

Kaguya only actually saves you the 2 credits, since you have to factor in drawing the card as well. Saying that though, I agree that it's underused. For non-Weyland factions it has the same equivalent credit gain as Hedge Fund, provided you were going to be spending the credits on advancing.

I reckon it will see more play with the new Weyland transaction that generates money for advanced ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
legroove wrote:

Kaguya only actually saves you the 2 credits, since you have to factor in drawing the card as well. Saying that though, I agree that it's underused. For non-Weyland factions it has the same equivalent credit gain as Hedge Fund, provided you were going to be spending the credits on advancing.

I reckon it will see more play with the new Weyland transaction that generates money for advanced ice.

I'd disagree, it saves you 2 credits, and converts your mandatory draw into an action. This is really useful! Corp often draws more times than it wants to, converting the draw into an action again is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Duncan
United Kingdom
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
legroove wrote:

I'd disagree, it saves you 2 credits, and converts your mandatory draw into an action. This is really useful! Corp often draws more times than it wants to, converting the draw into an action again is good.

Calculating the exact value of drawing a card is tough, especially with economy cards (which this roughly falls under). You're right that this does directly spend your draw to save you an action, but if you drew a different econ card could you save more actions by needing to click for credits less? Or did you have to take out a non-econ card to include this and is your deck suffering in some other way?

I'm not trying to present an answer, I definitely haven't got this cracked, I just think both ways of seeing it have something to add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:

I think this needs some clarification - multiple ICE are threatening before the Runner installs a Program:

Neural Katana
Data Mine
Wall of Thorns
Viktor 1.0 (kinda)
Hunter
Tollbooth
Shadow
Enigma

And that's just the Core set and probably not all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu B.
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angrist wrote:
This thread is for posting what cards you think are the most underrated in the game right now...

- I think The Helpful AI is massively underrated. The link it gives is useful, but the fact that its strength boost lasts for the whole turn lets you use it when encountering multiple ice of the same type and during multiple runs in the same turn. You can trash it to give one of your icebreakers alot of reach during a critical turn. I wouldn't splash The Helpful AI outside of Shaper, but I would always take 1-2 in any Shaper deck I played. I think it's a good example of an underrated card.

I'm with you about Helpful AI, I use 3 of them in my Anarch deck. I use his sacrifice ability to give +2 strength to Yog.0 or Mimic when my Data Suckers is not charged.

Helpful AI, Data Sucker, Ice Carver and Personal Touch, all have awesome synergy with Yog.0 and Mimic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:

I think this needs some clarification - multiple ICE are threatening before the Runner installs a Program:

Neural Katana
Data Mine
Wall of Thorns
Viktor 1.0 (kinda)
Hunter
Tollbooth
Shadow
Enigma

And that's just the Core set and probably not all of them.

All of those ICE are inconvenient, but the only one that threatens me, the one I am cautious about hitting, is Neural Katana. Even Wall of Thorns, which costs 8 and makes me discard 2, is a much less favorable trade for the corp than Katana, though I did forgot about it I admit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Aubuchon
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
All of those ICE are inconvenient, but the only one that threatens me, the one I am cautious about hitting, is Neural Katana. Even Wall of Thorns, which costs 8 and makes me discard 2, is a much less favorable trade for the corp than Katana, though I did forgot about it I admit.

Well put. An early Katana (ESPECIALLY out of faction) can be an absolute beating at relatively little cost to the corp. It's certainly the only thing I want to see on turn 1 less than a Snare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NBN's Matrix Analyzer is really underated.

A three cost ICE wall that reaches 6 strength is a very nice stop on your R&D. 3 Cost = -1 Rez IceWall, -1 Install Matrix Analyzer on second row, -1 Rez Matrix Analyzer. Each subsequent run costs the runner more and more eventually locking up your ICE Wall. =) Also, it can advance for you if the timing is right saving you a click and credit.

Not sure the card is splashable in every deck, but then it wouldn't be underrated =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orange Devil
msg tools
Datadealer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
NBN's Matrix Analyzer is really underated.

A three cost ICE wall that reaches 6 strength is a very nice stop on your R&D. 3 Cost = -1 Rez IceWall, -1 Install Matrix Analyzer on second row, -1 Rez Matrix Analyzer. Each subsequent run costs the runner more and more eventually locking up your ICE Wall. =) Also, it can advance for you if the timing is right saving you a click and credit.

It doesn't save you a credit, you still have to spend 1 to use Matrix Analyzer's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Chis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
hoobajoo wrote:

It doesn't save you a credit, you still have to spend 1 to use Matrix Analyzer's ability.

You are saving the credit by means of the opportunity cost of using the click to manually advance Ice Wall instead of taking a credit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdc273 wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:

You are saving the credit by means of the opportunity cost of using the click to manually advance Ice Wall instead of taking a credit.

Then you don't save the click. Either way, my point is it isn't free, it's essentially half off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Ash

Couldn't believe how many people dismissed it when it came out. I get the sense that a lot of people have woken up to how good it is, but we're in that awkward phase were a lot of people are keeping quiet about strategy due to ongoing OCTGN tourney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyckKabongo wrote:

Ash

Couldn't believe how many people dismissed it when it came out. I get the sense that a lot of people have woken up to how good it is, but we're in that awkward phase were a lot of people are keeping quiet about strategy due to ongoing OCTGN tourney.

Ash?? I don't really remember a time when anyone didn't like him since he was spoiled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.